Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google+ and Youtube

Options
  • 26-06-2013 7:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hello all,
    I was just wondering does anyone else find it pretty annoying that Google+ has inextricably linked itself to so many other things online? I have had a Youtube account since 2009 and recently while trying to sign into my Gmail, it prompted me to make a new Gmail account and wouldn't let me do anything else until I had done that.

I made the email address, and forgot about it. I then set up another Gmail for job applications and that was grand. So, I then had three Gmail accounts, one of which was a college one. This means then, that I also had three Youtube accounts, and three Google+ accounts.

I was looking at it a bit more today and I figured out that my original Youtube account had been linked to a Google+ account and that Gmail that I had no choice but to create was now the primary email address for my Youtube account. I signed into that email address today by mistake (because I was signed into Youtube, it signed me into that Gmail) and found that all my Youtube emails were now going there instead of to my original email address that I linked with my Youtube. I didn't even realise this had happened.

So, basically, I had to unlink my original Youtube from my Google+ account and that Gmail, in order to delete that Gmail account and that Google+ account. If you don't unlink it first, it will delete your Youtube also. I then went to my other two Google+ accounts, and deleted them, and tried to delete the superfluous Youtube accounts. However, it looks like there is no way to delete those Youtube accounts. The Google+ part of them is gone and now the Youtube remains.

I really don't understand why it was necessary for Google to so slyly worm its way into nearly everything you do online. I had no idea that my Youtube account was being modified and linked in that way and I had no idea why I was being forced to create that new email address or what it was for.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,222 ✭✭✭✭biko

Yeah, I actually dislike google+ very much and have tried to create walls between various accounts on various sites, just to keep google from owning me 100%

• Registered Users Posts: 6 LouLou BonCheese

Yeah it seems to be difficult to get around it! They have inserted some link to themselves to so many things online these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Kelleherqueen

Google are a bunch of **** and the reason they keep changing everything is to keep employees busy. The trouble with most businesses these days unfortunately is that they can never accept something for what it is, no matter how great it was to begin with. Companies are obsessed with changing things around for no apparent reason - well, probably to make something better but what the **** is the point in that when it didn't need improving in the first place? I can guarantee YouTube will become equivalent to Bebo 6-12 months down the line, and some Asian nerdy kid will have built an entirely new kickass video sharing site which will go viral in a matter of days. As soon as YouTube introduces the fee for videos, which they're thinking of doing, you can kiss YouTube goodbye. Only it being taken over by a new company could save it at this stage. Also Google+ is a completely and utterly pointless platform and was only created to give Google even more power on the web and to splash their logo on yet another site. When you make an account with Google+ (or at least when you are forced to do so) you can tell how obviously pointless it is with the crappy headings you're encouraged to fill in. It's clearly just made to advertise Google even further (not that they need it) Google are massive and their search engine is a total success but they should never have gotten involved with other sites and platforms cause they ****ed up big time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 LouLou BonCheese

Well said!

Advertisement