Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Neck Tattoo's

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

What I don't understand is the people who have them at the side/back of the neck up to behind their ears. I mean, they can't see it themselves, without at least 2 mirrors, so why get it?

My thinking on tattoos has always been this: I've never owned an item of clothing that I didn't get tired of. I can't think of any item of clothing or watch that I wore 10 years ago that I would like to still wear. Therefore I know that any tattoo I would get I would be completely sick and tired of within a few years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I don't have a problem with tatoos, I wouldn't want 1 myself. Gotta say though that the neck ones just look scummy. Especially when some scumbag has initials tatooed on their neck or someones name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭BizzyC

It has an effect on how people rate her, professionally.

It has an effect on her career prospects.

It has an effect on the respect her peers have for her.

It has an effect on how customers feel towards her if she has face meetings.

It has an effect on how she is interacted with socially.

It has an effect on how she is/was seen romantically.

If you decide to get a visible tattoo, these are the facts that you need to consider.

Do you think any of the points above will matter to you between now and your old age?
    The severity of each point will increase/decrease depending on location/subject of your tattoo.

Like it/Don't like it, makes no difference to the way it is.
    1. Her career is doing exceptionally well
    2. She's very well respected
    3. She gets on very well with clients and deals with them face to face on a regular basis
    4. Can't comment, cause I don't know her socially
    5. Can't comment, but she is married and has a child

Again, you've made a sweeping statement against having visible tattoos that doesn't apply to all cases.
    While it may have some impact, it's just completely wrong to say that having visible tattoos will stop people from getting a good job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

I love tattoos, no problem with any kind once they're not offensive in some way like swears words or something racist, no decent tattoo artist would do stuff like that anyway. I don't have any but if I was to get some I wouldn't have to worry about work stuff, it wouldn't matter a damn in the field that I'm in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Neck tattoo's are not a problem......... shur just grow a neck beard to cover them when required.
    Neck beards look lovely, and I know a least 7 people with them who have good jobs, partners and children.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭zef

Don't care much about neck tattoos but one of the guys impulsively got a skull tattooed on the bwck of his hand.. For me, that was a step too far. He's a lovely guy but I saw photos of him at his sister's wedding and even whike wearing a very nice suit, the skull was just terrible looking in that situation.

It'll look even worse at the next funeral he's at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭General General

mikom wrote: »
    Neck tattoo's are not a problem......... shur just grow a neck beard to cover them when required.
    Neck beards look lovely, and I know a least 7 people with them who have good jobs, partners and children.

Are they doing exceptionally well in these good jobs? are they very respected, nay, revered by peers & clients alike?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 571 ✭✭✭fortwilliam

BizzyC wrote: »
    1. Her career is doing exceptionally well
    2. She's very well respected
    3. She gets on very well with clients and deals with them face to face on a regular basis
    4. Can't comment, cause I don't know her socially
    5. Can't comment, but she is married and has a child

Again, you've made a sweeping statement against having visible tattoos that doesn't apply to all cases.
    While it may have some impact, it's just completely wrong to say that having visible tattoos will stop people from getting a good job.

It does apply in all cases.
    Where did I say anything about tattoos stopping anybody getting any job?
    Your points 1,2 & 3, good for her and I hope it continues, my points however still stand firm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Festy wrote: »
    Are terrible,why do some people think they actually look good ?

I'm not a big fan of tattoo's myself tbh but why would a person make themselves look so trashy by getting one on their neck of all places,do they not realise how cheap it makes them look.:confused:

if someone with a neck tattoo applied to my place looking for a job, I'd interview them.

If someone wrote the word "tattoos" with an apostrophe anywhere in their job application, I wouldn't.

Funny how the world works.

• Advertisement

tbh wrote: »
    if someone with a neck tattoo applied to my place looking for a job, I'd interview them.

If someone wrote the word "tattoos" with an apostrophe anywhere in their job application, I wouldn't.

