Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pro Life Muck hanging on poles in town.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

The "pro-life" spouting lies and littering again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

endacl wrote: »
    I disagree. It should be expressed, challenged, and dismissed.

Normally I'd agree. But Joe Pro Life doesn't want to hear any other view but his or her own. They don't like being challenged.

So, after years of bashing my head off a brick wall - I'm finally contemplating direct action. A tidy towns competition, or something :D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,289 ✭✭✭✭endacl

old hippy wrote: »
    Normally I'd agree. But Joe Pro Life doesn't want to hear any other view but his or her own. They don't like being challenged.

So, after years of bashing my head off a brick wall - I'm finally contemplating direct action. A tidy towns competition, or something :D

Agreed. I'm kinda done trying to speak rationally to nutters. I'll do a poster a day. We all have to do our little bit.

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭albert kidd

be more in people's line to take "direct action" against the animals in the dail who have ripped the pee out of us for so long.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭0rt

Too long have Youth Defence gotten away with their lies, manipulation and deplorable behaviour.
    My daughter dosent need to see an aborted foetus on some stall in the middle of town when they are about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

Well, when some of the pro-life forums out there stop censoring pro-choice views, I may soften my extremist views on this.

Pro-life forums can do all the censorship they want, just like you can set up you own pro-choice forum and censor any pro-life comments that you don't like.

0rt wrote: »
    Too long have Youth Defence gotten away with their lies, manipulation and deplorable behaviour.
    My daughter dosent need to see an aborted foetus on some stall in the middle of town when they are about.

Not just your daughter. I don't need to see it.

Of course it looks unpleasant. It's a medical procedure. Nobody objects to appendectomies for example. I'm equally sure nobody would be too keen on seeing pictures of an excised appendix all over town.

To say nothing of the provenance and accuracy of the pictures youth (no) defence are wont to use...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Am Chile

As I posted last night- they have one of their posters opposite john halliagans house.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=85269061&postcount=122

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

Not just your daughter. I don't need to see it.

Of course it looks unpleasant. It's a medical procedure. Nobody objects to appendectomies for example. I'm equally sure nobody would be too keen on seeing pictures of an excised appendix all over town.

To say nothing of the provenance and accuracy of the pictures youth (no) defence are wont to use...

Not really sure how you can compare a foetus to an appendix...

O Riain wrote: »
    Not really sure how you can compare a foetus to an appendix...

I didn't. The posters are used because the images are unpleasant. Any picture of the immediate results of a medical procedure will tend to be unpleasant. I offered the appendix as a facetious 'for example'.

• Advertisement

Well, im pissed off about these people putting posters around town, subjecting me to it and my 4 year old daughter looking at the poster fearful.

Abortion is a choice in my eyes.
    Cant get it here? if you can afford it your more likely to go abroad.

I wouldnt go targeting companys that are paid to put up posters.. at least they are still in employment.

But i do think that these posters / leaflets / youtube ads / stalls etc should be toned down.. i mean, your not even allowed advertise alcohol or cigarettes in this day and age..

I would very much like for them to be taken down.

So take one down. That'd be three per day based on this thread alone!

http://www.thejournal.ie/admobile-company-drops-youth-defence-after-rape-crisis-incident-969637-Jun2013/?utm_source=shortlink

"AN ADVERTISING COMPANY has discontinued their contract with Youth Defence after an anti-abortion billboard was seen parked opposite the Dublin Rape Crisis centre."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

Well, when some of the pro-life forums out there stop censoring pro-choice views, I may soften my extremist views on this.

I bet the reverse also happens. The internet is not public property.

As for these flyers, I grew up with leftist nonsense from bug eyed Marxists largely dominating the placard and billboard market. I would agree to ban them all except in designated areas, and maybe elections. But thats it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

It also goes on to say that it was a error by the driver in his contractual agreement to prove he drove the route they paid for, and didn't realise where he had parked (i'd imagine, but don't know, that the centre is discreet). Can someone say how long the truck was parked there for?

