Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there a future for Fusion Energy?

Options
  • 26-06-2013 8:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭

I myself have a passion and strong interest in Particle and Nuclear Physics and one particular topic crosses my mind often; Fusion Energy.

For those who aren't familiar with Fusion Energy, it's basically the fusion of elements together to create energy. The most common form of Fusion Energy is found in the sun; hydrogens, deutiriums and tritriums which create vast amounts of energy when they are fused together.

Sounds fantastic right? Of course nothing is as good as it sounds. For these reactions to occur you need around about the 10 million degree celcius mark. And that is why is occurs naturally in the sun.

I believe in France at the moment they are designing a machine that can supply these out-of-this-world conditions in order to create this energy. At the moment they are getting less energy out than they put in. Question is; will they ever be able to create energy from this method? If so, we have the perfect answer to the depleting fossil-fuel supplies. Also, this means of generating energy gives off no harsh chemicals or waste. It's pure perfection.

So, do you believe it is possible in the future? I'm interesting to see what you have to say on the hot, debatable topic.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭IRWolfie-

plmko wrote: »
    I myself have a passion and strong interest in Particle and Nuclear Physics and one particular topic crosses my mind often; Fusion Energy.

For those who aren't familiar with Fusion Energy, it's basically the fusion of elements together to create energy. The most common form of Fusion Energy is found in the sun; hydrogens, deutiriums and tritriums which create vast amounts of energy when they are fused together.

Sounds fantastic right? Of course nothing is as good as it sounds. For these reactions to occur you need around about the 10 million degree celcius mark. And that is why is occurs naturally in the sun.

I believe in France at the moment they are designing a machine that can supply these out-of-this-world conditions in order to create this energy. At the moment they are getting less energy out than they put in. Question is; will they ever be able to create energy from this method? If so, we have the perfect answer to the depleting fossil-fuel supplies. Also, this means of generating energy gives off no harsh chemicals or waste. It's pure perfection.

So, do you believe it is possible in the future? I'm interesting to see what you have to say on the hot, debatable topic.

ITER is currently in construction and it is designed so that it will provide more energy than it requires. The main hurdles to future fusion energy are engineering ones, such as maintaining the wall integrity over the lifetime of a commercial reactor.

Advertisement