Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fat PS3

Options
  • 27-06-2013 4:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭

Sold me slim over a year ago use my PC for gaming, but there's so many titles that aren't on it. I was thinking of buying a Fat PS3, does anyone know if this would play PS1 and PS2 games as well. I'm torn between this and getting a PS4 and getting the old games on the PSN.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Only the old 60gb launch model played ps2 discs iirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Marsden

Idleater wrote: »
    Only the old 60gb launch model played ps2 discs iirc.
    You mean the 40gb or 80gb won't? I assume it plays the PS1 games too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

40gb or 80gb plays ps1 games/. Only 60gb plays both.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

All PS3 will play PS1 games. Only the phat 60s can play PS2 on disc. But they can all play PS2 games that you can download from PSN strangely enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,814 ✭✭✭phill106

Wonder is there much value in my fat ps3 :) still working away happily just with a larger hdd

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Marsden

Is that a hint phil?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

phill106 wrote: »
    Wonder is there much value in my fat ps3 :) still working away happily just with a larger hdd

3 years ago maybe.

If it was a phat 20,40 or 80, no. If it was a 60 then yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Not really unfortunately because they're so prone to the YLOD.

Not really unfortunately because they're so prone to the YLOD.

They are easy to fix if that happens. Plus if you have some PS2 games you like to play the odd time like me then yeah. I can't find a decent working PS2 for a sane price anywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

If it was a phat 20,40 or 80, no. If it was a 60 then yes.

*gives his 60gb version ps3 with 500gb hdd a big hug then says: "I will never let you go, love".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

They are easy to fix if that happens

No they're not, you could get lucky with some diy method but by & large those ridiculous methods of 'fixing' ylods & rrods cause far more damage than anythign else, & often ruin chances of a proper long term fix.

Professional grade reball & reflow equipment is very expensive for a reason.

I always assumed YLODs were handy to fix. Didn't think they were that big of a job. Suppose I'm very lucky not to have had one so. Can't say the same for RRODs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,814 ✭✭✭phill106

Its a fat 60, all the lovely usb ports, wifi and backwards connectivity. Ill be keeping it though till at least ps4 comes out. Maybe forever, my faithful friend!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I always assumed YLODs were handy to fix. Didn't think they were that big of a job. Suppose I'm very lucky not to have had one so. Can't say the same for RRODs.

Well the YLOD, like the RROD just means the console has a problem & cannot be used. The actual cause of the fault can differ, but in general, a YLOD on a PS3 means it needs s professionally done reflow, or a reball for a more permanent solution. Taking a hairdryer to it, or sticking it in an oven, might get you enough time to salvage game saves if you're lucky, but in doing so, 90% of the time it warps the mainboard meaning a reflow or reball is no longer an option

Advertisement