Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BBC Documentary on Michelin

Options
  • 27-06-2013 7:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭

I love eating out and sometimes indulge on splurging out and going for a expensive meal. Like a lot of people I would look online, read reviews and look at the Michelin guide. I came across this documentary today which gave me a new insight into the world of "fine dining". I'm sorry if it has been posted before.

A few thoughts.......
    I agree that the Michelin guides scope is too narrow. It's like that because it is impossible to regularly review any new or existing top restaurant. Their attempt to be the definitive guide is flawed. Maybe they should concentrate on certain areas instead of worldwide.

They need to be clearer on what their marking and requirements are. Ive read the guide and i find that it is as vague as possible. Yes they give the price, rating and a brief description but i dont think thats enough.

Lastly i worry about its ability to be impartial. The guide has a massive effect on restaurants. Once they have gained a certain status they jack up the prices and can make serious money. Im not saying it has happened, more that its possible.

I'm a foodie. I love going out and eating. I've eaten in * & ** michelin restos. You can tell class pretty quickly, but at times it seems like a silly system.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭pastorbarrett

I take it as an indicator of a particular standard and quality, never definitive. Yes, it's as flawed as any other awarding body in virtually any other sphere - and then some, given that its stock in trade (no pun) largely resides within the realm of subjectivity.

The only universal truth where food appraisal is concerned is one man's meat...etc.

Advertisement