Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seriously harassed by teenagers at the Lee Fields Walk!

Options
  • 27-06-2013 8:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭

What is Cork coming to?

We just parked the car about an hour ago to get out for a walk along the Lee Fields route on the Straight Road just opposite County Hall.

This feral teenager started hitting the car (parked with us inside) and shouting at us.

Then he attacked a cyclist!

meanwhile his little 'gang' including a group of girls were laughing away thinking the whole thing was hilarious.

Crazy stuff and completely spoiled or plan for a walk. My other half won't go back there ever again now.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

That's the summer hols for ya. And you can do fûck all about it as the little scripted know their rights more that you ever will. Scuts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Weathering

Buy a Rottweiler

• Registered Users Posts: 5,101 ✭✭✭Mech1

Bikes dont have reg numbers, im sure you know a few lads with bikes?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

I would head back with a group of my other male adult friends to take a little stroll and educate the youths on what proper behaviour is expected of them while congregating in public spaces. See how much harassament ensues then. Little f**kers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭CptMackey

Be no harm if the fell into the river and drowned. Scumbags get away with what ever they want. Gards don't care

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

SpaceTime wrote: »
    What is Cork coming to?

We just parked the car about an hour ago to get out for a walk along the Lee Fields route on the Straight Road just opposite County Hall.

This feral teenager started hitting the car (parked with us inside) and shouting at us.

Then he attacked a cyclist!

meanwhile his little 'gang' including a group of girls were laughing away thinking the whole thing was hilarious.

Crazy stuff and completely spoiled or plan for a walk. My other half won't go back there ever again now.

did you call the gardaí over? i would have, they would have sorted them out,

it tends to be a re-occurrence around parks, walkways and playgrounds lately, i know in our local playground they start drinking at 3pm so they'll be sober by their 10pm curfew which means by 4pm you have to take the children away from the play area because they start smashing the empty glass bottles,

we called the local garda station but its closed most of the time, togher gardaí do come out sometimes and scare them off briefly, or bring the troublemakers home but they are back again an hour later or the next day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Generation of teenage alcoholics on the way

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

Generation of teenage alcoholics on the way

Generation of adult do nothings here.

Maudi wrote: »
    Generation of adult do nothings here.

What is that supposed to mean?

You tackle them and get stabbed or accused of assaulting a minor.

All pointless.

They've park wardens in other countries who show up now and then. We don't have any of that stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭harvester of sorrow

murphym7 wrote: »
    I would head back with a group of my other male adult friends to take a little stroll and educate the youths on what proper behaviour is expected of them while congregating in public spaces. See how much harassament ensues then. Little f**kers.

This.
    Get a few of your buddys and head back to said location and teach these little scrotes a few manners.
    I wouldnt take any shit off them tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

gifted wrote: »
    catch the little scumbag and twist his arm around his back until you hear the snap, then get him down on his knees and kick his head until the blood is oozing out of his ears, get a bar and whack his spine till its gone and hang his limp f..ked body from a pole with a sign up warning other scumbags...

:eek::confused::(

We aren't living in some kind of medieval society or in an ultra violent computer game.

A bit of CCTV and a rosming park warden covering some of those walks is probably more than enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

We aren't living in some kind of medieval society or in an ultra violent computer game.

A bit of CCTV and a rosming park warden covering some of those walks is probably more than enough.

That all costs money, money a council wont spend on such projects.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,028 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

murphym7 wrote: »

Yes very clever if you want a stab wound and/or a conviction for assault.
    A war between "us" and "them" is just what we need!
    Thankfully you are probably all bluff and bluster or our society would be far worse off.

And no I'm not a bleeding heart with no anger towards anti-social/criminal behaviour. I'd just rather see the problems fixed rather than exacerbated. I fully understand your reaction but that sort of action helps nobody.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

hoodwinked wrote: »

it tends to be a re-occurrence around parks, walkways and playgrounds lately, i know in our local playground they start drinking at 3pm so they'll be sober by their 10pm curfew which means by 4pm you have to take the children away from the play area because they start smashing the empty glass bottles,

we called the local garda station but its closed most of the time, togher gardaí do come out sometimes and scare them off briefly, or bring the troublemakers home but they are back again an hour later or the next day.

???:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

CCTV camera would be broken within 5 minutes and as for a park warden...who are you going to hire that will stand up to a bunch of scrotes???

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭sensormatic

a good kicking for them ,,,,its the only language they understand.....
    the ringing the guards stuff is a load of balls tbh,,,useless,,, kids are not afraid anymore,,,a talking too from a guard,,he he for them,,,,a right good hiding is the answer,,,

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Offhand I'd not be able to source medieval society evidence, but from I remember of my studies that the parents were held more accountable for the actions of their children during those times and there used to a differing mindset of community spirit which meant such acts were seen as disrespectful to all the members of the wider community.

