Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HELP ME! Flower Identification Thread

Options
  • 26-06-2013 7:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭

Hi there, i was wondering can anybody help me identify this thing

FLOWER OR WEED?

Is it a plant or a weed? no one in my family is sure what it is, help would be appricated :D
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,428 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Probably not a lot of help, but I'm pretty sure I saw that in the Botanical Gardens in Dublin yesterday, in the Irish wildflower section. I was interested as I had not seen it before, sadly I cannot remember the name...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Ace Attorney

looksee wrote: »
    Probably not a lot of help, but I'm pretty sure I saw that in the Botanical Gardens in Dublin yesterday, in the Irish wildflower section. I was interested as I had not seen it before, sadly I cannot remember the name...

If its in the botanical gardens it probably not a weed so, thats awesome just need to find out the name then :-) thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭rje66

Hi there, i was wondering can anybody help me identify this thing

FLOWER OR WEED?

Is it a plant or a weed? no one in my family is sure what it is, help would be appricated :D

I think phygelius. Have a Google and get back to me:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭lottpaul

Could be a type of mint? -- have you tried picking a leaf, crushing and smelling it?

rje66 wrote: »

Its not unlike it surley especially in this pic i think you are right thank you !!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,428 ✭✭✭✭looksee

The patch of irish wildflowers in the botanical gardens are in fact weeds! :-) and I am pretty sure its the same thing I saw there.

looksee wrote: »
    The patch of irish wildflowers in the botanical gardens are in fact weeds! :-) and I am pretty sure its the same thing I saw there.

Lol so they're weeds then, sound enough, now to convince the family :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Well if its in the right place then it's not a weed :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭KnapperHandy

I think rje66 is right - my initial impression just looking at the foliage,is that it was a variety of fuchsia;Phygelius is commonly known as the 'Cape fuchsia'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

I know it under the name Devil's Tears. It's a bit of a bully and spreads with runners under the ground. It grows to about 4 foot tall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭lottpaul

I know it under the name Devil's Tears. It's a bit of a bully and spreads with runners under the ground. It grows to about 4 foot tall.

Looked at the pics again and would agree - the "buds/flowers" at the tips of the branches are very familiar and I don't think you'd see them in phygelius or mint.

Don't know the "proper" name for it but it does spread like mad, and gets very tall. Usually grows here in damper spots than the picture shows though.

FYI
    Devil's tears =phygelius x rectus=cape fuschia

lottpaul wrote: »
    Looked at the pics again and would agree - the "buds/flowers" at the tips of the branches are very familiar and I don't think you'd see them in phygelius or mint.

Don't know the "proper" name for it but it does spread like mad, and gets very tall. Usually grows here in damper spots than the picture shows though.

Phygelius/Cape fuchsia/Devil's tears are one and the same I believe,but I stand corrected!

FYI
    Devil's tears =phygelius x rectus=cape fuschia

You got there before me rje66 - sorry!:o

Thanks everyone that replied, now to uproot the little terror :)

I wouldn't uproot it!They can be quite nice looking and you can always keep it in check with pruning,however,it's up to you at the end of the day.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Hopefully it's ok to continue this thread rather than restart a whole new one. I found this growing in an old pot and wondered if anyone could ID it from the leaf?

20130624_174248_zps1cda0a5d.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Velvet shank

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Hopefully it's ok to continue this thread rather than restart a whole new one. I found this growing in an old pot and wondered if anyone could ID it from the leaf?

20130624_174248_zps1cda0a5d.jpg

looks Like Birch

looks like a variety of vine (vitis)????:confused::confused:Vitis-Coignetiae.jpg

Vitis_sp_leaf.jpg

Advertisement