Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving from Ireland to UK - one-way car hire?

Options
  • 26-06-2013 4:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hi, I'm about to move to England and I have too much stuff to fly with it all. The most sensible way seemed to be to rent a car in Dublin, put all my stuff in it, get the ferry and then drop the car off in England. However, I can't find any rental places that seem to offer this service; I used some comparison sites to try and sort it out but only one gave me any options, and wanted 1300 euros additional fee for the one-way drop off! Does anyone have any suggestions or other ideas please? I'll be headed to the South West of England so could drop it off at one of the airports there after unloading my stuff.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭splanagan22

.H. wrote: »
    Hi, I'm about to move to England and I have too much stuff to fly with it all. The most sensible way seemed to be to rent a car in Dublin, put all my stuff in it, get the ferry and then drop the car off in England. However, I can't find any rental places that seem to offer this service; I used some comparison sites to try and sort it out but only one gave me any options, and wanted 1300 euros additional fee for the one-way drop off! Does anyone have any suggestions or other ideas please? I'll be headed to the South West of England so could drop it off at one of the airports there after unloading my stuff.

When I came over I put all my gear on a pallet and shipped it over via a logistics company. €120 delivered to my door. If your stuff will fit in a car im fairly sure it will fit on a pallet. €1300 seems mad and no way would I entertain it

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

When I came over I put all my gear on a pallet and shipped it over via a logistics company. €120 delivered to my door. If your stuff will fit in a car im fairly sure it will fit on a pallet. €1300 seems mad and no way would I entertain it

This ^^

Renting a car one way to a different country is always crazy expensive because someone has to drive it back to the country you drove it from.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭afatbollix

You could rent a man with a van for that price!

Best to do the pallet thing or rent a guy with a van. If you have a good friend they might be able to drive you over.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 .H.

Thanks all for your suggestions, in the end we're actually going to courier some heavy/bulky stuff first and fly over - quicker and less hassle! We don't have any items of furniture, so we're going to ship two 20kg boxes of stuff for 25 euros each through Parcel2Go and take 2 full cases each on the plane too.

Advertisement