Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disability = higher rent supplement?

Options
  • 26-06-2013 4:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys

My new CWO just told me that as I've several illnesses that'd qualify me as disabled, or are relevant for the purposes of rent supplement, I can look for private rented accommodation to suit my needs and there is discretion allowed in the upper limits for private rent, when applying for rent supplement. E.g. If the upper limit is €300 p.m. in Dublin for shared accommodation and you're disabled, they will consider a request for rent supplement if you find a house share at €400 p.m. I'm submitting statements, medical reports etc with my rent supplement application early next week and I'm wondering if anyone's had this type of higher discretionary rent supplement granted and what the circumstances were. Getting info on social welfare specifics can be like getting blood from a stone, so I'm keen to learn of other cases / precedents in case I'm declined. Feel free to PM me if you prefer.

Many thanks
    Max :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭livemusic4life

Hi there, my sister had been privately renting a bedsit as it was all she could afford with RA.

Because of medical documentation stating that the lack of space in the bed sit was making her depression worse and also that cooker was two feet from the bed was making her breathing problems worse, cwo advised her that she would be entitled to more RA. There are upper limits officially, but unofficially a cwo can make a judgement call and offer more. I asked cwo out of curiosity once but was given a brush off.

My sister is now living in a nice flat and is much healthier. I think you have to prove why a standard place wouldn't be suitable for your medical condition.

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Max001

Sincere thanks for that info. As others have probably found, it can be an extremely frustrating system to deal with, so the more info that's shared in places like boards, the better off we all are :)

Advertisement