Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Don't know what to do with my Marketing Degree

Options
  • 27-06-2013 6:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I am a recent graduate of a BA degree in Marketing, however, I do not intend to enter a career as a marketing professional or pursue further study that is solely in the area of marketing.

Thing is that I'm quite unsure of what postgrads would be suited to my degree that would let me enter a career that is not marketing orientated.

I'm currently considering doing a postgrad in Library and Information Studies in DCU, a Human Resource Management postgrad or a HDip in Business Teaching. Just wondering if anyone had any advice or is another area that I could pursue? At the end of the day, whatever postgrad I do, I want to be able to get a job out of or at least be in a good position of getting one.

Any advice or opinions would be greatly appreciated - feel very confused at the moment.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

There are lots of routes you can go. Pr, digital marketing, social media or anything in business areas. Is there any area of marketing you interested in based on modules you studied? How you get on with core and option subjects? Could use them to decide on linking up to another or different area not strictly marketing.

I would suggest looking business studies subjects that blend with marketing. Business management or statistics or bis. Hr or teaching be other avenues to look at. Library IS i dont know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭bowloforanges

doovdela wrote: »
    There are lots of routes you can go. Pr, digital marketing, social media or anything in business areas. Is there any area of marketing you interested in based on modules you studied? How you get on with core and option subjects? Could use them to decide on linking up to another or different area not strictly marketing.

I would suggest looking business studies subjects that blend with marketing. Business management or statistics or bis. Hr or teaching be other avenues to look at. Library IS i dont know.

I liked PR, my lecturer said I'd be great at it but don't think I'd like it as a career though. I loved studying consumer psychology but don't think there is too much of a correlation between that and a career.

I think I would like HR but don't know what the job market out there is like in that area. Other than that I would like to have a career in retail management also. So nothing too marketing orientated.

In relation to the Library IS course, my degree is appropriate for it and the salaries for Librarians is very good with starting salaries at 30,000 plus but it is extremely competitive/non-existent job market at the moment.

I would also like to work in administration but it is difficult to find jobs without the necessary experience and I'm unsure of what kind of further study might put me in a better position to get a admin job.

Thanks for your input, as you can see, I'm all over the place on what seems best to do!

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Viva La Gloria

Haha, graduating from my MSc in Marketing and I don't know what to do either :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭bowloforanges

Well at least I know what I don't want to do - Marketing haha!

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Polar Ice

If you don't know what you're interested in, you're probably better off working for a bit first. The experience gained from working would stand to you later if you choose to do a postgraduate course and it'll also give you more time to get a feel for what you want to do before investing in more education.

• Advertisement
Advertisement