Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pro Life Muck hanging on poles in town.

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Am Chile

endacl wrote: »
    While I broadly agree with you, don't you find it odd that for many on the youth defence end of the spectrum for instance, your middle ground position puts you firmly in the 'pro abortion' camp, which of course only exists in their groupmind..? It's not so much the issue itself that would concern me, although it most certainly does, as the fundamental and absolutist position, with which there can be no meaningful conversation.

I really wouldn't take down a poster advocating a position on any other issue. Well.... Maybe chemtrails and lizard people. Those CT'ers need help!

I class myself in neither camp-as Im not against abortion in all circumstances like youth defence are- and I am not for abortion on demand either like the pro choice camp are- in my view I think abortion should be allowed in cases of incest/cases or rape or if the mothers life is in danger-that is where I draw the line- Im not in favour of liberal abortion on demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭0rt

to quote banksy..

"Any advert in a public space that gives you no choice whether you see it or not is yours. It’s yours to take, re-arrange and re-use. You can do whatever you like with it. Asking for permission is like asking to keep a rock someone just threw at your head."

http://rabble.ie/2013/06/27/youth-defence-flaunts-dcc-rules/
    "Youth Defence is breaking by-laws to continue their anti-choice poster campaign."

http://www.waterfordcoco.ie/en/services/environment/litter/litterthelaw/
    Bill & Leaflet Posting

The placing of advertising leaflets on car windscreens is prohibited. The law also forbids the putting up of posters/signs on poles or on other structures in public places unless you have the written permission of the owner. Please contact the Litter Control Office for details.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 shikaakwa312

If Ireland is becoming pro life that is just scary. There is pretty much no hope for the rest of the world then. Progressives are always shouting "muck, propanganda, bigot, uneducated" etc. as if they are smarter but they are really just sheep of the media. I am agnostic and I am still pro-life, why would you support the execution of an innocent human who has literally done nothing?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,289 ✭✭✭✭endacl

If Ireland is becoming pro life that is just scary. There is pretty much no hope for the rest of the world then. Progressives are always shouting "muck, propanganda, bigot, uneducated" etc. as if they are smarter but they are really just sheep of the media. I am agnostic and I am still pro-life, why would you support the execution of an innocent human who has literally done nothing?

If you mean everything after your first sentence, you might want to go back and edit your first sentence.

;)

• Advertisement

Not sure what you are referring to to be quite honest.

Ah I see yes my bad I havent slept in 50 hours, midterms. You know what I meant i think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Am Chile

Id be similar-Im not the slightest bit religious- I do have a middle ground position on abortion as I layed out in another post-I am opposed to liberal abortion on demand and Im still agnostic- opposition to abortion on demand isnt just limited to ring wing religious groups- some can be agnostic and still take an opposing position to abortion on demand.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=85284306&postcount=62

Right there with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Had to block a friends posts on FB because all he was posting was rubbish from youth defense. And have seem some of the posters up here in Donegal - think they are ridiculous looking and make the place look terrible for tourists.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

FanadMan wrote: »
    Had to block a friends posts on FB because all he was posting was rubbish from youth defense. And have seem some of the posters up here in Donegal - think they are ridiculous looking and make the place look terrible for tourists.

I saw a couple of aul lads up a pole putting up one of these posters.
    You know the type.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

seanaway wrote: »
    Beware becoming the thought police. As the man said: I may not agree with what you say but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

Pro-life or not, EVERYONE has a right to speak, protest, and demonstrate. If you don't like the posters, make some of your own. The day people start tearing down free speech, we're all in trouble.

So you want to increase the crap on our poles?
    The posters should require a permit the same as any advertisement, if they don't have one then they should be removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭deisemum

The posters are in breach of the litter by-laws and the city council are taking them down and would appreciate people reporting any signs that are still up.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

deisemum wrote: »
    The posters are in breach of the litter by-laws and the city council are taking them down and would appreciate people reporting any signs that are still up.

Confirmed with the litter warden?
    If so happy days,

Curious, given the anti-abortion crowd feel its so important to be right about things, will they own up to putting up these posters and allow themselves to be fined?

I'm thinking no,

Cabaal wrote: »
    Confirmed with the litter warden?
    If so happy days,

Curious, given the anti-abortion crowd feel its so important to be right about things, will they own up to putting up these posters and allow themselves to be fined?

I'm thinking no,

Yes, I've been on to the litter warden just before 10am this morning, permission was not given for the posters and the council are taking down the litter and would appreciate being informed of any posters still up or put up after they've been removed.

The fine is €150 per poster.

I doubt they will get the fine.. politicians hardly ever get fined for having them up too early..

I was passed this link, it goes into detail about prolife and where they get their funding.

"....American, tax-exempt organization... [whose] purpose is to help make sure Ireland remains pro-life and abortion-free – and make it easier for Americans to support Ireland's pro-life success story"

http://geoffsshorts.blogspot.ie/2012/09/youth-defence-money-shot.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Brick Session

I saw the litter warden taking notes on them along Parnell Street at about 10.45 this morning.

http://www.broadsheet.ie/2013/05/18/busted-16/

Pro Lifer looking like Hector pulling down Action on X rally posters.

Action on X : "Government's X case legislation criminalises and restricts abortion access. We want accessible legislation now"
    https://www.facebook.com/events/186250328195304/

So its pretty safe to say they are playing dirty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

it is unlawful to put them on posts unless they have permission

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Personally, I wouldn't. But a clump of cells isn't a human.

O Riain wrote: »
    Not really sure how you can compare a foetus to an appendix...

Both are superflous. They perform no function.

old hippy wrote: »
    Personally, I wouldn't. But a clump of cells isn't a human.

im sure they would have a mole or a cancer tumour cut out though :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

Lot of posters here going on about how the pro-lifers have absolutely no time for any other point of view yet then disregard anyone else's point of view themselves. It's actually hilarious.

well.. that i never stated.. Ive only given out about the content of the posters.
    But show me where they do have any other point of view and i will accept it.

O Riain wrote: »
    Lot of posters here going on about how the pro-lifers have absolutely no time for any other point of view yet then disregard anyone else's point of view themselves. It's actually hilarious.

If only laughter could solve the problems of the world.

I've been listening to pro-lifers for decades and it's always the same argument.

I've sat mute, in shocked horror at the murders of doctors and bombings of clinics in the US. I've see how the patriarchy treated women throughout the years. The shocking Kerry babies case. The venom and hectoring that comes from the fundamentalists even unto this day.

It's no laughing matter. IMHO, they are not pro-life. They are merely another Taliban, seeking to impose their patriarchal and religious views on women.

They shall not win.

it is unlawful to put them on posts unless they have permission

They didn't get permission.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭fuzzy dunlop

old hippy wrote: »
    Both are superflous. They perform no function.

A foetus performs no fuction:D Now look who is spreading muck and propaganda!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

You can discuss pro-life in the politics forum, thread closed.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement