Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

basic wireless router help please

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

jogdish wrote: »
    Hello,
    I have an eircom netopia wifi router ( 3347 really old ), I would like to replace it with http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TD-W8970-300Mbps-Wireless-connections/dp/B00ATB28RI/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1372263430&sr=8-6&keywords=wireless+modem+router

will that work? i have attached the pick of the back of my router ( says DSL, link above is ADSL - will that make a difference )

Nope. It's grand. But are you in a eFibre enabled exchange area?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭jogdish

amm not sure, i rang up about the fibre free upgrades - if thats what you are talking about ) she said i am eligible for the upgrade, but a technician would need to come out and do some stuff, and i heard about some bad experiences - tbh just didn't feel like the hassle.

If i did opt for the fibre thing, what would be involved?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

jogdish wrote: »
    amm not sure, i rang up about the fibre free upgrades - if thats what you are talking about ) she said i am eligible for the upgrade, but a technician would need to come out and do some stuff, and i heard about some bad experiences - tbh just didn't feel like the hassle.

If i did opt for the fibre thing, what would be involved?

They change the NTU , change one wire over from the old copper cabinet (beside your estate/road) and set it up with the fibre cabinet. They come back to the house to test the new modem and inform you that the speeds will change(there is a device in the cabinet that auto changes to speeds that it believes are perfect). My friend had it done in over 10mins. But some people have had 2-3hrs due to poor wiring under the streets/roads or other reasons.

Advertisement