Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pro Life Muck hanging on poles in town.

Options
  • 27-06-2013 5:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭

Anyone else seen these posters?

"abortion dosent stop suicide" etc..

I spotted one at the Rapid Express office on a pole last night when i got off the bus... Ive a good mind to go take them down..

Any more around town?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Not just in Waterford either, Seen them on the N71 out of Cork..I wonder do they hire a company to install them or do their own supporters put them up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

In Limerick too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

They are all over Dublin. Its disgusting that tourist have to look at this propaganda. I have no issue with these nut jobs doing a few press releases. But covering all the lamp poles across Ireland is such a waste of money. Who is even funding these people?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

hfallada wrote: »
    Who is even funding these people?

I've heard on Matt Cooper months ago that a lot of it was financed by US of A Christian fundamentalists.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭0rt

probably the church..
    but that wont last long, we are all pagans by their view anyways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,289 ✭✭✭✭endacl

If I'm out walking and I see somebody else's rubbish left lying around, I consider it a civic duty to dispose of it properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Gadgie

Are these signs/posters legal?

ill ask in the legal section.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

I'd urge caution, they've threatened to kill people over this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

So people don't agree with others point of view and therefore accuse them of proganda and spreading muck?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,180 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

AFAIK it's littering and can be reported.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Finnbar01 wrote: »
    So people don't agree with others point of view and therefore accuse them of proganda and spreading muck?

Whatever your view on abortion, putting a billboard right outside the national rape centre saying "the abortion bill won't make women safer" is extremely tasteless. It also doesn't help their case with their use of incorrect facts on posters.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

There's points of view and then there's muck and propaganda masquerading as facts and choices.

Only when they're spreading muck. In which case its not so much an accusation as a statement. The propaganda bit is ok. You're spot-on there.

;)

old hippy wrote: »
    There's points of view and then there's muck and propaganda masquerading as facts and choices.

I see, so what you don't agree with it, it's muck and propaganda but what you do agree with, then it's facts and choices???

I see, so what you don't agree with is muck and propaganda but what you do agree with, then it's facts and choices???

Nah. If its something factual and reasonable, I'm generally happy to just not agree with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭jimmy5694

agreed

I see, so what you don't agree with it, it's muck and propaganda but what you do agree with, then it's facts and choices???

I agree with facts and choices, yes. Not muck and propaganda. Can't make it any simpler.

Whatever your view on abortion, putting a billboard right outside the national rape centre saying "the abortion bill won't make women safer" is extremely tasteless. It also doesn't help their case with their use of incorrect facts on posters.

The OP mentioned the Rapid Express office .

• Advertisement

The OP mentioned the Rapid Express office .

Could posters please confine their discussion to this one pole please. Is that what you mean?

I agree with facts and choices, yes. Not muck and propaganda. Can't make it any simpler.

Providing those facts and choices are ones you agree with, those that don't need to silenced, is it?

That's not how I'd have interpreted the statement, but how and ever...

endacl wrote: »
    Could posters please confine their discussion to this one pole please. Is that what you mean?

THE OP mentioned Rapid Express that's all I was pointing out, nothing was said about posters outside rape crisis centres.

Providing those facts and choices are ones you agree with, those that don't need to silenced, is it?

Lies, scaremongering and misogyny should be kept in people's heads rather than nailed to posts, that is correct.

THE OP mentioned Rapid Express that's all I was pointing out, nothing was said about posters outside rape crisis centres.

So it's ok to expand and allow the discussion to develop? Nice one...

OP gave a 'for example'.

Lies, scaremongering and misogyny should be kept in people's heads rather than nailed to posts, that is correct.

So you've decided to be some sort of censor and only allow certain facts and choices to enter peoples' heads?

I disagree. It should be expressed, challenged, and dismissed.

endacl wrote: »
    So it's ok to expand and allow the discussion to develop? Nice one...

OP gave a 'for example'.

Expand all away you want.

My point is this. Because there are certain things in life we see and hear about which causes us anger or great hurt or disgust, doesn't mean we can make it go away or silence those who cause it.

Some people here don't like the pro-life posters and want to pull them down. I say no, leave them up.

• Advertisement

So you've decided to be some sort of censor and only allow those facts and choices to enter peoples' heads?

Well, when some of the pro-life forums out there stop censoring pro-choice views, I may soften my extremist views on this.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement