Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another Earthquake in the Irish Sea 2.8 magnitude

Options
  • 27-06-2013 5:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭

A 2.8 mag struck last night at 11.30 and 2 aftershocks of 2.4.
    Did anyone notice or feel anything?? i didn't

Seems to be more activity in the ground lately wonder will there be a bigger one on the cards even though they say at the bottom of report
    there wont be just more smaller ones.

Seismologists have said that a small earthquake of magnitude 2.8 was recorded in the Irish Sea last night.

The earthquake occurred at a depth of 12km at around 11:30pm, close to where another magnitude 3.8 earthquake struck on the morning of 29 May.

The Irish National Seismic Network (INSN) said the epicentre was around 2km off the Welsh coast and 97km southeast of Dublin.

Two aftershocks within three minutes followed last night's quake, measuring up to 2.4 in magnitude.

Dr Yochai Ben-Horin of the Dublin Institute for Advanced Studies (DIAS), which runs the INSN, said the tremor was felt across North Wales.

There have been no reports from the public in Ireland, but anyone who felt the tremor is asked to submit a report online.

"The earthquake was felt throughout North Wales, including Holyhead, Bangor, Menai Bridge, Blaenau Ffestiniog, Bodorgan, Pwllheli and Caernarfon," said Dr Ben-Horin.

"We have not yet received any felt reports from people living on Ireland's east coast but the quake was recorded by our network of seismic stations throughout Ireland," he added.

There has been an increase in seismic activity in the area in recent months and further minor earthquakes are likely.

However, at present there is no indication that a larger earthquake is to be expected.

00078bb4-642.jpg
    This image shows seismic traces of the main event and its first aftershock 30 seconds later

http://www.rte.ie/news/2013/0627/459247-small-earthquake-strikes-in-irish-sea/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,286 ✭✭✭emo72

man, i only checked in to see the weather. now im depressed as hell at the highly unlikely catastrophic earthquake that could wipe us all out. still, makes a break from the anglo tapes:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

emo72 wrote: »
    man, i only checked in to see the weather. now im depressed as hell at the highly unlikely catastrophic earthquake that could wipe us all out. still, makes a break from the anglo tapes:pac:

You don't get earthquakes in the Irish Sea region bigger than around 5.0-5.5. Enough to cause some ground shaking and minor structural damage in places but nothing close to catastrophic.

The biggest threat to Ireland from earthquakes would be large earthquakes, further away from us, but enough to cause a tsunami.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

WE WILL REBUILD

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

I was awake for the 4am one a few weeks ago and heard and felt it.

I didn't feel last nights one but I did notice it it seems. I got agitated thinking my brother was dragging furniture around his gaff next door at that time.

So it seems it was audible at any rate. A low rumble.

Luckily I didn't have a go at him today about nocturnal furniture rearranging :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Calibos wrote: »
    I was awake for the 4am one a few weeks ago and heard and felt it.

I didn't feel last nights one but I did notice it it seems. I got agitated thinking my brother was dragging furniture around his gaff next door at that time.

So it seems it was audible at any rate. A low rumble.

Luckily I didn't have a go at him today about nocturnal furniture rearranging :D

Look up fracking for Shale Gas in the UK west coast these are not natural earthquakes that are being felt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭jay-me

WE WILL REBUILD
    England and America maybe :pac:

Advertisement