Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Time HTPC Help

• 27-06-2013 11:05am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭

I have looked at some HTPC's and quite like the look of them and would be interested in having one myself. I have no idea where I would need to start or what exactly I would need to buy. Can anyone give me some pointers? I know I'll need a case, but what all do I need to put inside it, or would it even be just as easy to buy a good spec PC and add a TV card and use it that way?

Ideally I'd like to watch all of the channels available on Saorview, Freeview and Freesat all in one handy Guide and I can put the channels in whatever order I wish with full 7 day listings. Also, I'd love to be able to record at least 2 channels at once, but 3 or 4 even better.

Would also like to connect up my external HDD (or copy my film catelogue onto an internal HDD) and be able to watch my DVD collection which I have made into .avi's and also play some downloaded .mkv's, .mp4's and .flv's.

I assume it will be controlled by a remote wirelessly connected to the HTPC, but what happens if there's a power outage etc. Will I need to have a spare keyboard and mouse somewhere just in case to get it all back up and running again?

Cheers for any advice! :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

Hi Paddy,

Good info on this site.
    http://mymediaexperience.com
    http://mymediaexperience.com/htpc-builds/

A link to an eBook from the same site : http://bit.ly/ebook_2012

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,021 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I built one some six months ago ..... finally completed it recently.

I bought all the components separately and assembled it myself .... but I am no stranger to building PC hardware.

I have two TBS cards for the tuners .... DTT & SAT
    I did not get a card with a card slot, so receive both Saorview and free to view Satellite channels.

I use Openelec operating system with a couple of addons and have full EPG for all channels.

All channels are on the one listing.

Within Openelec I have selected to use TVHeadend as the back end for managing the tuners and channels and it uses XBMC as the front end.
    XBMC is also installed on a couple of PCs and they can view the same TV stations as the main TV, over the LAN.

It took a bit of setting up to get everything working as I wished but it is solid.

I used a decent motherboard with on board graphics and a cheap CPU ..... thinking I might have to get a better one if it did not work out, but no problems so far on that score.

IMO, you would need to be interested in getting into it to go this route, as it could be somewhat frustrating not having everything working as you expect very quickly.

On the other hand you can do things with it that no pre-built box, except the dearer ones which use Linux OS can provide.
    That box also acts as a standard PC when I want it to ..... I have another OS installed as well as Openelec and choose which to use when booting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166 ✭✭gleesonger

It is easy enough to set up a HTPC for your own collection of media (DVD rips, downloads, music, photos, etc) as well as streaming services. But trying to include the TV channels can be a pain.

I've put together 2 HTPCs (for myself and the parents) both times I:
    • Bought a cheap 2nd hand small PC for ~100e (I watch Adverts.ie for a week or so looking for a good deal)
    • Bought a low end graphics card with HDMI out for ~30e from amazon
    • A decent sized external hard drive (1TB ~80e)
    • A wireless keyboard (~30e)
    • Use XBMC as the interface

I'd recommend keeping it simple at first and then look at expanding to include the other options.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,040 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

I built one some six months ago ..... finally completed it recently.

I bought all the components separately and assembled it myself .... but I am no stranger to building PC hardware.

I have two TBS cards for the tuners .... DTT & SAT
    I did not get a card with a card slot, so receive both Saorview and free to view Satellite channels.

I use Openelec operating system with a couple of addons and have full EPG for all channels.

All channels are on the one listing.

Within Openelec I have selected to use TVHeadend as the back end for managing the tuners and channels and it uses XBMC as the front end.
    XBMC is also installed on a couple of PCs and they can view the same TV stations as the main TV, over the LAN.

It took a bit of setting up to get everything working as I wished but it is solid.

I used a decent motherboard with on board graphics and a cheap CPU ..... thinking I might have to get a better one if it did not work out, but no problems so far on that score.

IMO, you would need to be interested in getting into it to go this route, as it could be somewhat frustrating not having everything working as you expect very quickly.

On the other hand you can do things with it that no pre-built box, except the dearer ones which use Linux OS can provide.
    That box also acts as a standard PC when I want it to ..... I have another OS installed as well as Openelec and choose which to use when booting.

Sounds great, might be interested in doing something similar if I decide not to go with Sky or NTL when I get home in a few months. I wonder would hardwareversand be able to make up a box? I've never built a PC before and I reckon the €20 they charge to build PCs is money well spent. All you need with that then is a satellite dish or an aerial in the attic?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,021 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

All you need with that then is a satellite dish or an aerial in the attic?

Both; Sat dish and aerial for DTT (Irish channels).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

I have a similar windows based soloution.

I use DVBLink TVSource and Connect server with A DVB-T card connected to an Areial for Saorview Chanlels, A Hauppauge DVB-S2 dcard for UK Channels connected to a dish pointing at Astra 28 and a Second DVB-S card connected to a dish pointing at Hotbird 13.

The DVB TV source is teh backend TV server and I collect EPG data using an app called EPG collector.

I use windows media center as my Media center of Cloice. The TV functioanlity is far better and more stable then XBMC and I prefer teh interface. You can, However, Use DVBLogic as a backend for XBMC if you wish.

The DVBlogic connect server allows me to watch TV on any Ipad, Iphone, android or internet browser on my network. I can also use windows media center and connect to it and watch tv. I coudl also connect a mac, linus box etc and us ethat with teh dvblogic backend.

Advertisement