Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Direct debit doesn't suit my payment options. Never use them. Why do I have to give a

Options
  • 26-06-2013 4:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Direct debit doesn't suit my payment options. Never use them. Why do I have to give a €300 security deposit? Have never missed a bill. Thinking of switching to a more customer friendly company.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭EI: Una

Good afternoon Twink85,

It is standard for a utility company to apply a security deposit to a new customer's account. In our case, direct debit is the means of eliminating the €300 security deposit. If the customer does not register direct debit and pays the security deposit, the deposit is removed after 14 months of cleared bills.

New customers paying by direct debit can also avail of our discounts of up to 10% on each fuel. These discounts cannot be availed of without direct debit.

An account on direct debit can also be treated as a pre-pay one during the two-month period between bills: the customer can pay into the account whenever they wish, in order to reduce the total of the eventual bill - provided they make the payments electronically only (e.g. via online banking, paying by debit card on our website) and allow sufficient time between their final payment and the bill being collected (to avoid cross-over).

Do let us know if you require further assistance.

Regards,
    Una

• Registered Users Posts: 3 twink85

[size=medium]I have been a customer for 9 months. Have never missed a payment with you or any utility company. Cannot guarantee payment on the same day every 2 months so direct debit does not suit. You're not very accommodating to self employed customers. I just want to receive my bill and pay it. Why have you made it so complicated? Where am I supposed to get €300? Why do you assume that if someone cannot pay by direct debit that they are not going to pay? [/size]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭EI: Una

Hello again Twink85,

Electric Ireland's policy of charging a €300 deposit to a new residential customer's account (until 14 months is up) unless they pay by direct debit is applicable to all such customers - it is a standard security measure.

Electric Ireland bills are generated at different dates each month as the issuing of them is dependent on when the meter is read/usage is estimated. Payment in full is required two weeks from the issue date of the bill. If a customer is paying by direct debit and they have the funds to pay the bill as soon as they receive it, they can do so once it is via electronic means. The direct debit will not be presented for collection if the customer pays the full bill in sufficient time beforehand; a minimum of five working days is the safest margin.

Another way of paying into an account electronically is via our EasyPay card - a customer can make payments via this device at the post office/a Payzone or PayPoint retailer.
    If you wish, we could send an EasyPay card to you?

Regards,
    Una

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭De Bellem

Hi twink 85

This  is DeBellem  who has posted on electric irelands discount policy. .Eventhough we have slightly different  issues  I think we share the same inflexibility of electric  Ireland. and  their bland read it from the script answers.

I have posted my feelings of frustration  and  I feel my thoughts could apply to you and toothers as well. Take a look and reply if you want.  DB

Advertisement