Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's happened to the Menu?

Options
  • 27-06-2013 11:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭

You've probably seen that the menu has changed. We've moved Talk To out of the Biz section and have moved Sys under the Boards.ie heading (as it's not so much a category of discussion and more of a part of Boards' infrastructure).

Any forums you were following won't have changed at all, the Follow functionality isn't dependent on where a forum is located in the menu system.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

Possibly a silly question, but why...? Having the "Sys" as it's own category made it easier to find and having multiple headings under the "Boards.ie" dropdown makes it seem slightly.. cramped.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

I expect it's because Sys means nothing to newer Boards users. Think about it - what does it mean? How does somebody relate Boards.ie-related forums to the Sys category?

Boards.ie -> Announcements
    Boards.ie -> Forum Requests
    Boards.ie -> Feedback
    Boards.ie -> Site Development
    Boards.ie -> Newbies & FAQ

Logically it makes much more sense. Just like in my own opinion it'd make more sense to have Boards.ie as the first dropdown and not the Talk-to forums.

I expect it's because Sys means nothing to newer Boards users. Think about it - what does it mean? How does somebody relate Boards.ie-related forums to the Sys category?

Boards.ie -> Announcements
    Boards.ie -> Forum Requests
    Boards.ie -> Feedback
    Boards.ie -> Site Development
    Boards.ie -> Newbies & FAQ

Logically it makes much more sense. Just like in my own opinion it'd make more sense to have Boards.ie as the first dropdown and not the Talk-to forums.

When you put it like that, you have a point and I also agree, the boards.ie dropdown should have more priority over the Talk To.. forums.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

When you put it like that, you have a point and I also agree, the boards.ie dropdown should have more priority over the Talk To.. forums.

Come here to say exactly that. This is not talkto.ie it's boards.ie and that should be the first menu.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

I've Post of the Day linking to totd

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭Boards.ie: Rónán

tricky D wrote: »
    I've Post of the Day linking to totd

Nice spot, will get that sorted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,002 ✭✭✭Seedy Arling

The drop down menus are not dropping down for me. Using chrome.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Orion wrote: »
    Come here to say exactly that. This is not talkto.ie it's boards.ie and that should be the first menu.

Ditto on this. 'Boards.ie' should absolutely be the first dropdown.

I don't mind whether 'Talk to...' goes to 2nd, 3rd, last or its rightful alphabetical location.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

No particular opinion on this, but it's still the old way in the older beta skin. Do you plan on switching this too?

Also agreed regarding the position of boards.ie/Talk to... drop downs. The rest of the drop downs are done alphabetically, Talk to should be before Tech.

Edit: Talk to drop down looks very neat actually, good move there imo.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Danny

The drop down menus are not dropping down for me. Using chrome.

Hey, please try logging out and then back in again. If that doesn't help then please drop over to Site Development and post a new thread on your issue. You might also take a visit over to the diagnostics page and copy all of your details (except your IP address) into the new post too and we can try get it resolve for you :)
    No particular opinion on this, but it's still the old way in the older beta skin. Do you plan on switching this too?

Also agreed regarding the position of boards.ie/Talk to... drop downs. The rest of the drop downs are done alphabetically, Talk to should be before Tech.

Edit: Talk to drop down looks very neat actually, good move there imo.

There'll be no change to the older styles, they're no longer supported.

Danny

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,002 ✭✭✭Seedy Arling

Hey, please try logging out and then back in again. If that doesn't help then please drop over to Site Development and post a new thread on your issue. You might also take a visit over to the diagnostics page and copy all of your details (except your IP address) into the new post too and we can try get it resolve for you :)

There'll be no change to the older styles, they're no longer supported.

Danny

Sorted now whatever the story was. Thanks.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I know this is not exactly related to this thread, but it might hopefully get a quick answer here. I have seen for ages that the long term plan is to have everyone use the new menu and style, but being a grumpy old traditionalist I have stuck to the old default style and the old dropdown menus. Now I understand that these are not officially supported anymore (as evidenced by the fact that the changes described in this thread are not made in those old menus), but are there any firm plans to remove this old functionality at all? I'm ok with it being a bit out of date and accept that I need to move if I want to see it updated, but until such time as it impacts my usage of the site I don't plan to move to the new style.

Is it style a vauge "we plan to get rid of it" or are there actual plans afoot to remove it? Personally I'm hoping that it is just left there, but I understand that for operational reasons this might not be feasible. I wouldn't like to log in one day though and find that I have been forced to the new style without being given time for mourn for old ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Agree with the people saying Boards.ie needs to be first. Talk To could slot nicely in between Boards and Adverts, or between Adverst and Arts and that'd be cool.

Not a fan of having Sys under Boards.ie as someone who browses the Sys forums a lot, but I guess if it makes more sense to new users then I'll just have to get used to it. :(

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I see the talk to tab has been introduced to the old beta skin, and is in the correct alphabetical position.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Another +1 for putting the Boards.ie menu first. It is Boards.ie after all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭C.K Dexter Haven

Just so you know- When you click on a link on boards (say, this thread for example), the page obviously starts moving towards the new page you asked for- and in the small time gap between asking for the page, and the page loading, the old top menu appears with Sys in the top right hand side where it was before- I managed to click on this link to get to here.

Advertisement