Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycle Training - Tuesdays - Phoenix Park

Options
  • 26-06-2013 11:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭

Trying to get a regular session going in the park every Tuesday night and opening it up to as many people as possible...

I'm a believer that "In order to ride fast you must train fast" and whilst on a leisurely Sunday afternoon ride I've no problem waiting for people I want one session a week where I'm struggling to hold on and hurting. Too many slow and steady sessions have left me "slow and steady".

We had a test this week with a few of us (7) from the club (ActivMultisport) and it went ok. We did 5 laps and people were dropped every lap. I was hoping people would join back up but I am not sure where they went, ended up two of us left at the end and I was barely keeping up and the other lad was barely breaking a sweat. Avg speed was 31 kmh.

The one rule we had is "if you get dropped either wait for us to come round again and jump back on / continue at your own pace / go home and come back next week determined to last longer!" This is the reason we're lapping and not doing an out and back.

So I would like to get a few more people involved so that (a) there's a better chance there will always be a few out on a Tuesday night, (b) the group is big enough that it naturally ends up splitting into 2-3 different ability groups.

We meet at Papal cross 6:40 for 6:45 start. If you are driving park on the main road - there's been some break-ins in the papal cross car park recently. We'll leave promptly and then head to Chesterfield Avenue, turning right and starting the lap. Aim is to do 5 laps of approx. 9km, each taking roughly 18 mins. If you can't make 6:40 you should be able to work out roughly what time we'll be passing each point - (this is why we need to leave promptly otherwise anyone joining late could be sat around ages waiting for us!) First lap will be steady so everyone knows the way. Second lap the hammer goes down.

This is the lap: http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/230875409

Anyone interested?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

I normally run tuesdays but this tuesday coming I might make it.
    TT bike ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Trying to get a regular session going in the park every Tuesday night and opening it up to as many people as possible...

I'm a believer that "In order to ride fast you must train fast" and whilst on a leisurely Sunday afternoon ride I've no problem waiting for people I want one session a week where I'm struggling to hold on and hurting. Too many slow and steady sessions have left me "slow and steady".

We had a test this week with a few of us (7) from the club (ActivMultisport) and it went ok. We did 5 laps and people were dropped every lap. I was hoping people would join back up but I am not sure where they went, ended up two of us left at the end and I was barely keeping up and the other lad was barely breaking a sweat. Avg speed was 31 kmh.

The one rule we had is "if you get dropped either wait for us to come round again and jump back on / continue at your own pace / go home and come back next week determined to last longer!" This is the reason we're lapping and not doing an out and back.

So I would like to get a few more people involved so that (a) there's a better chance there will always be a few out on a Tuesday night, (b) the group is big enough that it naturally ends up splitting into 2-3 different ability groups.

We meet at Papal cross 6:40 for 6:45 start. If you are driving park on the main road - there's been some break-ins in the papal cross car park recently. We'll leave promptly and then head to Chesterfield Avenue, turning right and starting the lap. Aim is to do 5 laps of approx. 9km, each taking roughly 18 mins. If you can't make 6:40 you should be able to work out roughly what time we'll be passing each point - (this is why we need to leave promptly otherwise anyone joining late could be sat around ages waiting for us!) First lap will be steady so everyone knows the way. Second lap the hammer goes down.

This is the lap: http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/230875409

Anyone interested?

See you next Tuesday! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

Green&Red wrote: »
    I normally run tuesdays but this tuesday coming I might make it.
    TT bike ok?

Sorry, needs to be road bike as we're riding in a group.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 ronanocon

Hi Lads, is this still going on? Might pop down tomorrow if so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

This hasn't happened since the week before the Dublin City Triathlon and can't see it happening tonight. Think it's over for the rest of the winter now, Couerdelion is the man to ask but he's on holidays now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

joey100 wrote: »
    This hasn't happened since the week before the Dublin City Triathlon and can't see it happening tonight. Think it's over for the rest of the winter now, Couerdelion is the man to ask but he's on holidays now.

What did he do to deserve a holiday :confused:;)

Advertisement