Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roebuck Castle Accommodation

Options
  • 27-06-2013 3:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭

Hey :)
    If anyone here has stayed in Roebuck castle before could ye tell me what ye thought of it compared to the other accommodations, if it was worth paying for, what the food was like and if it was mostly postgrads/international students. Generally I suppose would you recommend it?
    Also, if i wanted to transfer, would demand for a place there be high? If I was willing to swap with anywhere else on campus?
    Thanks so much :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 xoxo28

Hey! First of all re transfers you can only transfer from catered to catered. so basically people in roebuck castle can only transfer to muckross catered and vice versa. Not sure why exactly but something to do with a fixed catering contract. the accommodation office confirmed this with me today so its definitely true unfortunately!

with regards to what roebuck is like .... i lived there last year and liked it. there's always 2 choices at the dinner (usually fish or meat) so there was only a few times where i didnt like either and im a fussy enough eater :P also the meals vary alot and only repeat every 3 weeks or so . last year there was an aparttment full of internationals and another pretty much full of singaporean med students... then there were the odd internationals scattered in different apartments. there werent tooooo many post grads ... 2 in my aparttment out of 12. absolutely tons of ad astra people either sports or acadmic scholars. like 6 in my apartment i think. it can be quiet enough in roebuck castle though maybe that was just my apartment but there wasnt much parties or anything ... everyone just kind of did their own thing. weekends were extremely quiet there. this didnt bother me i didnt really want to be in a loud place anyways.
    Roebuck is very expensive though thats for sure .... a good few people who were living there were only there because it's all they were offered. you do have to question whether you are prepared to pay nearly 9 thousand euro for accommodation. whether or not it's worth it seems to depend on the person ... personallly i thought it was for me but all my friends thought it was wayyy overpriced !! i was willing to pay extra for nicer carpets and curtains and a nice ensuite but i know alot of students wouldnt be! :P

I was reeeeally hoping for a spot there this year but was only offered muckros and put down a deposit so if you do feel like saving 2000e just to be a tiny bit further away from campus ( and not have fancy curtains and carpets ) give me a shout i'd be absolutely thrilled to swap!!! :P

hope this helps some bit!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement