Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newspaper archive query

• 27-06-2013 2:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

I've traced a family relation who at the age of 14 was killed when an elevator crushed him....It happened in Boston in 1910, and I was wondering if anyone could advise as to a newspaper archive where I could find out more about this...I don't really want to take a subscription just to search for one story so if anyone could help I'd be really grateful.

I've attached the death cert to make it easier to assist!

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13 hasta

Couldn't find anything on Thomas but found this in The Boston Globe 4th and 5th Dec 1905 which might be of interest

AMSLER - In Charlestown Dec 3, Francis, beloved child of Augustus A and Catherine Amsler (nee Higgins) 1 year 9 months and 29 days. Funeral from parents residence 268(?) Main Street. Tuesday Dec 6 at 2pm. Relatives and friends kindly invited to attend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭hjr

hasta wrote: »
    Couldn't find anything on Thomas but found this in The Boston Globe 4th and 5th Dec 1905 which might be of interest

AMSLER - In Charlestown Dec 3, Francis, beloved child of Augustus A and Catherine Amsler (nee Higgins) 1 year 9 months and 29 days. Funeral from parents residence 268(?) Main Street. Tuesday Dec 6 at 2pm. Relatives and friends kindly invited to attend.

Hi Hasta,

Many thanks for that, thats brilliant info, I had known of this death. Such a pity nothing to found on Thomas, as I was sure with the nature of the case, that it would have made the newspapers..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭chasm

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=sArNgO4T4MoC&dat=19100519&printsec=frontpage&hl=en

It is reported on bottom right of page 2/16, Boston Evening Transcript

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭hjr

chasm wrote: »
    http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=sArNgO4T4MoC&dat=19100519&printsec=frontpage&hl=en

It is reported on bottom right of page 2/16, Boston Evening Transcript

Chasm, thanks so much for that, its great to get the newspaper version of events. Brilliant work!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭montgo

Hi,
    I am also searching for details on the accidental death of Patrick Blackburn who died 7 August, 1900 in Boston. I found part of an article on the Boston Globe here
    Just hoping to find a free article if possible. I looked up Boston Evening Transcript above for Aug 8. Is there a search facility? Probably I have to go through each page.
    Thanks for help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55 ✭✭tanoralover

montgo wrote: »
    Hi,
    I am also searching for details on the accidental death of Patrick Blackburn who died 7 August, 1900 in Boston. I found part of an article on the Boston Globe here
    Just hoping to find a free article if possible. I looked up Boston Evening Transcript above for Aug 8. Is there a search facility? Probably I have to go through each page.
    Thanks for help.

Here is the Boston Globe article.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭montgo

Here is the Boston Globe article.

That is super. Much appreciated.

Advertisement