Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hansfield Station opens on Friday 28th June

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭fisherking

Thanks for that..
    Pity the whole plan did not come to fruition

It just seems odd to have another station within a couple of metres of clonsilla station
    daymobrew wrote: »
    The Hansfield area is a SDZ (Strategic Development Zone) where there was actually some thought put into how the area was to be developed.

While it does have space allocated for schools and the train station was built early (rather than decades after people move in), the recession meant that the area was not fully developed. If it was, there would be many more houses and apartments close to the station.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

fisherking wrote: »
    Thanks for that..
    Pity the whole plan did not come to fruition

It just seems odd to have another station within a couple of metres of clonsilla station

Yes, I really noticed that yesterday when I got off at Hansfield. The Clonsilla platform looked to be only 200 meters or so away. It's ironic that the nearest building of any sort to Hansfield train station.....is another train station...:confused: !!

Maybe, when the secondary school is up and running, it will be handy for students living outside the area. I can see the area ultimately being developed for housing in the next 10 years but until then, the station will be under-utilised. First and foremost they need to have a pedestrian path from Barnwell Hansfield as the current blocked access from there is ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭TskTsk

Has anyone here had a bad experience of parking at Hansfield Station? I drove up there this morning and it was completely deserted, but I was wondering if it's safe to leave my car there during the day while commuting to town. Are there even any security staff there? Cheers.

Saturday's and Sundays would be especially deserted alright but there is typically 30 or so cars parked on a weekday but there are long periods of hours where the station is deserted so is a potential hazard. The problem is you don't have any passing traffic or footfall throughout the day like at Clonsilla that could act as a deterrent. However, I'm not aware of any crime or theft so far.

On a separate note, I've noticed more commuters starting to use Hansfield in recent weeks ( I counted over 30 getting off the 5.25pm train from Docklands the other evening) compared to only a handful a few weeks earlier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭robertxxx

ongarboy wrote: »
    Saturday's and Sundays would be especially deserted alright but there is typically 30 or so cars parked on a weekday but there are long periods of hours where the station is deserted so is a potential hazard. The problem is you don't have any passing traffic or footfall throughout the day like at Clonsilla that could act as a deterrent. However, I'm not aware of any crime or theft so far.

On a separate note, I've noticed more commuters starting to use Hansfield in recent weeks ( I counted over 30 getting off the 5.25pm train from Docklands the other evening) compared to only a handful a few weeks earlier.

Maybe because of the free parking!

• Advertisement

robertxxx wrote: »
    Maybe because of the free parking!

Definitely an incentive. When you think about it, a tenner on parking alone a week in Clonsilla x by 48 typical working weeks a year is €480 per annum. That's almost as expensive as an annual taxsaver shorthop rail pass if you're on the 41% tax bracket. Crazy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭robertxxx

Spot on, that's why I walk to station or cycle into work these days.

Clonsilla did/does have its fair share of car robbery 's.

I remember one Friday afternoon when there was free parking, I seen some scummer looking into a car at the top of the road and I decided to wait in mine to see what happened. He checked every car door, banger or not to see if it was open, he skipped mine at the last second when he seen me it, he then packed it it as it was around 4:15pm. I called the cops and a f'ing helicopter and cars came, and I pointed the scummer out to them.

Excuse the grammar, I'm in bed after a few.

Advertisement