Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seriously harassed by teenagers at the Lee Fields Walk!

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

hoodwinked wrote: »
    lol douglas is the local station i was on about :D , in the city and by the lee fields there is a high Garda presence unlike in Douglas where there is none,

the odd togher squad car driving through really doesn't count.

Yeah, I don't think the douglas one is manned at all anymore. I was trying to find the douglas one open four days in a row during their advertised 'opening hours'. No joy.

It looks like they have only one garda on shift, who is called out all day long or something. Bit of a waste of a giant building if they are doing that, could just base the garda in town or togher and stop wasting everyones time/taxes running an empty building and listing it as open. ****ty fot the garda as well. He/she must get abuse from all quarters.

As for OP, keep yourself out of it if you can. They are only looking for a fight. Best not to even entertain them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Douglas opens around lunchtime every day but not sure for how. Well when I say opens...someone answers the phone who isn't a garda from the atogher station, put it that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

I started to notice this since the primary schools closed around Cork last week, it seems that loads of the kids are being left out at all hours now. And with the fine weather too they're out in mobs.

I was waiting for my Dominos pizza order in Blackpool the other night and there was a big gang of fairly young lads and lassies hanging out outside the shopping centre. The girls were running the show and the lads were tripping over each other to impress, it's kinda funny to watch. I remember those days! Except in a lot of cases recently it seems that this one-upmanship leads to drinking, harassment of others and vandalism.

If someone could set up a dating agency for these teenagers then that'd keep them all busy for the summer! Problem solved!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Primary schools only closed yesterday though not last week. I assume you mean secondary schools?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

WTF? Are adults now running scared of primary school kids now? Pack a hurl and a tennis ball/sliothar into the back of the car. That's what I do. Never know when I might fancy knocking a ball around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,028 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

murphym7 wrote: »
    I find it interesting that you think that I would actually assault these youths. I also find it fascinating that you can make the assertion that I am full of "bluff and bluster". All this from reading one post, very perceptive!

You don't know me, you have no idea of how I have dealt with this type of situation before and how I will deal with it again. If you and others do not want to get involved, that's fine. Ignore and hope that it goes away. Gardai won't be doing much about it.

I am not a big tough guy, but I will always challenge this behaviour when I come across it. You say you would like the problems fixed, please enlighten us on how exactly this might occur?

Fell free to sit on the fence if you are not comfortable standing up for yourself, not everyone can. I have a backbone and will never put up with this sort of crap from anybody, let alone a bunch of saucy kids.

There is a very big difference between challenging this sort of behaviour when you come across is and:
    I would head back with a group of my other male adult friends to take a little stroll and educate the youths on what proper behaviour is expected of them while congregating in public spaces. See how much harassament ensues then. Little f**kers.
    . I cannot infer anything other than aggression and violence in that statement. How else would you "educate" them? Take them down a peg or two with your razor sharp wit? Maybe shame them into remorse with a compelling speech?

The reason I said that you are probably full of bluff and bluster is that, in my experience, most people who speak of taking up vigilante action are, thankfully, full of bluff and bluster but as you say, I don't know you. Maybe you are one of the few who actually does follow through on your violent rhetoric. I hope not, though.

Because I don't agree with your short term solution, doesn't mean I have one quick answer to the problem. Combating anti-social behaviour requires long term social strategy. It requires more and better policing. It requires better education for all. It requires more parental responsibility. It requires a narrowing of the economic divide. It requires better social infrastructure and activities for youths. It requires a better justice system to deal with young offenders and more youth prison places. All long term issues. I don't have any short term solutions nor do I have to to disagree with your approach.

Now, I've no doubt you're very strong and brave and have a fantastic spinal cord but, as I said, there is a huge difference between standing up to this sort of behaviour as you might come across it and what you suggested in your first post. Your suggestion that I can't or won't stand up for myself really took me down a notch - not.

If you really believe that you and a gang of your mates can "educate", the little f**kers and improve the situation, then take to the streets!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

Ludo wrote: »
    Primary schools only closed yesterday though not last week. I assume you mean secondary schools?
    No Pants wrote: »
    WTF? Are adults now running scared of primary school kids now? Pack a hurl and a tennis ball/sliothar into the back of the car. That's what I do. Never know when I might fancy knocking a ball around.

