Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

9mm glock

Options
  • 27-06-2013 10:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Hi I just want to no can you get a 9mm glock 17 or any 9mm pistol in Ireland. I no you can get a 22lr pistol here once you are a member of a shooting range.
    I just want to no is there any special licence you can get to own a 9mm in Ireland

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,976 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Can't get a licence for a centrefire pistol anymore.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Afraid not, no.

No licenses for restricted short firearms are being issued unless the firearm was licensed to you before Nov. 2008.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Beretta boy

Cass wrote: »
    Afraid not, no.

No licenses for restricted short firearms are being issued unless the firearm was licensed to you before Nov. 2008.

Even 22lr pistols

• Registered Users Posts: 14,976 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Even 22lr pistols

5 shot .22lr's aren't restricted so they're not affected.

As Blay said if the .22 holds 5 or less shots then it's classed an unrestricted which means it does not fall foul of the Nov. 2008 statement.

However if the .22 holds more than 5 rounds it's deemed restricted and cannot be licensed.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

This might fit elsewhere, but how does that work out for competitions that consist of shooting sequences of 6 shots, its going to entail extra magazine changes and time?

I assume people alter the rules to accommodate for this.

There was a discussion before about how many rounds constitute a mag. IOW if i only have 5 in the mag (keeping within the unrestricted nature of my license) but one in the spout am i legally covered as the magazine is not holding more than 5 rounds?

Personally i don't think this is valid.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭1shot16

I thought restricted didnt mean banned?... could i get a ar 15 if i had a valid reason?

It doesn't.

Restricted means a "higher level" of license to own a particular firearm. When discussing it in terms of pistols though they only apply to previously licensed pistols, not new ones. However restricted licenses also apply to shotguns, rifles, etc. As these are not short arms then they can be licensed if the conditions/purpose for them is valid.

As for the AR15. As it's a semi auto .223 then yes you could. However as it's military both in looks, and design it'll be a push. However i have seen and shot AR clones, Ruger, H&K, Remington, etc in semi auto .223. Fun for a bit, but unless you are using it for comps not much cop. That's just my own opinion. I prefer bolt action.

1shot16 wrote: »
    I thought restricted didnt mean banned?... could i get a ar 15 if i had a valid reason?

no I contacted the nargc before asking about that you can't get them because they are a asault weapon and are a military grade gun but u can get a r15 here it is practically the same thing in a 223 cal. U dont need no special licence u just need a normal gun licence:)

• Advertisement

U dont need no special licence u just need a normal gun licence:)
    Restricted for all centrefire semi auto rifles. Means applying to the Chief Super.

The whole military style weapons thing is very vague and nobody really knows about it or is sure where the line is... Sure ruger 10/22 same action can be made into a military style weapon with just a stock!

Also pistol calibres like what diference is a 22l to 9mm other than speed and power its still coming out of a handgun!

1shot16 wrote: »
    The whole military style weapons thing is very vague .......
    Much like a shotgun with a folding stock or pistol grip is somehow more dangerous than a normal semi auto.
    Also pistol calibres like what diference is a 22l to 9mm other than speed and power its still coming out of a handgun!
    You figure that out call Minister Shatter on ........................ :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

no I contacted the nargc before asking about that you can't get them because they are a asault weapon and are a military grade gun but u can get a r15 here it is practically the same thing in a 223 cal. U dont need no special licence u just need a normal gun licence:)

Not true. You can get an AR15. It's just a model of semi-auto centrefire rifle. As such, it is restricted, and requires a restricted licence, but it's possible to own one legally.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

You can still own a semi-auto 9mm pistol on the island of Ireland but you'll have to join a target shooting range up North and leave your gun in storage with the club or a dealer up there.

You figure that out call Minister Shatter on ........................ :D

I think ill write to him every week till the day i die just to get them legalised not for me as i wont be getting a centerfire handgun for a few years but for the other gun people who follow the laws unlike criminals.

Like criminals are going to get a license 9mm all they do is call up their buddies and get it by the end of the week!They wont do any safety courses pay the license fee or any of dat!

Our government i dont even noe what to say!

