Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Norwegian moving to Dublin

Options
  • 27-06-2013 1:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi!

I'm a Norwegian girl moving to Dublin in September to do my master's degree at DCU. I've lived in Dublin briefly before, when I was a study abroad student at DCU in 2012. However, this time I'm going there without the added support of the international community up at school, and I'm definitely foregoing campus accommodation - being 25 and used to living by myself, I just can't be bothered with the rules and regulations of campus living (did you know that you're not allowed to have people over after 11? And that you have to apply to have visitors overnight? Not my cup of tea, I'd like to be able to have my friends visiting from Norway to stay at my place, if someone decides to come).

So, I'm trying to find a place to stay. I've been looking at both Phibsboro and Drumcondra. Phibsboro I know a little bit from before, having had friends in the area (one right next to the mater hospital, the others in Royce road near the tesco). I quite like the north side, as well as it being handy when it comes to getting the bus to school.

Do you have any suggestions for me regarding places to stay? I would like it to be close to the city centre, with an easy commute to DCU and relatively safe, even though I've never experienced anything uncomfortable anywhere in town (except for the skinhead at the bus telling me I was "the perfect aryan princess" and mumbling something about "hitler was right". I didn't know wether to laugh or cry). Even though I'll be doing my master's, I'm planning of living a comfortable social life as well - we Norwegians do love our pints ;)

I've also seen people recommending Smithfield and Stoneybatter. Haven't spent much time in this area (never got around to visiting the Cobblestone, for instance. It was always closed when I tried), and I have never understood the Dublin bus site properly.

My budget is up to €500, but I wouldn't mind any cheaper accomodation.
    What advice do you have for me? Both accomodation-vise and in general? :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

First of all, welcome!

The areas you mentioned - Drumcondra, Phibsboro, Stoneybatter, Smithfield - are all good and should be very much affordable within your price range. The thing to consider is whether any of them are on a direct bus line to DCU. Off the top of my head, I know Drumcondra and Phibsboro definitely are, so they would both be very handy. These are also both good options as they are very close to city centre.

Stoneybatter is probably the nicest of the four as it has a small village feel with good pubs, cafes and restaurants, while also being right beside the city.

Another really nice area to consider is Glasnevin, which is also on the bus line. Just make sure the house is on the DCU side of Glasnevin, rather than the Finglas side.

Drumcondra has some really nice houses and pretty parts.

I find Phibsboro a bit too busy and have't seen many houses/apartments there.

Smithfield is right beside the city, but it is kind of a failed development. The plan was to build a bit of a village around it, but that was cut short due to the recession. There's a great cinema, some nice pubs and few good restaurants though.

I'm sure you already know this, but www.daft.ie is the website you want.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

One other alternative could be to look around Portobello / South Circular Road area - I think the #9 bus goes through that area before it goes into town and out to DCU. It might not be ideal if you're getting the bus at rush hour though as the journey through town would slow you down a bit.

Good area though; quite studenty so it's fairly cheap, but it's very close to town, particularly some of the best areas for nightlife like the stretch from Camden Street down to Georges Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭liffeylite

Smithfield is right beside the city, but it is kind of a failed development. The plan was to build a bit of a village around it, but that was cut short due to the recession. There's a great cinema, some nice pubs and few good restaurants though.

I think Smithfield has come on a lot over the last 12 months.

It has some really good pubs and live venues now with the Voodoo lounge reopened and Bigs bar opening recently.

Some great eateries and cafes, third space, Bel cibo, Namaste, Oscars, wuff, seven social, etc

The lighthouse, art house cinema is really great and the Smithfield art tunnel, as well as exhibitions going on at third space, block T etc give the village a real vibe.

it also has the advantage of the Luas so you can get into the city centre very easily and quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Would you not try to find a house share in Glasnevin / drumcondra beside dcu that is made up of just international students? There are becoming more common. I know Irish people aren't the best with living with non Irish. It's often a cultural thing and nothing with do with a particular nationality.

You are better off picking Glasnevin / drumcondra otherwise you will have to get a bus which is like €18 per week which is about €90 a month. Or just get a cheap bike( it's probably cheaper bringing one on the plane from Norway than buying one here).

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Bumbledee88

Thank you for your replies! I'll focus on drumcondra and phibsboro, I think - glasnevin is a bit far away from city centre for me. I'll need to take the bus anyway, and knowing myself right, there'll be some late nights out. I spent a ridiculous amount of money on taxis the last time ;)

As for living with Irish/internationals, I haven't really thought about that before. Is there any particular reasons the Irish isn't easy to live with as a foreigner? During my last stay, we only had one Irish girl in our apartment, and she became one of my very good friends. Might be different when there's a pack of Irish people, though ;)

Haven't really thought about portobello! Will definitely look into that! I know the number 9 (I think) stops in south st George's street, (am I remembering the name right?), so it might have come from there :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

I'm Irish and have lived successfully, and become friends with, foreign housemates. It all depends on the people!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Bumbledee88

Tusky wrote: »
    I'm Irish and have lived successfully, and become friends with, foreign housemates. It all depends on the people!

Glad to hear! I've met a lot of wonderful Irish people - and befriended some of them too :p Don't think Norwegians and Irish are too different, really - except perhaps the Irish are easier to talk to. And the banter! I miss the banter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

At 500euro per month there's not much choice but to share a house or apartment with some others. Around Drumcondra area it should be quite easy to get a room in a house for less than 500. I rented a huge double bedroom with ensuite in a house in Drumcondra for around 450euro per month last year. Some of my housemates were paying less than 400, although they had smaller rooms.

While Phibsboro isn't too bad, you'd have to walk a bit to catch a bus to DCU. Try to get some place closer to Drumcondra Road where all the buses go by.

As mentioned above, http://www.daft.ie is the place to look! You can setup an email notification for a search which I strongly recommend.

Advertisement