Since it was the last week of school there was a bit of a celebratory spirit around during the evenings, and yeah there's plenty of sixth class kids out and about as well! I'm in a big estate with loads of kids of all ages and I can tell ya it's different from when I was in fifth or sixth class!

In fairness though most of the trouble is from those in the 12 - 17 age range. Any violence against these kids will only do more damage in the long run. There's no harm in bringing a big walking stick or hurley with you just to use as a suggestive defensive weapon against anyone who might consider assaulting you. But actually using it should obviously be a last resort. Try to think back to when you were that age - getting a reaction from somebody was the marker for success. Just ignore them, and if they try to escalate to anything more serious then try to remove yourself from the situation. It sounds cowardly to some but avoiding eye contact and getting away is the best recourse. Similarly if someone was attacking my car I'd move it straight away and call the guards. Having a standoff or similar won't achieve anything.

Or get all of your friends, collect some weapons (clubs, bats, tridents, that sort of thing) and have yourself a turf war with Wes Mantooth and the rest of those ****s from the KQHS Channel 9 Evening News Team.

EDIT: the beer revolution makes some excellent points, fully agree

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 259 ✭✭corkplumber

its getting that rough. even the dogs are going around in pairs.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,285 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I just had to come on here and tell of my experience last night when out running in the lee fields with my friend.

As you would expect it was fairly busy due to the amazing weather we've been having but there was a particular crowd of youngsters there that you wouldn't normally see any other time of the year - the rubbish surrounding them was unbelievable - cans and papers strewn everywhere - on the walkway, in the grass etc. We had to walk in between them as there was a gang sitting on a bench and then there were more half on the walkway. They didn't say anything to us but it was still intimidating.

I just couldn't believe the litter that was around - the lee fields is always immaculate in my experience.

I was just disgusted to be quite honest - going out there again tonight so I suppose it'll be the same thing again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Ring the Gardai and the Litter warden's office.

I'm not sure if the County or a City is responsible for the while route do maybe ring both

• Advertisement

SpaceTime wrote: »

I'm not sure if the County or a City is responsible for the while route do maybe ring both

I would think the City Council would be responsible? Anyway I emailed them there

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭sensormatic

SpaceTime wrote: »

closed after 5pm the gardai will not answer a call like that,,,,litter office might do if they have someone around they are very stretched at this time due to cutbacks but the gardai will only laugh at you for a call like this,,,also due to cutbacks an so on,,,,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

Was for a walk in the Lee Fields at 10 o'clock this morning and the place was a real mess with papers, cans, bottles & even items of clothing all flung around quite a large area. Hope it's not going to become a regular occurrence as it's such a lovely walk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Cork City Litter Hotline 1800 22 22 26

National Litter Hotline (Environmental Protection Agency) 1850 365 121

I actually emailed the County Council by accident and got a response from a girl who said she would "pass on my email to the City Council" :rolleyes: let's see what, if anything, happens

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭bogman

Passed there today, large numbers of teenagers largely enjoying themselves, many drinking, understand how this could be "very intimidating"
    I would tend to avoid this area in the afternoon and evening in this weather, I certainly would have felt more comfortable with a couple of large dogs and a big hurley considering the area is not under supervision and wardens seem to be a thing of the past

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Loads of what I assumed to be boozy teens with towels walking out in front of cars yesterday evening coming back from their annual wash.

Kept the head down with baseball cap on and successfully passed under their radar.

bogman wrote: »
    Passed there today, large numbers of teenagers largely enjoying themselves, many drinking, understand how this could be "very intimidating"
    I would tend to avoid this area in the afternoon and evening in this weather, I certainly would have felt more comfortable with a couple of large dogs and a big hurley considering the area is not under supervision and wardens seem to be a thing of the past

Yeah,we just stayed out on the footpath near the road and then went in the entrance at the lee fields car park as there didn't seem to be any more of them further down.

It's bloody annoying though seeing all the litter.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Is there any security in Bishop Lucy park anymore?They seem to have just given up and left it to the winos and scumbags.They need to bring back that scary looking dude with the weird eyes.

Advertisement