Manach wrote: »
    Offhand I'd not be able to source medieval society evidence, but from I remember of my studies that the parents were held more accountable for the actions of their children during those times and there used to a differing mindset of community spirit which meant such acts were seen as disrespectful to all the members of the wider community.

So we should try to foster that kind of society or have all the "decent" folk armed with iron bars thrashing the "scumbags"? The two do not go hand in hand.
    Not sure what you're getting at.

Manach wrote: »

I was actually referring to a post that was suggesting extremely violent medieval style action. It seems to have been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

When I was that age (and I'm only 35) if you tried anything like that you'd get a kicking from the person in question. Then if you went home you'd get another hiding from your parents. There were reprecussions for your actions. That doesn't exist now. Even serious assault cases are dealth with by suspended sentences. And God forbid if you even verbally admonish a kid for doing something wrong now. You'll have their parents screaming at you to leave their little darling alone. I'm the father of two young lads and I hope than if they ever give cause someone trouble in my estate that the peson gives em a right bollicking. Kids have to learn that actions have consequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭harvester of sorrow

mordeith wrote: »
    When I was that age (and I'm only 35) if you tried anything like that you'd get a kicking from the person in question. Then if you went home you'd get another hiding from your parents. There were reprecussions for your actions. That doesn't exist now. Even serious assault cases are dealth with by suspended sentences. And God forbid if you even verbally admonish a kid for doing something wrong now. You'll have their parents screaming at you to leave their little darling alone. I'm the father of two young lads and I hope than if they ever give cause someone trouble in my estate that the peson gives em a right bollicking. Kids have to learn that actions have consequences.

Here here.

bumper234 wrote: »
    ???:confused:

my point was that they

a: would have got rid of them while the op went for a walk, and

b: town is covered by the gardaí they'd easily be able to head to the lee fields walkway to monitor it if they knew there was trouble there. our local playground is under-covered by having no Gardaí and overrun with these teenagers,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

hoodwinked wrote: »

Unlikely to make much difference. Here in Douglas, we had a group of kids throwing stones at pedestrians, and hit one woman in the face. When we called the Gardaí, they said they'd be over in 5 minutes, and they never showed up. This was about 400m from Douglas Garda station.

who_me wrote: »
    Unlikely to make much difference. Here in Douglas, we had a group of kids throwing stones at pedestrians, and hit one woman in the face. When we called the Gardaí, they said they'd be over in 5 minutes, and they never showed up. This was about 400m from Douglas Garda station.

That doesn't mean that the gardaí shouldn't be called, though. There'd be very little notice taken of a complaint that the gardaí didn't turn up if they're not called. You should make a complaint, really.

who_me wrote: »

lol douglas is the local station i was on about :D , in the city and by the lee fields there is a high Garda presence unlike in Douglas where there is none,

the odd togher squad car driving through really doesn't count.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

Yes very clever if you want a stab wound and/or a conviction for assault.
    A war between "us" and "them" is just what we need!
    Thankfully you are probably all bluff and bluster or our society would be far worse off.

And no I'm not a bleeding heart with no anger towards anti-social/criminal behaviour. I'd just rather see the problems fixed rather than exacerbated. I fully understand your reaction but that sort of action helps nobody.

I find it interesting that you think that I would actually assault these youths. I also find it fascinating that you can make the assertion that I am full of "bluff and bluster". All this from reading one post, very perceptive!

You don't know me, you have no idea of how I have dealt with this type of situation before and how I will deal with it again. If you and others do not want to get involved, that's fine. Ignore and hope that it goes away. Gardai won't be doing much about it.

I am not a big tough guy, but I will always challenge this behaviour when I come across it. You say you would like the problems fixed, please enlighten us on how exactly this might occur?

Fell free to sit on the fence if you are not comfortable standing up for yourself, not everyone can. I have a backbone and will never put up with this sort of crap from anybody, let alone a bunch of saucy kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

I understand how this is intimidating if you had your children with you, and of course you shouldn't have to put up with it, but being put off ever going back there is a little much. Stand up to them, but at the same time understand that teenagers are all going to act really stupid at some time, some worse than others, so you will encounter this sort of thing from time to time. As you said, he was clearly trying to impress the girls he was with.

All this talk of "Knackergeddon", so to speak, is really getting very old.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭sensormatic

yo spacetime if your around sunday at 3 please do come to chruchfield park for a family day out,,,musc,,,dog show,,,face painting,,,sports day..all free and run by the people up here,,,no scumbags will enter,,,,the dogs will eat them,,plenty of home grown security for all up here,,,its well run the kids love it,,,food and icecream as well as a first aid stand just in case for bumps and all that,,,do come along if you wish we welcome all

• Advertisement

Thanks for the invite but I'm unlikely to make it.
    Have fun!

Advertisement