Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

USB Folder Issue

• 27-06-2013 6:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭

i have a 16gb usb stick and i have many folders on the stick that have information on it.

i have 1 folder that has over 3 gb of info on it when i right click- properties on it , it states the 3.82gb is there but when i open it up no information is there only 1 file when i right click on this it states 0kb

i should have alot of other folder in this folder.

any suggestions, see pic attached.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Possibly a fake USB key, check it with this. Backup what you can. This will wipe the drive but your files are probably beyond repair at this point unfortunately

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭AustinByrnes

i have had the key for years without a problem

i ran a chkdsk on it and am getting the following error.

ii i hit yes does this wipe the drive or can i do something to fix my data.

i have had the key for years without a problem

i ran a chkdsk on it and am getting the following error.

ii i hit yes does this wipe the drive or can i do something to fix my data.

Chkdsk shouldn't wipe the file and it's probably your best option at this point to allow it try and fix the stick. If your only using the stick on Windows machines (no consoles/TVs etc.) format it to NTFS, less prone file system to corruption and you won't need to safely eject NTFS formatted disks either!

Nick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 772 ✭✭✭maki

yoyo wrote: »
    Chkdsk shouldn't wipe the file and it's probably your best option at this point to allow it try and fix the stick. If your only using the stick on Windows machines (no consoles/TVs etc.) format it to NTFS, less prone file system to corruption and you won't need to safely eject NTFS formatted disks either!

Nick

Since NTFS journals metadata there are no dangers of filesystem corruption, but it doesn't journal regular data. If there happens to be a file write when you pull the drive you can say goodbye to that file. So it's best practice to always safely remove, just in case.

maki wrote: »
    Since NTFS journals metadata there are no dangers of filesystem corruption, but it doesn't journal regular data. If there happens to be a file write when you pull the drive you can say goodbye to that file. So it's best practice to always safely remove, just in case.

True alright, should have made that clear :)

Nick

• Advertisement
Advertisement