Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Satellite Digital Receivers

Options
  • 27-06-2013 12:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭

Any suggestions for where to buy a satellite digital receiver in or near Sligo? (ie a box to connect the satellite dish to the tv to receive freeview).

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

I think PC World have one that does Satelite and Saorview for about 80 euro. They are towards the back of the store in the left corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

The combi units that do Sat. and Saorview vary in price according to features as you'd imagine. The one in Curry's (PC World) is probably the 4life which is a very basic unit. I have one since last Sept. and it's been replaced under guarantee 3 times. ( no problem getting it replaced)
    Derry Taheny Electrical on the Quays does one for (I think) around a hundred that has 5 day EPG etc. so more features.

If you just want the FTA sat. programmes there probably cheaper.
    There's also Tom's TV that you could try. He's an installer and a very helpful guy. (I have no association with him btw!)

http://www.tomstv.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭T-Bird

Aldi had some when I was there earlier in the week (that would be box and dish though). But they would only do the free to air UK stations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

Cheers folks. Good info, much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Just to make clear, the Dish and Satellite receiver will only pick up the Free to Air UK Stations.

If you want to Irish Stations, you need a suitable Ariel and a Saorview receiver, either one built into the TV, or a box.

I do the above. Using a €30/40 box from Aldi/Lidl connected to the dish for the UK stations (BBC1-4 and News, ITV1-4, all the Channel 4 and Channel 5 stations, selected News and Music Stations, loads others plus radio, no subscribtion channels), and TV with built in Digital Receiver with indoor Ariel for the Saorview (rte 1,2, news, RTE JR, TV3, E3, and TG4).

If you are living in a boarder area (or certain parts of the east coast) you might be able to pick up both the Saorview and UK Freeview though a TV with built in Digital receiver.

We're able to do this at home in Donegal, picking up all of the above.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Saw these in the expert shop beside argos.

They were under a large TV beside the door.

Hi Guys.

Just giving the heads up on this.

Goodmans HD Freeview Satellite Receiver Box:

€49.99 in Tesco. Was €149.99

There are 3 left. At the top of the stairs, upstairs Tesco Arcade.

I took a chance, thinking you might need a HD TV, you don't as long as you have a Satellite Dish.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭easkey

Kettleson wrote: »
    Any suggestions for where to buy a satellite digital receiver in or near Sligo? (ie a box to connect the satellite dish to the tv to receive freeview).

Thanks

Try this Shop opposite Dunnes Stores on Adelaide Street.
    Link:
    http://sat-planet.ie/index.php?route=common/home

Bought a Satellite Box (Golden Wizard HD) 2 weeks ago good price.

Golden Media Spark Triplex FULL HD Receiver - Spec....
    http://sat-planet.ie/freeview_tv/satellite_receivers?product_id=146

Ok!!

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭tommyamnesia

Hi Guys.

Just giving the heads up on this.

Goodmans HD Freeview Satellite Receiver Box:

€49.99 in Tesco. Was €149.99

There are 3 left. At the top of the stairs, upstairs Tesco Arcade.

I took a chance, thinking you might need a HD TV, you don't as long as you have a Satellite Dish.

That sounds like a U.K. terrestrial box. If so won't work with dish. You would need an aerial and live close to border or east coast top pick up signal.

That sounds like a U.K. terrestrial box. If so won't work with dish. You would need an aerial and live close to border or east coast top pick up signal.

Its working tops Tommy. As many channels as you like and then some. But not the Irish ones...Goodmans good make too...I'm well chuffed with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

It actually sounds like a combo box in which case, the satellite bit will work fine but you are correct about the aerial / terrestrial part.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Its a freesat box. The mention of "freeview" earlier would have suggested it had terrestrial capability also.

easkey wrote: »
    Try this Shop opposite Dunnes Stores on Adelaide Street.
    Link:
    http://sat-planet.ie/index.php?route=common/home

Bought a Satellite Box (Golden Wizard HD) 2 weeks ago good price.

Golden Media Spark Triplex FULL HD Receiver - Spec....
    http://sat-planet.ie/freeview_tv/satellite_receivers?product_id=146

Ok!!
    easkey, do you know have they a walk-in shop or is it just online?

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭tommyamnesia

Ah, a freesat box. Freeview confused me. Looks like a bargain, very good features like 8 day EPG and automatic addition of new channels. Enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭red bellied

red sean wrote: »
    easkey, do you know have they a walk-in shop or is it just online?

He has a contact number on his site, would ring him first just to make sure he is there, its just a storage lock up he uses for his online selling.

He has a contact number on his site, would ring him first just to make sure he is there, its just a storage lock up he uses for his online selling.

Yes walk in shop....
    Michael is his name..New shop as he was just
    putting up shelves when i got mine.
    :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭red bellied

He must be expanding a bit more so, was in with him about four months ago and he had just moved to Adelaide Street but was excepting trade off the street. I doubt there is a cheaper place in Ireland for satellite equipment and even handier for us locals, cutting out postage costs. He actually did an install for me as well, at a very reasonable price.

He must be expanding a bit more so, was in with him about four months ago and he had just moved to Adelaide Street but was excepting trade off the street. I doubt there is a cheaper place in Ireland for satellite equipment and even handier for us locals, cutting out postage costs. He actually did an install for me as well, at a very reasonable price.

Yes was best price i found for STB on NET
    or any other shop. Helpful too.
    He said he was Russian and name was Michael:D

That's good news. Thanks easkey. My observation needs fine tuning! I've never even noticed the shop!

• Advertisement
Advertisement