Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it safe to use this charger?

Options
  • 27-06-2013 5:17pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 77 ✭✭

Flatmate and myself have different laptops (Acer and Packard Bell) but the chargers work on either. They're not identical however - the output on the newer Acer is 19V/65W while on the older PB one it is 19V/19W.

Is there any risk in using them interchangeably? I might have thought the 65W might fry the older laptop but it's been working fine (battery is already fairly goosed on it anyway) and the 19W powers the newer laptop fine too.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭eirator

Dumb idea, the laptop that came with a 65W PSU could overload as 19W PSU and blow it. Other way around its fine a laptop that needs 19W will only draw 19W even if the PSU is rated at 100W.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 77 ✭✭NoPasaran

That's what I thought - we haven't been intentionally sharing them it's just they look so similar it happens. But as I said there haven't been an problems so far..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

So long as the Voltage is correct and the connector fits with the right polarity (which it obviously is seeing as it's working) then you should be fine. The laptops only draw the power they require.

Ken

ZENER wrote: »
    So long as the Voltage is correct and the connector fits with the right polarity (which it obviously is seeing as it's working) then you should be fine. The laptops only draw the power they require.

Ken

But the point is you can't get 65W out of a 19W charger and trying to could burn out the 19W charger.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

eirator wrote: »
    But the point is you can't get 65W out of a 19W charger and trying to could burn out the 19W charger.

Apologies, of course you are correct. Was reading it as the OP was using the 65W unit on the 19W laptop. If the charger is anyway modern though it will have current sensing which will protect it, but probably not a good idea to rely on it.

Sorry OP.

Ken

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,928 ✭✭✭whizbang

There's no laptop in the world that will run and charge battery on 19W. Maybe its 90W?

whizbang wrote: »
    There's no laptop in the world that will run and charge battery on 19W. Maybe its 90W?

Possibly, just checked my spares box and the smallest "charger" I have which was from a little HP Netbook (Atom CPU) is 30W. But no difference to look at in terms of size and shape to a 65W acer charger.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,313 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Whats the Amperage on these?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 77 ✭✭NoPasaran

I may have got the measurements wrong tbh, tried to memorise them and was doing other stuff in between!

I have the newer one to hand here and it says:

INPUT: 100-240V~1.5 A 50-60Hz
    OUTPUT: 19V 4.74A 90W

Will check the other one later :)

Advertisement