Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immersion & Heating system on same circuit

Options
  • 26-06-2013 9:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭

Hi,

Is it within regulations to have the immersion and central heating system ( oil boiler, circulation pumps etc.) supplied from the same 2.5mm T&E circuit?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭mikehammer67

there's a section in the back of the rules annex 55a(normative)

says immersion should have 'individual circuit' and small items eg:pumps in the hotpress can be fed from cct

why do you ask?

it certainly isn't standard practice to do this

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭LostInLM

there's a section in the back of the rules annex 55a(normative)

says immersion should have 'individual circuit' and small items eg:pumps in the hotpress can be fed from cct

why do you ask?,

it certainly isn't standard practice to do this

Was in parents house at weekend and noticed that oil boiler circuit (Inc pumps) were tapped off back of immersion switch. Immersion and boiler are never used at the same time.

What's normal arrangement for these circuits?

boiler can be wired on an independent circuit or as a spur from a socket circuit

the immersion is wired on an independent circuit

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

LostInLM wrote: »
    Hi,

Is it within regulations to have the immersion and central heating system ( oil boiler, circulation pumps etc.) supplied from the same 2.5mm T&E circuit?

555.3.3 (page 138 of ET:101) States:
    It is permissible to supply auxiliary equipment associated with water services and water systems from the circuit supplying a water-heating device.

My interpretation of that is that the above is not in breach of the regulations.

I would expect a standard 3kW immersion to draw about 13A and everything else combined to draw no more than 2A.

A 20A B type MCB can provide suitable protection to a 2.5 T&E
    Personally I don't see a problem.

However if I was wiring from scratch I would have them on separate circuits.

"auxiliary equipment associated with water services and water systems"

not sure that refers to items like oil boilers

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

not sure that refers to items like oil boilers

Why not? Boilers have quite a bit to do with water, they heat it!

Besides hey are a tiny load.

2011 wrote: »
    Why not? Boilers have quite a bit to do with water, they heat it!

Besides hey are a tiny load.

a circuit supplying auxiliary equipment associated with water service and water systems (eg:pumps)...........

annex 55a

(practical application of the rules)

the following items should be fed by individual circuits.
    permanently connected heating appliances >10A,eg.storage heaters...........

small ancillary items eg:fan,water pump may be fed from such a circuit.......

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

Isn;t thee something about circuits supplying devices which touch water have to be ELCB protected, so use an RCBO now?

As 2011 says I'd put them on separate circuits, just be aware of RCBOs if changing anything

a circuit supplying auxiliary equipment associated with water service and water systems (eg:pumps)...........

annex 55a

(practical application of the rules)

the following items should be fed by individual circuits.
    permanently connected heating appliances >10A,eg.storage heaters...........

small ancillary items eg:fan,water pump may be fed from such a circuit.......

Sorry I don't follow. Which part do you feel does not align?

I see the boiler as a very small load that is part of the water/heating system.

I agree that it is best to the boiler on a sperate circuit, but would not feel that it was breaking any regulations if it was not.

2011 wrote: »
    Sorry I don't follow. Which part do you feel does not align?

I see the boiler as a very small load that is part of the water/heating system.

I agree that it is best to the boiler on a sperate circuit, but would not feel that it was breaking any regulations if it was not.

seems pretty clear to me 2011

electrical equipment in domestic airing cupboards....shall be confined to the following

-an immersion heater........
    -auxiliary equipment associated with water-heating systems

it's quite obvious from the 2 rules and annex 55A which is the practical application of the rules

that they are saying a pump or similar in the hotpress may be connected to immersion cct

not a oil boiler,pumps etc as in the ops case

• Advertisement
Advertisement