Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I get a dog

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭irishgirl19

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    You should. Any pup that has received treatment from the vet will have been given a card with stickers on it to prove such. However, if someone has just mailed you off boards telling you they are selling mongrel puppies, I would beware. They should have been wormed a few times already, so if the owner hasn't mentioned this to you, they likely have not done it. If you are not objectionable to a shelter puppy, I think you are best going this route - it is the only plausible
    way for you to get a healthy puppy who has proof of being seen by a vet. Where are you based?

Hi shasha
    Im in dublin 7. This other puppy owner is now saying there is no card as her husbands friend got the injections done hmmm..
    My friends mam sais the vet will refuse to do the 2nd ones without proof that the first ones were done.
    The puppy will be 8 weeks in 2 days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Hi shasha
    Im in dublin 7. This other puppy owner is now saying there is no card as her husbands friend got the injections done hmmm..
    My friends mam sais the vet will refuse to do the 2nd ones without proof that the first ones were done.

A good vet likely will. Regardless of whether or not the vet will give your puppy a second set of injections, this owner is trying to pawn off a puppy on you. If they cared about their puppies, they would get them vaccinated personally, not send their husband's friend to a vet to get it done. They're having you on.

There are simply RAKES of shelters close by you that you could get a vaccinated puppy from, please follow your instincts in this case - it's obvious they are simply trying to sell you a puppy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Hi shasha

If they have no card then it's dodgy. You'd have to start the innoculations over as there's no proof they had them.

Seriously; go to a rescue and tell them you would like to adopt a puppy. For less money than going to a breeder, who may be unethical, you will get a pup that is fit, healthy, wormed, vaccinated, and it will come with a voucher toward the cost of neutering. There is really no reason not to do this except if you know that they would turn you down, in which case you should re-evaluate whether or not your situation is suitable for a dog.

kylith wrote: »
    If they have no card then it's dodgy. You'd have to start the innoculations over as there's no proof they had them.

Seriously; go to a rescue and tell them you would like to adopt a puppy. For less money than going to a breeder, who may be unethical, you will get a pup that is fit, healthy, wormed, vaccinated, and it will come with a voucher toward the cost of neutering. There is really no reason not to do this except if you know that they would turn you down, in which case you should re-evaluate whether or not your situation is suitable for a dog.

I would like to adopt but i am having a hard time trying to find a sanctuary with puppies available. I wouls prefer a puppy to train her myself and I would know her history. I dont drive so anywhere outside of Dublin is awkward

I would like to adopt but i am having a hard time trying to find a sanctuary with puppies available. I wouls prefer a puppy to train her myself and I would know her history. I dont drive so anywhere outside of Dublin is awkward

Getting a puppy at 8 weeks+ means that there is still going to be 8 weeks of unaccountable history there. You can only take someone's word for it. However, if you buy from a reputable and ethical breeder, or adopt from a shelter, you can at least be sure of the medical history. Buying a cross breed puppy from a stranger, you can never be sure of the medical or emotional history. I should also point out that many shelters have transport volunteers. So if you met the criteria, a lot of people would be willing to travel to get a puppy a home.

• Advertisement

Yeah im thinking of going to Ashtown pound tomorrow i think theyre open on saturdays for a while. Tried to get through to see have they any puppys but think they are closed

Yeah im thinking of going to Ashtown pound tomorrow i think theyre open on saturdays for a while. Tried to get through to see have they any puppys but think they are closed

From what I can see on their Facebook page, they have a few puppies there, and nearly all of them JRTs :P

From what I can see on their Facebook page, they have a few puppies there, and nearly all of them JRTs :P

Yeah I just seen a picture of a lovely puppy I hope he or she is still there.probably got snapped up though id say

Yeah I just seen a picture of a lovely puppy I hope he or she is still there.probably got snapped up though id say

Is it an absolutely tiny little angel and the picture was uploaded about 22 hours ago? :P

If it is, I demand pictures if you get lucky :D

Is it an absolutely tiny little angel and the picture was uploaded about 22 hours ago? :P

If it is, I demand pictures if you get lucky :D

Yeah thats him alright!But there is already loads of comments with people asking for him already !

• Advertisement

Yeah thats him alright!But there is already loads of comments with people asking for him already !

