Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite console

• 27-06-2013 9:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭

So what's your favourite console or what was the best one?

Mine is definitely the N64, Goldeneye, Banjo-Kazooie, Mario-64, Mario Kart, Zelda - Ocarina of time.... the list goes on and on. It also brought in the rumble pack for starfox - and that lunatic drumming game with donkey kong

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Playstation 2

Persona 3 & 4
    Smt Nocturne
    Shadow of the colossus
    Ico

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭hal9000

Atari Jag..u....ahh I cant even say it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Xbox 360. No question.

The sheer number of outstanding titles in this gen trumps all others IMO.

Then we have the appearance of the indie downloadable game scene. Trials, Braid, Shadown Complex, Fez, the list goes on.

Anyone who doesn't consider the Xbox360/PS3 gen the best so far is suffering from a little bit of nostalgia, IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

The SNES.

Super Mario All Stars, Mario Kart, Donkey Kong Country, Yoshi's Island, Star Fox, Harvest Moon, Zelda: Link to the Past.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,542 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I still play my Gizmondo on a nearly hourly basis. The home console versions of SSX 3 have nothing on the handheld one! The ad-supported 'lite' version of the console was a marketing master stroke. A definitive example of form and function.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,862 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Commodore C64. My childhood in a box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Playstation 1

Metal Gear Solid
    FF7 - 9
    Micro Machines / Maniacs (4 player adapter)
    Point Blank w/2 light guns
    Gran Turismo 2
    Speed Freaks / Crash Team Racing / WWE Attitude (4 player brilliance)

PS2 wouldn't be far behind, if only because of Timesplitters, GTA3, Tekken Tag Tournament, God of War and Devil May Cry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭MOC88

quarryman wrote: »
    Xbox 360. No question.

The sheer number of outstanding titles in this gen trumps all others IMO.

Then we have the appearance of the indie downloadable game scene. Trials, Braid, Shadown Complex, Fez, the list goes on.

Anyone who doesn't consider the Xbox360/PS3 gen the best so far is suffering from a little bit of nostalgia, IMO.

I don't think so, I still play through final fantasy 8 & 9 from the ps. I had way more fun on the N64 than I ever did with this generation. Forget dark souls you can get to wherever you were in about 5 minutes... with mario 64 jump off the wrong platform you would start crying because you might have spent hours collecting all the coins. The only reason I don't play them any more is that the N64 was my borther's.

This generation ahs gone on longer than any other but I think there is just so many re-releases of the same game whereas most of those n64 titles were original or approached from a different angle - turok, goldeneya and perfect dark were all fps but the experiences were completely different... get-force-gemini was plain nuts. The zeldas these days are shadows of what they were. I only see refinement of ideas these days and a lot of the fun has been lost. This is starting to change with inde-devlopment but it really has a long way to go.

The indie scene is definitely much larger hese days but it was always there especially seen through the demo discs free with magazines which used have independently designed games. Hell timesplitters used allow you design your own maps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Console? PS3. Why? Because I get all ps1 ps2 and ps3 games in one bundle. You can't get better value then that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,746 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Commodore C64. My childhood in a box.

technically not a console but same here :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 171 ✭✭Tweej

Really loved my Gamecube, got me into Nintendo. So much first party support.... So little third.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

SNES. Nostalgia and that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,709 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

GameCube for first-party, PS2/3 for third-party.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Probably the PS2 or Snes. Snes was the first console i really remember actively getting games for, and had some fantastic titles. The PS2 i got for my 18th birthday (i think), and played it for years. A crazy amount of fantastic games came out for it.

Although both would come in behind the pc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Saturn.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

Xbox 360 for its many great titles and Xbox live. Some amazing funny and friendship building moments that will never be forgotten.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

PS1 for me. PCs were a foreign land to me in the mid 90s, so experiencing true 3d graphics was something special. One of my first memories of it was watching a friend play the console port of Doom on it.
    Have always had a soft spot for the early Tomb Raiders. Then of course there was the game changer that was Metal Gear Solid and the first time my jaw dropped playing a racing game was Gran Turismo. All this mixed up with the fact I was in school and spend as much time talking about these great games as I did playing them means it will always been my favourite console.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Megadrive,

Sonic games, thunder force, Herzog Zwei, Soliel, Streets of rage 2, Ecco 1 and 2, Castlevania, Eswat, Goldenaxe, Rocket knight adventure and many other wonderful games that could not be experienced anywhere else.

Saturn and Dreamcast were a close 2nd and the PS 1 is third. I dont really think I noticed N64, as far as I was concerned it had no games and was expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

SNES for me

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Cokeistan

PS3 for me, mainly because of the number of brilliant exclusives that have been released for it. PlayStation plus was a genius idea for it too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,006 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Home console I'd say the Playstation 2. Great console and lots of great games. Handheld is definitely the Gameboy Color, basically for Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow/Gold/Silver. Lots of other great games on it too, but Pokemon was the thing then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

SNES for me, hands down.

I sometimes worry about lurking in the A&R forum in case I finally decide to start building some form of game collection. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

SNES for me, all those memories as well those games. I still play it occasionally, too.

Went back playing Legend of Zelda and Super Metroid again a few months back and was completely hooked on them.

Been playing a lot of Gamecube lately and quite impressed with some of the games it had since I never knew anyone who had one when it was out so I never got to play it then.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Atari 2600.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭eireannBEAR

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=dgyzuFMfJ4Q

you left out wcw/nwo revenge op what do you think of this hand made portable n64????

MOC88 wrote: »
    So what's your favourite console or what was the best one?

Mine is definitely the N64, Goldeneye, Banjo-Kazooie, Mario-64, Mario Kart, Zelda - Ocarina of time.... the list goes on and on. It also brought in the rumble pack for starfox - and that lunatic drumming game with donkey kong

my choice would be the sega master-system! apart from the hand held in my link it would be the sega game-gear for its time it blew the gameboy away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Take off the blinkers man, there's some seriously great consoles & games libraries out there that trounce this generation pound for pound.

I miss my old mega drive, overall that was probably my favourite followed by the playstation that it was traded in for.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,559 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It might be but only because of the rise of PC indie gaming and the offerings of the DS, 3DS, PSP and the Wii's quirkier games. The 360 and PS3 have a fair amount of good games but I don't see a lot of people looking back fondly on a majority of them and the NES, PS2 and SNES absolutely trounces them in terms of the sheer amount of classics. There's also the problem gaming being near homogenised into about 4-5 different genres. There's little to none of the weird and crazy inventiveness you saw on the PS1 and PS2.

For me the best console ever is the DS followed by the SNES. The DS just has so many good games but also a whole lot of very interesting and weird stuff as well, more than any other console in both counts imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 victorpaul1

Play station 3. I have played so many games on this console.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭eireannBEAR

like my post have some gratitude i posted gold yet you lot are just posting crap and liking each others posts!!!

Advertisement