Anyway, i'm against these campaigners, because all too often they shun the law and display images which are contrary to law (specifically, the display of offensive material). Add to that the aggressive campaigning (read: harassing) and they will win no votes.

it was either an error on the drivers part.. or it was a smart move on a pro choicer's part :)
    Look at the backlash!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

Blah blah blah up to my tits with this and all the other so called abortion debates, which is an oxymoron in itself, it is not possible to have a reasoned discussion on this subject , here or anywhere else in the world cos the wingnuts jump in and it ends up a screaming match.
    Enough already .

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭seanaway

Beware becoming the thought police. As the man said: I may not agree with what you say but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

Pro-life or not, EVERYONE has a right to speak, protest, and demonstrate. If you don't like the posters, make some of your own. The day people start tearing down free speech, we're all in trouble.

Tearing down propaganda is a fairly clear statement too....?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Dan133269

I'd urge caution, they've threatened to kill people over this.

"They" have already killed numerous people over abortion!
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-abortion_violence#Murders

• Advertisement

Ive a problem with the content of their posters and how they go about it..
    If they were in charge of pedophilia posters they would probably try justify using a poor kid being fiddled with just for the poster.

They dont need to use the imagery they do..
    I dont need to see it.
    Everyone is entitled to their own say of course.. and that same argument is put to the prolifers.. Everyone can make up their own mind about if they want to have a child or not.
    A womans choice is her own.. Her life is her own.. she decides how it is lived.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

0rt wrote: »

won't someone think of.....?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

So it's still not clear whether these posters are legal? I wonder who to contact in the council to get an answer about that...

nkay1985 wrote: »
    So it's still not clear whether these posters are legal? I wonder who to contact in the council to get an answer about that...

Question asked and answered over on legal. Link is back up the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

If I'm out walking and I see somebody else's rubbish left lying around, I consider it a civic duty to dispose of it properly.

You must be kept busy so :rolleyes:

Sam Kade wrote: »
    You must be kept busy so :rolleyes:

I do like to keep occupied.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Question asked and answered over on legal. Link is back up the thread.

Nah I read that thread. They said they weren't sure and to check with the local council.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

nkay1985 wrote: »
    Nah I read that thread. They said they weren't sure and to check with the local council.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=85270014&postcount=124

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Am Chile

Reading over a good few posts on this thread- I completely disagree with the idea of taking posters on the grounds they are seen as offensive- in life no one has the right not to offended we all hear or may see something from time to time that may cause offence- if to go down the road of taking posters because of offensive images or ban them etc is limiting free speech-if liberty is to mean anything it always means the right to tell people what they dont want to hear- when it comes to free speech I have a an pro unfettered free speech political position-incase someone might ask if I am pro choice or pro life- I am neither I have a middle ground position on the abortion issue.

• Advertisement

Am Chile wrote: »
    Reading over a good few posts on this thread- I completely disagree with the idea of taking posters on the grounds they are seen as offensive- in life no one has the right not to offended we all hear or may see something from time to time that may cause offence- if to go down the road of taking posters because of offensive images or ban them etc is limiting free speech-if liberty is to mean anything it always means the right to tell people what they dont want to hear- when it comes to free speech I have a an pro unfettered free speech political position-incase someone might ask if I am pro choice or pro life- I am neither I have a middle ground position on the abortion issue.

While I broadly agree with you, don't you find it odd that for many on the youth defence end of the spectrum for instance, your middle ground position puts you firmly in the 'pro abortion' camp, which of course only exists in their groupmind..? It's not so much the issue itself that would concern me, although it most certainly does, as the fundamental and absolutist position, with which there can be no meaningful conversation.

I really wouldn't take down a poster advocating a position on any other issue. Well.... Maybe chemtrails and lizard people. Those CT'ers need help!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement