Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

xps 1330 motherboard

Options
  • 27-06-2013 10:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭

the motherboard is gone in me Dell xps, where is the best place to get this replaced?

Comments

Is it one with the 8400M GS GPU? If so I wouldn't bother unless you were getting the GPU reballed. Any unmodified replacement motherboard will have the same fault and will eventually fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭rothai

cool, so throw it in for recyling so?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

rothai wrote: »
    cool, so throw it in for recyling so?

Split it up and sell the parts, hard disk, ram, screen etc. As mentioned all replacement mobos for this with the Nvidia GPU have likely been reflowed i.e: heatgun taken to the video card. It's just not worth the trouble getting new motherboards with these chipsets unless your absolutely sure they were reballed, or else they are just a ticking time bomb ready to die again..

Nick

if i was to sell it whole on adverts, how much would i sell it for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Karsini wrote: »
    Is it one with the 8400M GS GPU? If so I wouldn't bother unless you were getting the GPU reballed. Any unmodified replacement motherboard will have the same fault and will eventually fail.

You can get a M1330 board with a Intel graphics. Its doesn't have that design flaw.

• Advertisement

beauf wrote: »
    You can get a M1330 board with a Intel graphics. Its doesn't have that design flaw.

Yeah, hence why I asked if it were the 8400. You have to get a new heatsink as well though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

rothai - taking apart a laptop is a bit of work. I've done it before but not for a M1330. Its takes a while and you need to take your time. You'll find guides on the web. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJF4VR9k7D8

I really like the M1330 is has a really good screen, nice and bright compared to any budget laptop you might replace it with. While its a bit old, if it were me I'd consider fixing it. You could get a SSD to speed it up. I wouldn't upgrade the CPU though as a faster CPU just creates more heat.

But it is a bit of work. If you have the funds a basic i3 replacement would be a lot faster.

rothai - taking apart a laptop is a bit of work. I've done it before but not for a M1330. Its takes a while and you need to take your time. You'll find guides on the web. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJF4VR9k7D8

I really like the M1330 is has a really good screen, nice and bright compared to any budget laptop you might replace it with. While its a bit old, if it were me I'd consider fixing it. You could get a SSD to speed it up. I wouldn't upgrade the CPU though as a faster CPU just creates more heat.

But it is a bit of work. If you have the funds a basic i3 replacement would be a lot faster.
    They are nice laptops alright, I had the version with Intel graphics at one stage. :)

cool, thanks for all the help everyone.
    So now im in the market for a laptop, im thinking about geting a ultra laptop, 500ish euro to spend, any recommendations?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

The M1330 and M1530 machines come apart very easily, RAM and HDD and PCI cards have compartments even. All you need is a PH00 precision screwdriver. Screen bezel isn't even screwed on just pry off. Dell do good service manuals also for their machines, probably the best manufacturer for this :)

Nick

• Advertisement
Advertisement