Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best bank to use?

Options
  • 26-06-2013 5:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭

just came from bank of Ireland, I was asking them about the new charges coming in, e.g 28 cent every time you use an atm, as I am a student, most of the charges wont affect me but the girl working there said everyone will have to pay 5 euro maintenance fee every 3 months:eek: I think that is crazy and will probably move my money to another bank that does not charge 20 euro a year maintenance fees plus more when I graduate.

anyone know if the likes of AIB charge similar fees?
    willing to move to any bank.suggestions welcome.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

just came from bank of Ireland, I was asking them about the new charges coming in, e.g 28 cent every time you use an atm, as I am a student, most of the charges wont affect me but the girl working there said everyone will have to pay 5 euro maintenance fee every 3 months:eek: I think that is crazy and will probably move my money to another bank that does not charge 20 euro a year maintenance fees plus more when I graduate.

anyone know if the likes of AIB charge similar fees?
    willing to move to any bank.suggestions welcome.

I opened an account with BOI about a month ago and students dont pay anything for banking and you dont have to pay anything for 3 years after you graduate. I also have an AIB account & find they know their stuff. I have found BOI tend not to know the company policies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭homeless student

hfallada wrote: »
    I opened an account with BOI about a month ago and students dont pay anything for banking and you dont have to pay anything for 3 years after you graduate. I also have an AIB account & find they know their stuff. I have found BOI tend not to know the company policies

students will have to pay the maintenance fee though according to the girl I was talking to in the bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

OP every bank will have terms including the breakdown of any fees available on their websites.
    It's best that you read these and make yourself familiar with them so you know what charges may apply in your situation.

OP every bank will have terms including the breakdown of any fees available on their websites.
    It's best that you read these and make yourself familiar with them so you know what charges may apply in your situation.

I prefer the opinions of honest Irish citizens (the type you might find on boards)people not the banks;)

I prefer the opinions of honest Irish citizens (the type you might find on boards)people not the banks;)

Opinion is irrelevant in this situation. .you need the facts of what they charge and how, the only place you will find that is on their websites.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,252 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Ask on Bank of ireland forum on boards http://www.boards.ie/ttforum/1522

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

students will have to pay the maintenance fee though according to the girl I was talking to in the bank.

The girl in the bank is wrong.

Fungus wrote: »
    The girl in the bank is wrong.

im glad

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Any chance someone that knows their stuff can give a mini breakdown of the best bank to move to for just day to day banking. Im disgusted with BOI now, done my damn hardest to stay fee free the last few years, now the €5 a quarter is too much after everything the banks have done to us. I see AIB are no better now. Who would be the best bank on the high street or even perhaps an internet bank to go with to try to achieve free banking.

snaps wrote: »
    Any chance someone that knows their stuff can give a mini breakdown of the best bank to move to for just day to day banking. Im disgusted with BOI now, done my damn hardest to stay fee free the last few years, now the €5 a quarter is too much after everything the banks have done to us. I see AIB are no better now. Who would be the best bank on the high street or even perhaps an internet bank to go with to try to achieve free banking.

PTSB if you can lodge 1,500 a month into the account. Just to note there are some charges on some transactions, so best to read their terms to ensure that if you do move you're not caught out by the 'free banking'.

• Advertisement

The lodging of 1500€ a month is the tricky one for me.

The lodging of 1500€ a month is the tricky one for me.

This is the thing, noone on here is able to know your intimate financial dealings, so only you can figure it out if you meet their criteria.

I logged into my BOI account this morning and they are changing their fees again in August. Introduction of a five euro flat fee plus transactions fees (but they have been lowered across the board).
    I can meet the PTSB criteria so I'm going to move to them.

To be honest, you are best off logging into each website and checking their fees against each other based on your circumstances, ringing their customer lines and asking them specific questions relating to you and your banking needs based on the information you find on their websites.
    You could also check out www.bonkers.ie - I've used that site to move service providers before to save myself some money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 madmax92

Well I'm in Poland right now and here everything is free. No fees. No fee for a card (some Banks have fees if you DON'T USE the debit card). Accounts are free. No goverment duties etc. Anyway. What is now the cheapest/best bank for a student in IE? I'm finishing university in PL, and I'm planning to do my masters in Dublin/Galway (Computer Science). But paying for something that in other countries is free is senseless. So I'm looking for bank which is customer friendly, not customer's money friendly :)

madmax92 wrote: »
    Well I'm in Poland right now and here everything is free. No fees. No fee for a card (some Banks have fees if you DON'T USE the debit card). Accounts are free. No goverment duties etc. Anyway. What is now the cheapest/best bank for a student in IE? I'm finishing university in PL, and I'm planning to do my masters in Dublin/Galway (Computer Science). But paying for something that in other countries is free is senseless. So I'm looking for bank which is customer friendly, not customer's money friendly :)

im currently moving to Poland, but had planned leaving account open here. Won't be doing that now. It makes me mad, we are paying for this mess and the banks are laughing at us and nothings being done

There are many banks in Poland. My best two are Alior Bank and Alior Sync. The first one is traditional bank - free everything except the card (MasterCard with PayPass) which is ~1.5€ per month, and I think they do ordinary MasterCard as well (which is cheaper). Alior Sync is "daughter" bank and they are doing virtual banking. No branches - you have 24/7 online service (checked them on Christmass and they worked) - you can write, voicecall(like Skype) and videocall them. MC with PayPass is free. Both of them have FREE incoming European money transfers. Some banks take 5% of the amount you are receiving (From IE e.g at least 5€ up to say 25€ tops). And Alior also have currency exchange (separate service) best prices when selling € - say now 1€ = 4.32PLN their CE is paying even 0.10-0.15 more :P So I'm happy with them. Actually a Ph.D who is from Limerick is also using them :P so that's from me about polish banks :P

Still looking for good Irish one though :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Baked.noodle

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/consumer/aib-increases-bank-charges-again-1.1442114

I'm sorry but this is a ****ing joke. I'm so mad at AIB.
    AIB customers will be charged 35 cent every time they use an ATM machine, an increase of 75 per cent on the current charge of 20 cent.

madmax92 wrote: »
    There are many banks in Poland. My best two are Alior Bank and Alior Sync. The first one is traditional bank - free everything except the card (MasterCard with PayPass) which is ~1.5€ per month, and I think they do ordinary MasterCard as well (which is cheaper). Alior Sync is "daughter" bank and they are doing virtual banking. No branches - you have 24/7 online service (checked them on Christmass and they worked) - you can write, voicecall(like Skype) and videocall them. MC with PayPass is free. Both of them have FREE incoming European money transfers. Some banks take 5% of the amount you are receiving (From IE e.g at least 5€ up to say 25€ tops). And Alior also have currency exchange (separate service) best prices when selling € - say now 1€ = 4.32PLN their CE is paying even 0.10-0.15 more :P So I'm happy with them. Actually a Ph.D who is from Limerick is also using them :P so that's from me about polish banks :P

Still looking for good Irish one though :)

Just checked out Alior, does look good, need to have a better look at the debit card charges and they only seem to have mastercard debit cards and not visa?

Just checked out Alior, does look good, need to have a better look at the debit card charges and they only seem to have mastercard debit cards and not visa?

Yup, MasterCard. Visa = MasterCard. For me it's the same ;)
    Remember one thing: In Poland they don't do cheques :pac: Only bank does it is ING Bank. It takes about 6-8 weeks to have cheque cleared :D Received my grant by cheque so now I'm sending it back to parents to have it cashed for me :rolleyes: The reason is that we like "scams" so cheque is not worth doing in Poland :D Yup I'm Polish :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

Advertisement