First come first served :P

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Kukey

As far as I know Ashton don't rehome pups to the public,they are sent off to Rescues to be rehomed from there,so home checks etc can be done.Adult dogs
    will be rehomed (except RB) and they now charge about €150? as dogs are now chipped,spayed/ neutered,vaxed and get a dog licence.
    They used to charge about €65 for a dog and you just got a licence with that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 279 ✭✭thomur

Hi Irishgirl, dont worry about the people asking for him on the Facebook page. You will have to go to the pound, take him for a small walk around the yard and then express your interest. You then wait around a week and if he hasnt been claimed youre in. I got a lovely yorkie/bigger dog mongrel there in Feb and have to say the staff there really love their dogs. Be prepared to pay over 100 as you will have to get dog licence/microchipping/spaying etc if they are not already done.
    I also live in Dublin 7 in a terrace with a small back yard but the Phoenix park/bogies/ Royal canal etc are all 10 min away.

Hi everyone. I ended up getting the jack cross chihuahua in the end on friday night because when I cancelled the sale with the owner she said she would drop the price to accomadate for the needles.
    Anyways she drove down to me and I met her nearby. It was quiet breezy so when she handed the puppy who was tiny I gave it a quick look at wrapped it up under my jacket.

Low and behold. My bitch puppy is a MALE puppy. It has a little willy. I am so confused now because I thought he was a girl for 2 days lol but I already love him at this stage.
    But the person who sold the dog diliberately misled me...everything was she and her...even when I was walking away she said now make sure you look after her.

I'm dissapointed but I still love lil marley(just aswell I didn't give it a different name) i'm not gonna bother getting onto the breeder because I still want to keep the dog and they're probably thinking the feckin eejit is only copping on now and laughing. I'm going to have to get a blue lead now.
    Anyways I just thought id share and give you's a laugh. Thanks everyone for all your advice ( I should've listened but I was too excited to get a dog quick)

Hi everyone. I ended up getting the jack cross chihuahua in the end on friday night because when I cancelled the sale with the owner she said she would drop the price to accomadate for the needles.
    Anyways she drove down to me and I met her nearby. It was quiet breezy so when she handed the puppy who was tiny I gave it a quick look at wrapped it up under my jacket.

Low and behold. My bitch puppy is a MALE puppy. It has a little willy. I am so confused now because I thought he was a girl for 2 days lol but I already love him at this stage.
    But the person who sold the dog diliberately misled me...everything was she and her...even when I was walking away she said now make sure you look after her.

I'm dissapointed but I still love lil marley(just aswell I didn't give it a different name) i'm not gonna bother getting onto the breeder because I still want to keep the dog and they're probably thinking the feckin eejit is only copping on now and laughing. I'm going to have to get a blue lead now.
    Anyways I just thought id share and give you's a laugh. Thanks everyone for all your advice ( I should've listened but I was too excited to get a dog quick)

The fact that she drove to meet you is an awful enough sign as it is. Any reputable breeder would actually want you to meet the parents, pure-bred or otherwise. The lie about the sex and "dropping" the price is also a sign that this person is in fact a back-yard breeder. Hopefully you don't also find out in the next few weeks that the puppy suffers from hereditary conditions that they have decided not to disclose with you.

And hopefully we don't hear of someone else looking to buy one of these mongrel puppies off the same person when her bitch goes into heat again.
    :(

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Cocolola

:( Oh I wish you hadn't done that OP. It sounds all kinds of wrong. Did you read through the "before you buy a puppy" sticky at all?

Anyway, all you can do now is look after it. He will need to be taken to the vet asap to start his vaccinations (by rights he shouldn't be out already without them) get wormed, microchipped and have a general health check up.

Did the "breeder" give you some of the food he's currently eating or tell you what he's eating?

Well I was supposed to go up to the house and see the parents but my lift fell through so I just took her at her word when we arranged to meet...bad idea. In hindsight I remember suggesting the following morning and she was like oh ill be away.
    The dog seems healthy enough he is waddling around and playing. I think it could have fleas though as he was scratching a bit and keeps nibbling his paws but I cant find anything when I go through his coat.
    I'm bringing him to the blue cross on Wednesday to get his needles and get him looked over.
    I really hope he is ok and healthy and not inbred or anything because ill be devestated if anything happens to him. He thinks i'm his mammy lol

Cocolola wrote: »
    :( Oh I wish you hadn't done that OP. It sounds all kinds of wrong. Did you read through the "before you buy a puppy" sticky at all?

