Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need help!

• 26-06-2013 7:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭

Hey Boardsies!

Need your help to help me give up smoking finally! I've been smoking about 10-15 a day for years and in the last month or so have cut down to about 2 in the evenings.

I've no desire to smoke in the mornings or during the day but can't stop myself from wanting one in the evenings :(

What worked for those who've managed to quit successfully? I need motivation!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭Missy Moo Moo

It's been almost 48 hours since my last smoke! Would love one but am gonna try to stay strong on this one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Los Lobos

Hey, just gone 3 hours without a fag, probably the longest i've gone in about 15 years.

I find i miss the habit of goin for a cig more than havin the cig so far, if ya know what i mean.

Have a pen to chew on too, seems to help!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭phelixoflaherty

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭seanoge

Managed to stop when we were in Germany. Patches had just come out and they worked for us. Wife smoked normal fags and I smoked only rollups.
    Off them for 8 years and then came home. Smoking again within a week. EVERYONE smoked in the pubs. Then came the smoking ban and standing out in the rain thought what am I doing here Went back on the patches(costly) and they did the trick again. Tried tablets & gum but when the time comes to take a tablet or gum the fag wins. With a patch you put it on and forget about it. Cutting down did not work for us. And with the patches if you don't succeed try, try again. You will win in the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭Missy Moo Moo

Los Lobos, how did you get on?

I'm 2 hours away from being 5 days smoke free, really want one but I'm sure I'll be so annoyed if I do!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

You will have more success in giving up smoking if you really want to give up smoking. Nicorette, champix, e-cigs etc are all variants that really mean you aren't ready to give up because you still need a replacement.

Cold Turkey is the best way to give up. A few days later the cravings are gone as nicotine has left your system.

The hard bit is the habit itself - holding a smoke, tapping it into an ashtray, having one when stress hits, or indeed having one when something good happens and you want to reward yourself.

See below posts from me in 2009/2010.

I am 4 years off them this month. Not even one drag. But to this day I sometimes hold lit cigarettes in my hand to prove to myself that I'm cured :eek:

from 2009
    Just to say - I'm not an anti smoker by any means (off them since August 22nd 2009 - 4 months :D) but this article helped me as did the link underneath it.

The Golden Rule is "Never take another Puff" (courtesy Joel Spitzer quit smoking guide)

To many, cold turkey conjures up visions of torturous pain, suffering and general drudgery. In fact, it is easier to stop smoking using the cold turkey method than by using any other technique. Cold turkey induces less suffering and creates a shorter period of withdrawal. Most important, cold turkey is the approach by which the smoker has the best chance of success.

Smokers must recognize that they are drug addicts. Nicotine is a powerfully addictive drug. Once the smoker has smoked for a fairly long time, the body requires maintenance of a certain level of nicotine in the bloodstream. If this level is not maintained, the smoker will experience varying degrees of drug withdrawal. The lower the level, the greater the intensity. As long as any nicotine remains in the bloodstream the body will keep craving its full complement. Once the smoker quits, the nicotine level will eventually drop to zero and all physical withdrawal will cease. Cravings for an occasional cigarette may continue, but this is due to past psychological conditioning and not to a physical dependence.

Cutting down on cigarettes or use of nicotine replacement strategies throws the smoker into a chronic state of drug withdrawal. As soon as the smoker fails to reach the minimum requirement of nicotine, the body starts demanding it. As long as there is any nicotine in the bloodstream, the body will demand its old requirement. Smoking just one or two a day or wearing a patch which is gradually reducing the amount of nicotine being delivered will result in the smoker not achieving the minimum required level, creating a chronic state of peak drug withdrawal.

This state will continue throughout the rest of the smoker's life unless one of two steps is taken to rectify it. First, the smoker can stop delivering nicotine altogether. Nicotine will be metabolized or totally excreted from the body and the withdrawal will stop forever. Or, the smoker can return to the old level of consumptions accomplishing nothing.

Therefore, cold turkey is the method of choice. Once the smoker stops, withdrawal will end within two weeks. If you smoke, we can help you over this crucial period of time. Once it is past, you can rest assured that you will never need to smoke again. Then, to stay off you will simply need to remember to Never Take Another Puff!

Read this FREE E-Book - it worked for me:

http://whyquit.com/NTAP_large_print_212_pages.pdf

The best way I can explain the feeling is being "Free" - I even get a buzz out of the fact that when I'm travelling by plane I'm not thinking "when/where can I get a smoke?!"

Best of Luck to everyone trying - the first 3 days are the worst, then it gets easier!

from 2010
    I'm 10 months off them now, not even one drag. All down to the free book linked to above.

Still love the smell of a smoke and haven't turned into an anti smoker :)

(I will admit to feeling a sense of superiority when a mate has to go outside to have a smoke ;) )

Good luck to all.

Advertisement