Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New extension

Options
  • 27-06-2013 4:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭

Hi Guy's,

I know that this has been discussed extensivley, but I was wondering if i could have your opinions on the following?

I am currently in the process of building an extension to the back of the house, I was considering the following with regards to future proofing house.

Running CAT5e or CAT6 cable that will connect to a CISCO switch.

I am currently using network plugs, but because I am getting the extension built, I was going to lay the cables and just leave them there incase I ever needed/wanted to use them.

Is there a there a product available, where you can have a plug and RJ45 in the same case?

If you were doing this what way would you suggest doing it?

Thanks in advance
    BobbyT28

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭indie armada

some companys do modular systems, where points can be made up specifically.
    for instance,
    mk k184whi front plate
    mk k5830whi 13amp socket module
    mk k5846whi cat5 module
    mk k170whi blank
    this would comprise of a 4 mod plate, with the socket taking up 2 mod, the cat5 or cat 6 would take up one mod and then the blank to finish it off.

these are in their logic plus range and can be viewed here
    http://www.mkelectric.com/en-gb/Products/WD/logicplus/Pages/default.aspx

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

+1 good answer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭BobbyT28

Cheers Guy's.

Using Network plugs at the minute, stil fine them slow.

@india armade, do mkelectric have a retail store or do they deliver to Ireland? I checked out there contact page and can see a Irish number listed.

Not really sure where to put the switch and router. I have a hall cabinet beside DSL line, so could have it there. Only problem is, it probably isn't very well ventilated!

Thanks agin for the replies,

MK dont deal directly with the public. im sure it can be bought online but ive never had to so im unsure where to direct you.
    i can name 4 or 5 wholesalers in dublin that supply it, but be warned, mk is exspensive but the quality is very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭BobbyT28

MK dont deal directly with the public. im sure it can be bought online but ive never had to so im unsure where to direct you.
    i can name 4 or 5 wholesalers in dublin that supply it, but be warned, mk is exspensive but the quality is very good.

Could you PM me the wholesalers you know of? DOn't want to be spending crazy money on sockets. Would you have an alternative product that does, USB, power socket and CAT modules

• Advertisement

i think click might do it also and if so, it would be cheaper.
    check out click litehouse. http://www.litehouse.ie/documents/new_media.pdf

REW finglas
    Edmundsons in glasnevin
    Michael garrys
    CED in ballycoolan
    not sure if cef or eurosales do either but a phonecall would find that out.

Advertisement