Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2013 Cooking Club Week 24: Cappuccino Cupcakes

Options
  • 27-06-2013 1:28pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

I've had to just lift this recipe from my blog so that we'd have a recipe this week after being let down by the scheduled poster! So hopefully it will appeal to a couple of you anyway.

I like a very strong coffee flavour, so halve the quantity of coffee if you prefer a milder flavour.

Ingredients

For the Cake:

40g ground coffee or 40g instant espresso powder
    240 ml whole milk
    80 g butter
    280 g caster sugar
    240g plain flour
    1 tablespoon baking powder
    1/4 teaspoon salt (leave out if you've used salted butter)
    2 large eggs

Frosting:

300 g icing sugar, sifted
    100 g butter
    40ml whole milk
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract

To Garnish:

Chocolate powder or flakes (I used Cadbury's Flake, beat up into small flakes)

Makes 12-16

Method:

Preheat oven to 190C/375F/gas mark 5 and line cupcake trays with cases.

Gently heat the milk without boiling it.

Stir in the coffee. Because I used ground coffee for a stronger flavour rather than instant, you need to be aware that they won't dissolve in the same way. I put my milk + coffee mixture in a french press, let it sit for 5 minutes, then pushed down the plunger and poured out the milk. There were still some grounds in it, but this didn't affect the end texture. If you're using instant espresso powder, you don't need to worry about all of that. It'll just dissolve into the warm milk.

While the milk is steeping, put the butter, sugar, flour, baking powder and salt if needed in a bowl and mix on a low speed with the paddle beater attachment, or by hand, until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.

Pour the coffee flavour milk into a clean jug and whisk in the eggs.

Gradually pour the liquid into the dry ingredients, stopping to scrape down the sides of the bowl occasionally.

When the mixture is thick and smooth, fill the cupcake cases two-thirds full and pop in the oven for 18-20 minutes.

When a skewer comes out clean, they're done. Allow to cool in the tray before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.

To make the frosting:

Sift the icing sugar into a bowl and add the butter.

Beat on a low speed until the mixture comes together.

Mix the milk and vanilla extract in another bowl, and gradually add to the dry ingredients.

When all the milk is absorbed, scrape down the sides of the mixture, turn the mixer to high speed and allow to beat for 5 minutes to get the buttercream really light and fluffy.

Pipe or spread the buttercream as desired, and sprinkle chocolate over the top.

1015061_10151699497980619_367644532_o.jpg

Photo: 11811

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,771 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Looks yum - I'll get Mrs Billy onto it next week! (I do savoury - she does sweet.)

Many thanks Faith!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Just my cup of tea coffee! Will make them this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

i love coffee cakes. Thanks for this, Faith. Will try it out soon.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I'll definitely make these too, I've been longing for coffee-flavoured cake lately :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

Looks fantastic Faith :) Canni wait to try these

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,799 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I made these yesterday. With the ingredients listed I ended up with a very liquid batter, so I had to add a fair bit of flour to it to get it to a consistency I was happy to bake. The finished product was delicious, mind - the combination of the coffee cake and vanilla frosting is heavenly.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Glad you liked them! Yeah, it is quite a wet batter but it firms up well in the oven. Good to know that they were still nice with the extra flour :).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭confusticated

I realised yesterday that I've made loads of stuff from the cooking club and not posted about it, and I know it can seem disappointing if there aren't many replies, so I'm gonna rectify it today - made these ages ago, and used the mix to make a birthday cake too (which weighed a ton, but was delicious!). I really liked them because they look like they're going to be chocolate, but then when they're not it's fun to see people trying to work out the flavours.

I had a really good photo of the cupcakes but can't find it, that'll teach me to post about it 7 months later!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭hattoncracker

I will definitely have to make those tomorrow! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭tmc86

Made these last night Faith!

Recipe was spot on :)

93A78E4D-681D-4DEB-8125-0624466CEE07_zpslet5jukn.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Those cases are gorgeous, tmc!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭tmc86

Faith wrote: »
    Those cases are gorgeous, tmc!

They're from a South African company http://www.bellacupcakecouture.com/ I picked them up last year there so this was the first time I had something to use them with!

Advertisement