Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on which cooler (air or water) to OC a haswell build

Options
  • 26-06-2013 11:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,
    I am putting together a haswell build and have pretty much nailed it down to the list below with help from the 'PC Building & Upgrading forum' There is one thing that is bugging me and thats the 'Dark Rock Pro 2', which gets great reviews but at €72 it seems to me I would be better off going the extra bit and getting a water cooler instead. The following one is just 30 quid more at €104.32. Thermaltake Water 2.0 Pro.
    What are peoples opinions about this? Would it be worth going the extra few euro? What difference in overclocking Mhz could I expect to see by going with water instead of air? Just an quick estimate as I'm aware there are a lot of variables to take into account when overclocking. I asked this in the other forum and was told that water cooling made very little difference to which I was very suprised to hear. Is this in comparison to the 'Dark Rock Pro 2' or in general because at €72 its not cheap for an air cooler. I have spent half that on great coolers such as the Artic Freezer 7 Pro.
    I guess I'm asking should I go for the Thermaltake Water 2.0 Pro. water cooler and if it is not worth the price difference then is the be quiet!Dark Rock Pro 2 worth it at the given price. I also intend to delid this baby the minute I get it and replace the ****e inside with Antec Formula 7.
    One Final thing Since I have an 8800GT (still not that bad of card btw) would buying a second on eBay for 50 bucks to run in SLI be a cheap way to tie me over until I get around to buying a new one? What would 2 8800gt sli be equivilant to (quick guesstimate)? Please don't tell me to just buy a new one now. If I had the cash it would be in my list below.

Shoping List So Far
    Item|Price
    Intel Core i7-4770K Box, LGA1150|€303.24
    be quiet!Dark Rock Pro 2|€72.73
    MSI Z87-G45 Gaming, ATX, Sockel 1150|€134.39
    16GB-Kit G.Skill Sniper PC3-14900U CL9-10-9-28|€120.74
    Samsung 840 Pro 256gb|€191.76
    Shipping|€18.99
    Total|€841.85Thanks,
    john.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Is the rig for gaming? You are leaving yourself with an old slow card (compared to modern cards) to get parts that will have no effect on gaming. The 16gb's of ram and hyper threading will add nothing to gaming. 4770k's are poor value considering the cooling you need for decent overclocks and the more expensive boards. A 3570k is far better value.

If you are doing some heavy video editing or other work that will make use of those threads and 16 gb's of ram then that's fine. Otherwise you would be better off putting that money into a good graphics card.

Enclosed water cooling loops are only marginally better performing than top end air coolers like the dark rock pro 2. It's not going to net much of a difference in temps or overclocks. However a 3570k wouldn't need anything that exotic. A cm 212 evo will net overclocks in the 4.5ghz range for only €29.

Advertisement