Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parking near Stillorgan/Leopardstown

Options
  • 26-06-2013 7:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Basically I live in an apartment but have no parking spot and there are none for rent at present. Are residential permits required in all estates? I have searched high and low but all I've deciphered is that this area falls underneath the Dun Laoghaire-Rathdown County Council but am not sure if parking permits are required everywhere?

There is a small road with several houses on it about 5 minutes from my apartment which doesn't have any parking signs up and there is ample parking there without the need to park outside someones house (legal but don't want to annoy anyone). I've had a look and some cars have parking permits whilst others do not so am not sure if they are required for that area. If anyone could shed some light on this I'd appreciate because I've searched the council websites but am no closer to the answer!

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,445 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

B@rney90 wrote: »
    There is a small road with several houses on it about 5 minutes from my apartment which doesn't have any parking signs up and there is ample parking there without the need to park outside someones house (legal but don't want to annoy anyone). I've had a look and some cars have parking permits whilst others do not so am not sure if they are required for that area.

That sounds like a private estate, I suspect you'll get clamped if you park there with no resident permit. You don't need parking permits of any kind on public roads in the DLR area unless there are white boxes accompanied by nearby pay and display signs. No yellow lines and no white boxes means free parking all day every day but it has to be a public road i.e. under council maintenance.

A lot of estates contain busybodies who make it their business to police parking on the roads within and leading to the estate and in many cases they will ask the council to paint yellow lines because they object to commuters using the roads for park & ride which happens in a lot of cases when there's a decent bus service (e.g. the 46A) in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 B@rney90

coylemj wrote: »
    That sounds like a private estate, I suspect you'll get clamped if you park there with no resident permit. You don't need parking permits of any kind on public roads in the DLR area unless there are white boxes accompanied by nearby pay and display signs. No yellow lines and no white boxes means free parking all day every day but it has to be a public road i.e. under council maintenance.

A lot of estates contain busybodies who make it their business to police parking on the roads within and leading to the estate and in many cases they will ask the council to paint yellow lines because they object to commuters using the roads for park & ride which happens in a lot of cases when there's a decent bus service (e.g. the 46A) in the area.

Ah brilliant thanks very much that clears the situation up a lot. Any ways to easily identify if the road is public or private by any chance? Obviously anywhere with an entrance or gate I will assume is private but other than that I might find it difficult to decipher between the two! Thanks a million

• Registered Users Posts: 24,080 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Whats the name of the road in question? PM me if you like, but generally around Stillorgan/Leopardstown any roads without gates or 'Private Road' signs are public roads, its only when you get into Foxrock it becomes more ambiguous

• Registered Users Posts: 25,445 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

B@rney90 wrote: »
    Ah brilliant thanks very much that clears the situation up a lot. Any ways to easily identify if the road is public or private by any chance? Obviously anywhere with an entrance or gate I will assume is private but other than that I might find it difficult to decipher between the two! Thanks a million

If there are cars parked outside private houses with parking permits on display then it's virtually certain that it's a private road, you would also expect to see warning signs to that effect with threats of clamping for non-compliance.

An older way of telling what was public and what was private was to see if the residents left their bins outside their houses or at the entrance to the estate because local authority trucks would not enter a private estate but that's no longer the case since it's all privatised.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 B@rney90

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Whats the name of the road in question? PM me if you like, but generally around Stillorgan/Leopardstown any roads without gates or 'Private Road' signs are public roads, its only when you get into Foxrock it becomes more ambiguous
    coylemj wrote: »
    If there are cars parked outside private houses with parking permits on display then it's virtually certain that it's a private road, you would also expect to see warning signs to that effect with threats of clamping for non-compliance.

An older way of telling what was public and what was private was to see if the residents left their bins outside their houses or at the entrance to the estate because local authority trucks would not enter a private estate but that's no longer the case since it's all privatised.

Great information, cheers

• Advertisement
Advertisement