Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CPP.CO.UK

Options
  • 27-06-2013 11:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭

Has anyone got any experience claiming from these crowd?

In short, they take €35 every year from my credit card for a Card Protection Plan. I have no recollection of signing up for this or being advised of it when i applied for my credit card in 2004. I contacted the CPP to ask for a copy of the signed form/policy and they advised me that they were instructed to take out this cover from BOI and to contact them. I then contacted BOI who tell me that CPP would have sent me a form to sign and return directly to CPP and to contact them about it and that because its more than 7 yrs ago any files relating to this matter with the BOI would probably have been destroyed.

Do i now contact the Financial Regulator? Or do i ring the BOI back insisting that CPP advise that they are at fault or vise versa?

Anyone advice or pointers in relating to making a claim or complaining would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I got a new cc from BOI about 7 years ago. I remember there being a form in it from a similar sounding company, all bundled with the bank's paperwork looking all official. But on reading it, I could see it was a protection plan separate from the bank and it sounds awfully like what you got. I did not send mine in. Basically it was an insurance policy with a private company, not pp from your bank.

I'm not much help to you in terms of a refund, but its on your cc statement from you bank. If it were me, they are who I would be hassling on this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Write to boi and start a claim for miss selling ppi. The have a section for it

Give the reasons you gave in your post.once you get an answer from then you can proceed to the regulator if you need to. In the mean time cancel it if you are sure you don't need the cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Banking & Insurance & Pensions, which is better suited to this topic.

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭kassie

thank folks! I wasn't sure whether i should cancel it straight away or wait until i can see about a possible rebate for mis sold policy. I will write to both BOI with complaint/claim and to CPP to cancel the policy outright.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Write to boi and start a claim for miss selling ppi. The have a section for it

Give the reasons you gave in your post.once you get an answer from then you can proceed to the regulator if you need to. In the mean time cancel it if you are sure you don't need the cover.

Card Protection is not the same as PPI (which covered your credit card payments if you lost employment/were seriously ill but did not cover self-employed folks, students etc).

It was/is pretty much available to all card holders: it's simply a service which allowed a user to register all their cards with one centralised provider and call them if the cards were lost/stolen and let them follow up with the banks etc. As such it couldn't really be mis-sold in the manner.

This was a common product made available with cards. OP, it's quite likely you agreed to it because you simply didn't understand or didn't read the forms carefully at the time. You can cancel it, but you most likely will not be eligible for a refund.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,020 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

BuffyBot wrote: »
    This was a common product made available with cards. OP, it's quite likely you agreed to it because you simply didn't understand or didn't read the forms carefully at the time. You can cancel it, but you most likely will not be eligible for a refund.
    Indeed. I fell for this as well (though it's not a scam per se) but once I noticed the first transaction I canceled it. 7 years is a long time not to spot something you didn't agree to OP. I doubt you're entitled to anything here.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭kassie

http://www.independent.co.uk/money/spend-save/five-questions-about-card-protection-plans-8324169.html

It was one of those things that was always put on the long finger to sort out over the years, because it was only taken once a year when i saw the transaction i would think "i must look into that" but then would forget to follow up... and now that every penny counts these days its time to really take action! If i'm entitled to a rebate - good and well, if not no harm done and the policy is cancelled!

Advertisement