Anyway, all you can do now is look after it. He will need to be taken to the vet asap to start his vaccinations (by rights he shouldn't be out already without them) get wormed, microchipped and have a general health check up.

Did the "breeder" give you some of the food he's currently eating or tell you what he's eating?

Hi cocacola.
    No I didn't read it i'm sorry now though.
    She said the dog was on aldi pouches.
    I bought dry food on the recommedation of my friend..she said her vet said its much better, but the pup wouldn't go near it. He start licking it and I thought it might be too hard but even with warm milk over it he was turning his nose up and only took 2 mouthfuls so I got the pedigree puppy sachets with the intention to wean him off gradually and introduce a bit more dry food into it each time hes fed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭zef

OP, I am annoyed that this woman lied to you (re: sex of dog)and manipulated you.
    If it were me i'd bring the pup back, you didn't get much choice, seems the pup was foisted onto you.
    Personally I wouldn't even believe it's the breed she said it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭mentalist101

Hi cocacola.
    I bought dry food on the recommedation of my friend..she said her vet said its much better, but the pup wouldn't go near it. He start licking it and I thought it might be too hard but even with warm milk over it he was turning his nose up and only took 2 mouthfuls so I got the pedigree puppy sachets with the intention to wean him off gradually and introduce a bit more dry food into it each time hes fed.

OP are you able to get some more of the Aldi pouches? Then you can slowly mix and introduce the other brand of food for your dog to make it easier for him.

• Advertisement

OP are you able to get some more of the Aldi pouches? Then you can slowly mix and introduce the other brand of food for your dog to make it easier for him.

I went down to Aldi yesterday and the only pouches they had were for adult dogs and another was over 7 months so I was afraid they wouldn't be suitable

Hi cocacola.

I would definitely not feed him Pedigree pouches, or Aldi for that matter. Pure rubbish. And milk isn't good for dogs - use water instead.

I hate to say this, because it is said so often here, but you really should have done your research before getting a puppy.

zef wrote: »
    OP, I am annoyed that this woman lied to you (re: sex of dog)and manipulated you.
    If it were me i'd bring the pup back, you didn't get much choice, seems the pup was foisted onto you.
    Personally I wouldn't even believe it's the breed she said it was.
    Yeah I am annoyed too. I don't think I will bother ringing because if she done this already I imagine I will just be told to feck off if I called to complain.
    Im going to check if her add is online and if it is ill report it.But id say all the pups have gone.
    Ill try post pictures off her when im on the laptop. He looks more like a jack but sometimes I think his face is like a chihauhau but I wouldnt be surprised.

I went down to Aldi yesterday and the only pouches they had were for adult dogs and another was over 7 months so I was afraid they wouldn't be suitable

Has he been able to eat anything at all? You might need to take him to the vet asap if he has not eaten in over 24 hours

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

They wouldn't be, puppies need more protein than adults and adults sometimes have skin problems on a high protein diet. It probably wouldn't be a problem for a one off if you were stuck.
    If you soften the dry food with water rather than milk it might work better.

Has he been able to eat anything at all? You might need to take him to the vet asap if he has not eaten in over 24 hours

Yeah he has he wouldnt go near the dry food so I got a bit worried and said id try the wet food before calling the vet and he was wolfing those but I want to get him off the wet food soon.

Yeah he has he wouldnt go near the dry food so I got a bit worried and said id try the wet food before calling the vet and he was wolfing those but I want to get him off the wet food soon.

That's good as long as he is eating then you can wait until your appointment with the blue cross. Watch his poo and if it is runny then head down to the vet as quickly as possible.

This is the little guy :)

He is adorable :D

Hope he doesn't have anything wrong with him cos that would be really sad

• Advertisement

He is adorable :D

Hope he doesn't have anything wrong with him cos that would be really sad

I hope so :( I'll see what the vet says anyway. I've reported the ad on done deal so hopefully its taken down so others don't get stung.

Advertisement