Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Bal up for sale

Options
  • 27-06-2013 11:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.daft.ie/searchsale.daft?id=720152

Saw that this place is on the market, and I don't really know how much pubs go for in general but it seems cheap to me.

I hope someone with some taste buys it and knocks it :pac:

I've got a particular loathing for the place, it's an absolute eyesore and normally I'm not one to even comment on how good a place looks, but this place just looms, it's tacky and I'd really love to see someone to do something decent with it. it was like an attempt to put an upmarket Dublin superpub in Galway, it just didn't fit in with anything around it. even if they took out that looming glass front, that'd be a huge improvement.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

I don't think the exterior looks overly bad; the interior is a bit tacky alright.
    I never was inside the place, I wonder did it ever do much trade?

Hard to know how much would buy it, those AMV can be misleading.

Regardless, probably millions of euros lost on this business venture, is it in NAMA?.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,158 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

I don't think the exterior looks overly bad; the interior is a bit tacky alright.
    I never was inside the place, I wonder did it ever do much trade?

Hard to know how much would buy it, those AMV can be misleading.

Regardless, probably millions of euros lost on this business venture, is it in NAMA?.
    Hmm, that dont make no sense!

I actually think its a nice pub but the fact that Salthill isnt a nightlife area rules it out for everything bar the summer really, unless you turn it into something that has a particular novelty or attraction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

Hmm, that dont make no sense!

There are a few photos of the interior on the OP's link.

Its got that cheap hostel look about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,158 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

There are a few photos of the interior on the OP's link.

Its got that cheap hostel look about it.
    Id go with spacious, open and bright but its all relative i guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

I think it cost 1.1 million to buy the old bal and 1.6 to build the new bal. I'm sure a certain famous publican will be in the running to purchase it.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Isn't Galway overpopulated by pubs as it is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TristanPeter

I love that building! At least there was imagination used, compared to Lohan's for example, which I believe to be the worst of the worst architecturally-speaking (exterior), especially given their prime location. It's a pity The Bal is not facing the prom. The huge glass windows would really make the most of the views. My friend's father built the place (Duane Construction) and if I remember correctly, he said two Swedish or Dutch architects designed it. It would make a really cool house.
    I think Duane Construction built Lohan's too come to think of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭emptybladder

€2.9m down to €350k? Eeek!

http://www.connachttribune.ie/galway-news/item/690-salthill-pub-on-the-market-for-fraction-of-cost

I reckon it'll sell for around 700k to 800k.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 77 ✭✭NoPasaran

You know I've walked past that a few times and never actually looked up...

The building would be great if it were actually facing out onto the water, it's exactly the type of structure you see in those locations. Where it is though is just a bit odd.

"Salthill has had a major revival in recent years, and it is very much a destination now"
    :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

snubbleste wrote: »
    "Salthill has had a major revival in recent years, and it is very much a destination now"

That's the bit that stood out for me too! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭BeardySi

Always thought someone must have mixed up the plans for Lohans and the Bal, each would be much better in the other location...

Never liked the place personally, it always felt rather soulless...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

It's a monstrosity and an eyesore, second only to the Bailey Point.

If I had won the Euromillions I would buy it and knock it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

€2.9m down to €350k? Eeek! http://www.connachttribune.ie/galway-news/item/690-salthill-pub-on-the-market-for-fraction-of-cost I reckon it'll sell for around 700k to 800k.

heard from a good source the other night that it cost over 4 million to buy & build but never made money no matter who tried to run the place. they should gut it and install one of those free fall \skydiving simulators with the huge fan at the bottom, it'd be great fun :D .... for a while at least!

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Had The Bal been built on Lohans site, it would have been a screaming sucess, imho.
    Open, airy pub in a prime location with large windows offering panoramic views of the bay would have gotten a good passing trade all day long.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Paddyfield

I went to the Bal for Sunday lunch 3 or 4 years ago with my kids. The server said he'd be with us in a few minutes. Despite grabbing his attention on 2 more occasions, he never took our order. We left after 20mins of waiting and went elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Greaney

I think it was a sports pub, or that was the idea. The place was full of telly's. I went for a drink there..... once:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Missyelliot2

Is that where O'Connors used to be?

No, it's next door to O'Connor's.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

O'Connors is still there. The Bal is between O'Connors and the Post Office.

I never liked the look of the new Bal and thought it impractical for Salthill.
    Salthill can get very quite, particularly in Winter. During quite times, it's important to be able to run a pub with one bar person. Not easy when the pub is split over 3 floors.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 817 ✭✭✭audman

:)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

In fairness the whole of Salthill is a catalogue of architectural horrors.

Can't think of one building that has a single bit of aesthetic merit.

In fairness the whole of Salthill is a catalogue of architectural horrors.
    Can't think of one building that has a single bit of aesthetic merit.
    Surely BurrenMount has some redeeming features?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 817 ✭✭✭audman

What about the Baily Point guys? Serving a huge purpose in the Salthill area, always seems to be very busy! I'm
    convinced it was built as a prop type replica for the MI6 building in James Bond.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

Of course, I stand eternally corrected :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Arnold Layne

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    It's a monstrosity and an eyesore, second only to the Bailey Point.

If I had won the Euromillions I would buy it and knock it.

And rebuild the old Bal

• Registered Users Posts: 35 its me_330

OMG that is hideous. I had some brilliant nites.in the old bal years ago when we went to salthill. What were they thinking building this eyesore. Have to go bak to salthill soon. Is salt and pepper chipper there?

Yeah, it's still there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 nineteen66

it was a proper pub in the 80's,if u asked for a beer you got smithwicks,a pint was Guinness and it was harp with a dash of lime during the salthill festival.if you wanted a coffee the jar of Maxwell house came out.......

Advertisement