Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When does it become neglect?

Options
  • 26-06-2013 9:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭

Long story -> short:
    There's a child on our estate who has just gone 4 years of age. The child and their siblings are out running around very late (the other night it was 11:30 p.m.). They're not supervised, except by one of the older siblings who is about 12 years old.

They're bored and getting up to mischief which is understandable I suppose, but annoying nonetheless. My question is, at what time of night does this count as neglect on the part of the parents? Should I be contacting Welfare or minding my own business?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭daddyorchips

ITDept wrote: »
    Long story -> short:
    There's a child on our estate who has just gone 4 years of age. The child and their siblings are out running around very late (the other night it was 11:30 p.m.). They're not supervised, except by one of the older siblings who is about 12 years old.

They're bored and getting up to mischief which is understandable I suppose, but annoying nonetheless. My question is, at what time of night does this count as neglect on the part of the parents? Should I be contacting Welfare or minding my own business?

it becomes neglect when they are walking around in filthy cloths knocking on doors and asking for food and money

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

It depends.
    Where are the parents?
    Is the 12 year old been left to mind the little kids all day?
    Do they look well cared for?

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭ITDept

it becomes neglect when they are walking around in filthy cloths knocking on doors and asking for food and money

They're not begging and they're not filthy. They do the normal stuff - ring the doorbell and run away (all bleedin night), petty vandalism.

I think the father is out of work and I haven't seen the mother. I know it can be very tough trying to raise kids in these times but the father just seems to feck them out and not give a toss what they're doing.

The youngest ones have little or no road sense and I'm seriously worried that on a darker evening a car will come round the corner and the driver won't see them / expect them to be sitting in the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,540 ✭✭✭✭ted1

If they have no black out blinds they may be having a tough time getting the kids to sleep.

Maybe the kids sleep on later, I wouldn't be to concerned unless it continues when the evenings get darker.

Fair enough, I'll mind my own business so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭muckisluck

Fair enough, I'll mind my own business so.

Why don't you contact the duty social worker in your area and ask advice without giving names. They will tell you whether your concerns are valid or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Agent_99

A 12 year old should not be left to mind young kids for any length of time as they will get distracted and bored hence the problems that you are experiencing. I would quietly call the HSE but the likelihood if them doing anything is slim as they will call to the family during the day if they turn up at all and not witness the true problem. But alas nothing will be done until there is a tragedy but for your own heart I would make to call.

muckisluck wrote: »
    Why don't you contact the duty social worker in your area and ask advice without giving names. They will tell you whether your concerns are valid or not.

Actually, that's what I'll do. I don't want to be the one who could have stopped something nasty but didn't - and they'll tell me to mind my own business if I'm being an idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

ted1 wrote: »
    If they have no black out blinds they may be having a tough time getting the kids to sleep.

Maybe the kids sleep on later, I wouldn't be to concerned unless it continues when the evenings get darker.

Naive

• Registered Users Posts: 23,540 ✭✭✭✭ted1

KC1234 wrote: »
    Naive

Care to expand....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Long story -> short:

Call a social worker from your local social services. Neglect can be difficult to define, but whether or not these kids 'look' clean or dirty is the obvious neglect sign.. but this bunch are outside without supervison late at night therefore their welfare and safety is being neglected; no harm ringing the social worker for advice. Do ring, OP.

Advertisement