Not true. You can get an AR15. It's just a model of semi-auto centrefire rifle. As such, it is restricted, and requires a restricted licence, but it's possible to own one legally.

Don't no now but that's what they told me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

True , I have seen a couple of them here, not my cuppa , gimme a garand or an m14 any day.

Lads just move to america...

You can still own a semi-auto 9mm pistol on the island of Ireland but you'll have to join a target shooting range up North and leave your gun in storage with the club or a dealer up there.
    How does that work? Non resident license/permit? What about address, etc you need for the license application.

Seems like a lot of grief tbh, but again i prefer to have access to my guns whenever i want.

• Advertisement

How does that work? Non resident license/permit? What about address, etc you need for the license application.

Seems like a lot of grief tbh, but again i prefer to have access to my guns whenever i want.

Cass, it can be done on a visitor permit, the club/range acting as your sponsor for the application and conditions in relation to storage will have to be hammered out and adhered to.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Don't no now but that's what they told me

Well as an owner of an B] Modular Sporting Rifle[/B] version of a AR10 [To give them their correct manufacturers name these days.;):)The modern sporting rifle versions are as far removed from an "assault rifle" of the "Nam" era these days as a WW1 Lee Enfield rifle is from a current day hunting rifle.
    Yes they are liscenseable as restricted,but be prepared to have your ducks well lined up and in a row to convince the CS and proably a district court judge on it as well.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

rowa wrote: »
    True , I have seen a couple of them here, not my cuppa , gimme a garand or an m14 any day.

Now they would be interesting, saw one of the later with a plastic stock, I think the wooden stock would look better, chances

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Cass, it can be done on a visitor permit, the club/range acting as your sponsor for the application and conditions in relation to storage will have to be hammered out and adhered to.

As far as I'm aware, it can't be done on a visitors permit. We can bring our centrefire pistols up North for competitions if we have the correct permits but they can't bring their centrefire pistols down here as they are restricted.

They can bring their small bore pistols down, but not their centrefire.

I'm open to correction but I think that is the case.

BattleCorp wrote: »
    As far as I'm aware, it can't be done on a visitors permit. We can bring our centrefire pistols up North for competitions if we have the correct permits but they can't bring their centrefire pistols down here as they are restricted.

They can bring their small bore pistols down, but not their centrefire.

I'm open to correction but I think that is the case.

No you are correct, I've checked on the visitor permit issue; you need your local licence for it. I'll have to check with a chap I know how he arranged it. For the happy few in possession of a pre U-turn full bore pistol licence the visitor permit is still an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Chopperdog 2

No you are correct, I've checked on the visitor permit issue; you need your local licence for it. I'll have to check with a chap I know how he arranged it. For the happy few in possession of a pre U-turn full bore pistol licence the visitor permit is still an option.

Meathstevie,
    How it works is that firstly the firearm must be legally licensed in the country of your normal residence

Secondly, you give a copy of your firearm cert and a letter of sponsorship from a Northern Ireland resident to the PSNI firearms licensing department

On consideration they may award a visitors permit (with conditions) especially stating that the Northern permit is only valid while your southern permit is valid. ie, yuor Northern permit piggy backs on your southern one.

This is how I used my centrefire pistols up North for years.

C. D.

Just so i have this correct, someone might answer this.

I have a southern license, and then apply for a visitors permit up North by going through the necessary channels.
    1. How do you get a southern license in the first place?
    2. Or do you get a Northern license and use it up there?
    3. Also how do you get a Northern license if you don't live there?
    4. Can you have a non resident license?

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭demonloop

Also how do you get a Northern license if you don't live there?
    Can you have a non resident license?

You can't have an NI license unless you are resident there.

Sect A5 of the application form...

Home Address (you must be resident in N. Ireland)

http://www.psni.police.uk/30-1_form_jan-12.pdf

So there is no way to own or license a new restricted/centrefire pistol in Ireland? Here or trying to register/license it up North? As a non resident.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Not 100% up on NI but
    ASFIK,it can become a "club gun" and be stored on range up in NI,and you use it as or when you are up there.
    OR you can get somone in NI with a free space on their ticket to "adopt it" so to speak with you as a dual user of some sorts.:confused:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Advertisement