Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

polytunnels

• 26-06-2013 6:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭

hi all
    im looking for some decent advice on polytunnels.
    my mother wants one. was looking for something 6-8ft wide by 14-16ft long have been looking on done deal and there is lots to choose from. we want something that will last seems to be alot of flemsey looking ones out there.
    so if anyone knows of a supplier in mayo or connaught please let me know or a good supplier online
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 76 ✭✭tara m

Polydome in Birr -ask for Zara

Theirs are great quality and are all aluminium construction so no rotting bases after 18 months - not the cheapest, but the best quality I found, plus they do the 900 guage covering which no-one else does. Myself and other half managed to erect two 18ft ones on our own, the biggest job was digging the holes for the anchor plates, we did get a bit of help with that part!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 thegreatwhite

Hi all,
    I am in the process of putting a plan together to construct my own polytunnel but I don't know where to get the plastic at a good price for my poly tunnel! I'm also not sure how to attach the plastic to the poly tunnel If anyone would have any suggestions I would be very grateful! :D

Hi - you can order just polythene from Polydome, they sell all spares bits and parts seperately - with ours, the cover is not attached to the tunnel rings, it goes over and then is clipped into the base rails with a zigzag wire, which you then bang down the poles to create the drum tight tension and bolt into place, with the excess then dug into a trench around the sides. If building your own, most important thing is to anchor the poles/hoops really well into the ground - once those winds get up they get a good hold of the tunnel - we anchored ours almost 4ft deep, and on really windy days it can still 'lift' by a couple of inches! Also, putting it up with someone you know is a bit like driving lessons from your parents/other half lol - have a valium first! good luck :-)

oh - and its a good idea to use hot spot tape on the tops of the metal hoops, as the structure will move about a bit under the cover, scuffing the polythene - the tape stops the polythene being damaged by 'local abrasion' which can weaken it and cause it to tear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Here's mine, a lot of the photos have dropped out unfortunately but should still give the right idea ...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=74134761

I got my cover in NAD in Lusk, Dublin. Some people get them online from the UK and it can be cheaper. This crowd is very popular wiht UK gardeners ...
    http://www.firsttunnels.co.uk/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 thegreatwhite

Thanks a million tara m and redser it was very helpful. What kind of fruit or veg do ye grow?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 133 ✭✭zombiepaw

jimini0 wrote: »
    hi all
    im looking for some decent advice on polytunnels.
    my mother wants one. was looking for something 6-8ft wide by 14-16ft long have been looking on done deal and there is lots to choose from. we want something that will last seems to be alot of flemsey looking ones out there.
    so if anyone knows of a supplier in mayo or connaught please let me know or a good supplier online
    thanks

These guys are based in sligo, they sell tunnels online and offer installation also. https://www.quickcrop.ie/shop/cat/polytunnels

Advertisement