Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teaching Council Requirments for PGCE in UK from 2014

Options
  • 27-06-2013 11:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

Just a quick question about doing the PGCE in the UK, I just came across this notice on the teaching council’s website, saying that anyone doing teacher training outside of Ireland from 2014 will have to do a course of 120ECTS credits to have it recognized in Ireland.

http://www.teachingcouncil.ie/latest-news/important-notice-for-those-commencing-a-teaching-qualification-outside-ireland-from-1-january-2014.1563.html

From what I can see, all PGCE courses in the UK are one year courses, and would consist of 60 ECTS points. I know that the Irish PGDE is being extended to two years and therefore would be 120 ECTS points, but does this mean that anyone doing a PGCE in the UK from next year won’t be able to have it recognized in Ireland (as I don’t think there are currently any PGCEs in the UK that award 120 ECTS points?)?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭airneal

Hi, I don't really know that exact answer to that. I guess that the qualification from the UK may not be fully recognised as such under their crediting system. The UK may follow suit though, as in making their qualifications of 2 years duration also! You should ring the teaching council to get full clarification on that!

cnn27 wrote: »
    Just a quick question about doing the PGCE in the UK, I just came across this notice on the teaching council’s website, saying that anyone doing teacher training outside of Ireland from 2014 will have to do a course of 120ECTS credits to have it recognized in Ireland.

http://www.teachingcouncil.ie/latest-news/important-notice-for-those-commencing-a-teaching-qualification-outside-ireland-from-1-january-2014.1563.html

From what I can see, all PGCE courses in the UK are one year courses, and would consist of 60 ECTS points. I know that the Irish PGDE is being extended to two years and therefore would be 120 ECTS points, but does this mean that anyone doing a PGCE in the UK from next year won’t be able to have it recognized in Ireland (as I don’t think there are currently any PGCEs in the UK that award 120 ECTS points?)?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

In fairness, this might be no harm. The jobs market is already over-crowded without people going across the water to qualify just because they didn't get a place in Ireland. People keep complaining that the teacher training colleges should be restricted in how many graduates they produce for the same of the jobs market. This way, at least it will only be graduates from Irish courses will be recognized by the TC without having a bunch from england too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

RealJohn wrote: »
    In fairness, this might be no harm. The jobs market is already over-crowded without people going across the water to qualify just because they didn't get a place in Ireland. People keep complaining that the teacher training colleges should be restricted in how many graduates they produce for the same of the jobs market. This way, at least it will only be graduates from Irish courses will be recognized by the TC without having a bunch from england too.

Hibernia takes up the English market instead now I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

RealJohn wrote: »

Bit of a reach to say people only go to UK because they didnt get a place in Ireland.

I know I went for financial reasons.

Fees in Ireland in 2006
    €6,700

Fees in UK in 2006
    €1800

Grant support available to me in Ireland
    €0

Grant support available in UK
    €10,500

PGCE was a better course with more teaching hours, 11 hours per week for 38 weeks, teaching to a higher level than LC, ie AS & A2 level, more practical based lectures instead of history & structure, philosophy of Ed Shiite, & the course including 60 credits towards an MA in Ed.

No brainer for me then.
    Situation has changed a lot over there since then though.

I think it's absolutely crazy that it would now take 6 years to become a science teacher in this country, 4 years for degree & 2 for PGDEp whereas it'll only take 4 in the UK, 3 year Honours degree & 1 year PGCE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭airneal

I've just seen this new amended fees page for NUIG. It use to be without "p.a." Seems to me that fees will be now 12,650 to do the PDE course, that's unbelievable.

EU (Total): €6,325 p.a. 2013/14 (inclusive of Levy)
    - Tuition: €6,101 p.a. 2013/14
    - Student levy: €224 p.a. 2013/14
    Non-EU (Total): €13,250 p.a. 2013/14

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

That is unreal...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

I think it's absolutely crazy that it would now take 6 years to become a science teacher in this country, 4 years for degree & 2 for PGDEp whereas it'll only take 4 in the UK, 3 year Honours degree & 1 year PGCE.

Doing a BSc/PGDE is not the only route to becoming a science teacher. A number of universities here offer a BSc in Science Education, which is done in 4 years. The one I did in UL qualified me to teach three Leaving Cert subjects.

I'm aware of that.

Those course were very specific in nature up until recently though.
    Mainly PE, Home Ec & Construction/DCG etc.

Other avenues have since opened up including Maths & Science options.

I still feel most people should go through a primary degree to get some time away from secondary schools/primary schools. before specializing, as otherwise you could go from the age of 5 to 65 without ever being out of a school building, but that's just my personal opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Crazyteacher

That BSc Science Ed is UCD is now 5 years .

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

I'm aware of that.

Those course were very specific in nature up until recently though.
    Mainly PE, Home Ec & Construction/DCG etc.

Other avenues have since opened up including Maths & Science options.

I still feel most people should go through a primary degree to get some time away from secondary schools/primary schools. before specializing, as otherwise you could go from the age of 5 to 65 without ever being but of a school building, but that's just my personal opinion.

I graduated in 2000, and it's been running a lot longer than that. Thomond College of Education (now part of UL), was established in 1970.

You could argue that about any degree, why go straight into Dentistry, you'll be looking at teeth long enough, why not do a biology degree first?

• Advertisement

The first bit adds nothing to your original point, at all.

I've acknowledged that I know that you know there were/are some courses (PE, Home Ec, Practical based subjects) that lead into secondary teaching (& have been there for years) in less time than the newly proposed 6 years.

As for your point Re: dentistry, I'd agree with that idea, sure isn't that part of the basis behind the introduction of pre-Med for most medicine courses?

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭williaint

I would just like to know if there is anyone who has returned to Ireland from the UK with a secondary PGCE (11 to 18) since last year? I am currently doing my PGCE in England and have the option to progress to a MEd next year. As far as I know, this MEd is worth 90 ECTS but the TC stipulates you need 120 ECTS in your teacher education qualification (i.e. equivalent of Professional Masters in Education). Has anybody already crossed this bridge with the TC? "Shortfalls" in my experience are usually addressed by one paying more money.

Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭cnn27

I did my PGCE in Manchester two years ago and have stayed here since then. I'm wondering about returning as well, but as I'd only be qualified to teach German by the teaching council, I'm really not confident about my prospects of a full-time job (fairly sure it just wouldn't happen). I got the impression that if we return, we can apply for some sort of provisional recognition under the EU mutual recognition of qualifications directive (not sure how BREXIT will impact on this..), and can then start teaching in schools straight away, but we'd have to make up any missing credits by attending university courses (part-time etc.) within a few years. Would be interesting to see has anyone had any direct experience with this.

I have yet to meet or hear of anyone who has returned from England with a PGCE post 2014...I have my PGCE from a really good university and I am currently doing my MEd (I want this so I can go to Europe as well, it wasn't just for the TC). I am also MFL and I teach in Greater Manchester. I have a friend who was in England for four years and she is offically only qualified to teach German and she found a career break post at home straight away. Tbh I think if you can teach in England and stick it you can teach ANYWHERE.

Advertisement