U r a grammer nazi lolz!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

You get a neck tattoo:

a) it better be good

b) you better be able to carry it

prime example of neither :

skinny hipster with f**k all ink on his arms and a massive sailor tatt on his gregory. Burn with fire

bogmanfan wrote: »
    What I don't understand is the people who have them at the side/back of the neck up to behind their ears. I mean, they can't see it themselves, without at least 2 mirrors, so why get it?

My thinking on tattoos has always been this: I've never owned an item of clothing that I didn't get tired of. I can't think of any item of clothing or watch that I wore 10 years ago that I would like to still wear. Therefore I know that any tattoo I would get I would be completely sick and tired of within a few years.

How do you feel about with being stuck with the same face all this time?

Bambi wrote: »

You just called him ugly, didn't you?

He doesn't like it when you call him ugly.

Penny Lane wrote: »
    If you're aiming to work in a conservative/traditional industry you would definitely need to reconsider visible tattoos/excessive piercings. I work at senior level in the creative industry (ad agency) and have 4 tattoos, 2 of which are visible but none of which are a problem because it's almost expected from creatives.

I like tattoos but they were associated with sailors and soldiers until a generation ago and that takes time to go away.

Every time "creative" is used as a job description i find myself desperately looking around for a sharp implement to stab the offender through the eye with :)

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Problem123456

I would NEVER hire someone with a neck tattoo.

• Advertisement

Every time "creative" is used as a job description i find myself desperately looking around for a sharp implement to stab the offender through the eye with :)

Stabbing with a sharp implement, in the eye, isn't very creative.

It does apply in all cases.
    Where did I say anything about tattoo's stopping anybody getting any job?
    Your points 1,2 & 3, good for her and I hope it continues, my points however still stand firm.

Actually your statements were directed towards the example of my coworker, and in this case they're simply wrong.

Your point is only valid if you're the one determining the impact on the person, so no it doesn't apply in all cases.

It's a very subjective topic, some people will look negatively on it, others wont.
    As such some people will see negative affects of doing it, others wont.
    It is simply incorrect to assume everyone will be negatively affected by getting visible tattoos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

I woudl not hire soemone with a visible neck, wrist, or hand tattoo simeply because I would think they doing so is a) retarded, b) its a statement of fcuk society/the man/authority, i do what I like!!! c) If B is incorrect then that person doesnt really think things through before doing irrepairable actions.

All negative qualities methinks.

Would you hire someone who wrote the above paragraph?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

Looks awful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

Would you hire someone who wrote the above paragraph?

Grammar nazism is a close second in the retardation stakes to neck tatoos. I was typing on a tablet and couldnt have beed arsed to fix the typos.

• Advertisement

Grammar nazism is a close second in the retardation stakes to neck tatoos. I was typing on a tablet and couldnt have beed arsed to fix the typos.

Not grammar nazism at all. Although you haven't covered yourself in glory with the above comeback either, just saying!:D
    I was just pointing out that it's silly to exclude potential employees on such fickle grounds. You say you'd never hire anyone with a neck tattoo (because of retardation apparently) I'm merely pointing out that the majority of people charged with hiring a new employee, would immediately discount your application on the grounds that your writing skills appear to be extremely poor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭Festy

tbh wrote: »

I thought grammar nazis aren't welcome here ? You of all people should know that.....

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=63152137#post63152137

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 571 ✭✭✭fortwilliam

Actually your statements were directed towards the example of my coworker, and in this case they're simply wrong..

They are not, proven by your next point.
    It's a very subjective topic, some people will look negatively on it, others wont.
    It is simply incorrect to assume everyone will be negatively affected by getting visible tattoos.

Who assumed that? certainly not me...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

I don't remember seeing many people with neck tattoos other than celebrities who make millions and millions and don't have to care about the impression they make on a job interviewer.

Secondly, I've never seen a job interviewer with any visible tattoos let alone a neck tattoo.

chris-brown-neck-tattoo.jpg

Travis-Barker-neck-Tattoo.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

Sh*t jobs...

I have my hands tattooed, and I am certain my job is better than yours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I av a tattoo of Jeremy Kyle and all de datez I was on the show underneeef it innit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

Well since i haven't felt the need to alter it with ink or piercings, obviously great

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

Are terrible,why do some people think they actually look good ?

