Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Education (PGCE) - Primary - Need help

• 26-06-2013 11:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭

I am looking to do a PGCE next year as I want to become a primary school teacher here in Ireland. I have no LC Irish so I have to go to the UK. I have ordinary level maths, a c1, and higher level English, a d1, and ordinary level Agricultural Science C1. Will these be enough for the entry requirements or do I need better leaving cert results?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭user12

Any help at all would be appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 34 R.M.

I'm not sure about the leaving cert requirements but I think the GTTR website should have all the info you need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭djor88

OP, do you have a degree already from a third level college/university etc? To do the PGCE that's required. The usual route is the 1 year PGCE, work for a year on probation and come back to Ireland, do an intensive Irish language course and then you should be sorted.

I'm thinking of going down the PGCE route myself too, I've got a degree in history and geography but like you my Irish isn't so strong, ordinary level B1 but can't hold a conversation at all! I think I'd be happy enough staying in the UK teaching for a few years anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,387 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

user12 wrote: »
    I am looking to do a PGCE next year as I want to become a primary school teacher here in Ireland. I have no LC Irish so I have to go to the UK. I have ordinary level maths, a c1, and higher level English, a d1, and ordinary level Agricultural Science C1. Will these be enough for the entry requirements or do I need better leaving cert results?

OP, serious question: if you have no LC Irish, how are you going to get yourself up to the standard of a higher level C3 Leaving Cert in Irish as that is the minimum standard for teaching in Ireland?

Did you only do three subjects for Leaving Cert or did you do the full seven. I'm all for encouraging people to do teaching here but if you only did 3 subjects for Leaving Cert and two of them at ordinary level how are you going to get through a teaching degree?

Obviously I have 7 leaving cert subjects. 4 honours and 3 ordinary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,387 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

user12 wrote: »
    Obviously I have 7 leaving cert subjects. 4 honours and 3 ordinary.

It wasn't obvious from your OP. Question remains, what are you going to do about Irish and do you have a degree to get on the PGCE?

It wasn't obvious from your OP. Question remains, what are you going to do about Irish and do you have a degree to get on the PGCE?

I have a level 8 degree. I heard the standard for the Irish test and the PGCE is slightly easier than the leaving cert.

Advertisement