Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repeated problems with pay

Options
  • 27-06-2013 10:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 22

I work for a company who outsources the payment of wages. There have been numerous mistakes, issues and problems I have had with my wages, ranging from underpayments to overpayments to non payment of tax/income levy, etc.

Both I and my employer are having difficulty in resolving these issues, essentially being ignored, or mistakes being amended by larger mistakes.

Can anyone shed some light on what the obligations are of this payroll company to me, as an employee? As it is incredibly frustrating and seemingly impossible to get concrete information on.

My employer is frustrated with this so it is something I am trying to figure out and chase up myself.

Thanks in advance to anyone who's willing to help!

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I'm not an expert by any means, but I would doubt that the payroll company has any obligation to you directly. Your employer has a direct obligation to you, it's their responsibility to ensure that you are paid correctly. I believe the outsourced payroll company would only have a direct obligation to your employer.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Chops80

I feared that would be the situation.

My problems are worsened by the fact I actually no longer work for the employer, and therefore they dont really have an obligation to me either. We're talking about a litany of obvious mistakes, which the provider has admitted responsibility for (by email) and a chain of emails that have not being responded to and recorded calls which have not being returned.

I really have no idea what to do next.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

Since you no longer work there, make a complaint under the Payment of Wages act via Workplace relations.

This complaint will go to your employer who in turn has an obligation to ensure that the payroll company rectifies the issue.

At the end of the day, if your employer was aware of all these issues they had a responsibility to ensure the company they had contracted to administer their payroll was performing as they should. As soon as this was apparent that it wasn't, he should have been taking decisive action to resolve the issue, even if it means taking his business elsewhere. He can't just shift all the responsibility onto the payroll company and think it is nothing to do with him. He needs to address it, but that is his problem. Your only concern should be getting your wages sorted out - how your employer does that and what he says/how he proceeds with his payroll company is his problem (and a problem he should have been more proactive in resolving sooner, as soon as he was aware of the issue).

Advertisement