Because to some, they ACTUALLY look good.
    ~shocker~

__
    I woudl not hire soemone with a visible neck, wrist, or hand tattoo simeply because I would think they doing so is a) retarded, b) its a statement of fcuk society/the man/authority, i do what I like!!!

So you've judged them before you've even met them?

And to make wrist tattoos a problem???

wow..well am I glad tattoos are becoming more common, and therefore more acceptable!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

I thought grammar nazis aren't welcome here ? You of all people should know that.....

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=63152137#post63152137

This is the point
    > .

And this is you
    > :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Peetrik

I'd imagine for the most part its something that someone would give a lot of thought to before getting it done.

Perhaps the person getting tattooed is purposefully and intentionally committing themselves to rejecting both a certain type of lifestyle and social circle whose ideals they dislike/don't agree with.

Not everyone cares about money

• Advertisement

I have my hands tattooed, and I am certain my job is better than yours.

I'm intriqued, what do you do (apart from rip bodices)
    I'm currently experiencing an extended hating my job phase, any going where you are?:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,280 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

My wife has twelve tattoos (including one on the nape of her neck) and a large-ish ear plug. I've no body-mods myself but that's mainly because the only one I want, I couldn't justify the expense of at this point in my life.

I still wouldn't hire someone with a tattoo on the side of their neck in any role where they could potentially be representing the company though. Absolutely screams "scumbag" to me and I'd assume it would to many others.

For a job emptying bins, washing cars, in a kitchen etc. I wouldn't worry about it but for anything professional, even where the employee was unlikely to ever meet customers (e.g. a development role) they'd really have to stand out head and shoulders from the other candidates technically to be worth taking on knowing you could never bring them out for customer meetings etc.

I'm intriqued, what do you do (apart from rip bodices)
    I'm currently experiencing an extended hating my job phase, any going where you are?:D

I am a tattoo artist. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

as said if its done cheap and something in likes of shamrock or other crap it might look crap and make some troubles in future jobs etc.
    But i know many professions where tattoos actually add up with personality and what person does,ex many mechanics have tattoos on their arms,body builders,most sports people etc.
    but if you are some office worker or in some sort of serious business it might be seen dodgy,cheap and person ,as not serious.

I am a tattoo artist. :D

Is there much call for pathetic, childish looking stick men? cos that's about my limit when it comes to drawing. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Duck's hoop

Funny thing about many tattoos and tattooees is the sameness of a huge amount of them.

'Tattoos express my individuality. I'm getting a candy skull cos they're what everybody's getting right now, soooo cool. And then a koi. Cos it's not tribal.'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Einstein

I can't believe the closed mindedness I've seen on this thread...sweeping statements like scumbag etc...

Lots of people wear suits and are absolute scumbags...they'd rape, rob and lie to your face.

Tattooing has been around for thousands and thousands of years. I have a 3/4 sleeve (albeit unfinished 'cos I'm broke:P) that peeks just above my tshirt line and to the front of my chest....I also work in the healthcare industry and could save your life if you collapsed in front of me....

But because you can see it, you're clearly offended by it and I'm retarded because its uncovered.....do you not want me to assist you or your family member?

There's a whole lot of bull sh*t in this thread.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

I think it's still fairly easy to discern the 'scumbag' neck tattoo type from the 'Shane Lynch from Boyzone' sort of blokes who also have them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Blondini

Tattoos are cool.

(in 1983)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Ruudi_Mentari

actually want one now, jus like professor gween

Funny thing about many tattoos and tattooees is the sameness of a huge amount of them.

'Tattoos express my individuality. I'm getting a candy skull cos they're what everybody's getting right now, soooo cool. And then a koi. Cos it's not tribal.'

I am a tattooist and I don't think a single person has ever told me they were getting their tattoo to express their individuality. Not once in seven years. And everybody tells me their reason, usually in great detail.

They are not, proven by your next point.

Who assumed that? certainly not me...

So you just decided to disagree with my posts without actually reading them then....

Advertisement