Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playpens

Options
  • 27-06-2013 7:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if people still use playpens? I have a very hyper and adventurous 4 month old. He's getting to big for his bouncer and wriggles off matts on the ground into hard wooden floors. I was thinking a playpen might be good for him. Does anyone use one and what are the pros/cons?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

yellow hen wrote: »
    Just wondering if people still use playpens? I have a very hyper and adventurous 4 month old. He's getting to big for his bouncer and wriggles off matts on the ground into hard wooden floors. I was thinking a playpen might be good for him. Does anyone use one and what are the pros/cons?

Yes i did. Just a travel cot in the sitting room. I used to pop her in when i had to leave the room and it had some toys hanging over it if u get what i mean. As she got older she could sit up in it and play a little and it was handy to pop her in when she was crawling so i could nip up to the loo or pop stuff in car or bring shopping in. I used it right up until she was about 11 months when i had to really baby proof the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

I would have been lost without a playpen/ trawl cot once my little one started crawling, would definitely reccommend one.
    Also if you can manage to get baby to have naps in it, it is great for holidays.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

Also use a travel cot as a playpen for 5 month old if we need to leave the room or something. Very handy.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

We have one and I find it great to protect the youngest from the older kids when their are friends over to play.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Thanks or the replies. We were thinking of buying this playpen but just wonder if there's any reason why we couldn't use this as a travelcot too?

http://www.toys.ie/Babylo-Jungle-Pals-Playpen-!126366-prd.aspx?qwSessionID=27648362-0152-4656-b192-b572728c765b

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Yep, would have totally lost without it.. we had the Graco contour electra.. very handy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

I found with the one we have, it takes a cot mattress perfectly so we bought a €30 in Ikea and have the playroom up in the playroom now. If she's falling asleep we can lie her down up here rather than having to traipse downstairs with her. Lazy but effective :D

Hauck brand.

hauck-winnie-the-pooh-travel-cot.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭LilMrsDahamsta

Yawns wrote: »
    I found with the one we have, it takes a cot mattress perfectly so we bought a €30 in Ikea and have the playroom up in the playroom now. If she's falling asleep we can lie her down up here rather than having to traipse downstairs with her. Lazy but effective :D

Hauck brand.

hauck-winnie-the-pooh-travel-cot.jpg

They have the Hauck ones in Lidl: http://www.lidl.ie/cps/rde/xchg/SID-F83F83B1-582E8810/lidl_ri_ie/hs.xsl/index_32037.htm?offerdate=&ERR=noservice
    Takes the cot mattress better than Granny's Graco one, so a definite thumbs up.
    Also great for exhausting energetic toddlers on wet days when temporarily part-filled with a few bags of the cheap balls from Smyths. My big guy loves throwing himself around in them, and I just keep them in a black bag in a wardrobe when I need the cot back.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

wonder if there's any reason why we couldn't use this as a travelcot too?

Could it be a little short to use as a travelcot once the baby gets older and needs more length?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

iguana wrote: »
    Could it be a little short to use as a travelcot once the baby gets older and needs more length?

No it's measurements are bigger than a regular travel cot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Then it should be fine. (As long as it fits in the places you want to travel. ;) )

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭annamarie2013

When is that one in Lidl???

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭CaraMay

No it's measurements are bigger than a regular travel cot.

If you can find a mattress to fit it then it would work

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭elly123

We bought our travel cot/playpen in Smyths today. Our little fella is 16 weeks and loves to be able to kick the legs around. Does a 180 in his big cot so playpen is perfect for him now when I need to get stuff done rather than put him in swing chair or pram. He's already loving it. He has outgrown his carrycot part of pram so it's up to the attic it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭theLuggage

We use a travel cot for playpen too and its great for daytime naps and for protecting baby from the older sister. Also found a new use - my toddler wouldn't come upstairs to help put the baby to bed so after a good while of arguing, coaxing, bribing etc and her still refusing to come up with me, into the playpen she went. Perfect! Kept toddler out of mischief till I'd settled baby upstairs. She'd thrown all the toys out in a tantrum by the time I came back down, lol!

Advertisement