Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Right subjects for studying law in UCD?

• 27-06-2013 10:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭

I'm planning on doing Geography,Business,Biology and History for my Leaving Cert, I'm planning on doing law at UCD, it seems like a wonderful course business with law. I'm wondering if these are the right subjects to study or if theres another subject more releated to law I could do.

Thank you, all help appreciated from current LC students and UCD student.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

There are no LC subjects with a particularly strong link to law tbh (apart from perhaps English which you will be doing anyway ... the ability to write clearly, logically and well is essential for anyone in the legal field), so you're probably best to concentrate on those subjects which you enjoy and can therefore expect to do well in in your LC.

History and business would both be as near as you can get to "right" subjects ... history because it provides a general context and background to the specific history, development and evolution of current law which is something you will study to some extent as part of your law course; business both because you will start to encounter some aspects of commercial and consumer law in this subject (albeit very superficially) and because you're thinking of doing business with law anyway.

Economics might be a useful one from that latter point of view also, but as I say I wouldn't worry too much about the "right" subject to match your future degree, but rather pick the ones you enjoy and are likely to do well in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭yournerd

I think English, Business and Economics are most important :) Depends what you want to put Law with as UCD have a great range too :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 835 ✭✭✭kingcobra

I think you should also keep a language as there is also a Law with French degree which would be a very good one to have. It also means you're less restricted with your options in the event you change your mind - which you may strongly think that may not happen now but it alsways helps to have a plan B.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

kingcobra wrote: »
    I think you should also keep a language as there is also a Law with French degree which would be a very good one to have. It also means you're less restricted with your options in the event you change your mind - which you may strongly think that may not happen now but it alsways helps to have a plan B.
    Actually. well spotted. I didn't cop the lack of a language tbh, or maybe sub-consciously assumed that those listed were in addition to the core subjects and a third language.

Just to be quite clear, cfc, you will need a third language to satisfy minimum entry requirements for law in UCD and in the universities generally, regardless of whether you continue that language in uni or not. If you're not already doing one in addition to the subjects listed above, that's something you definitely need to change.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭yournerd

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 835 ✭✭✭kingcobra

yournerd wrote: »

From that OP it says you need an OD3 in another language to meet the matriculation requirments, which is really simple to get if you had a decent higher level standard.

I say this because I know a friend who decided midway through 6th year to do French in order to keep his options open as a lot of courses require a language. He got a Higher Level B in his Junior Cert as far as I can remember and he did next to no study for his mocks and the real thing, besides last minute 'revision.' With that said, he'll easily get his pass in ordinary level, and French was never his forte.

So even for yourself you most certainly should at least do a 3rd language as an eighth subject as if you do change your mind at least the foreign language makes other courses available to yourself, and of course you need it to get Law in UCD. And sure if you did a foreign language up to Junior Cert, and found it somewhat enjoyable, even slightly, you should probably take it up as part of your seven subjects as to be honest I think it is a lot more useful/necessary to you than the options you have mentioned.

That being said. do what options you enjoy most and then do OL French as your eighth subject if you don't like it too much. It'll give you a broader range of courses to choose from, never mind it being a requirement in UCD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭cfc.forever

I could do that, I'm quite good at French. I'll get some grinds in French though and do it just to meet the requirements :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭SeanyboyQPR

I'm hoping to be accepted for Law at UCD in August, and I did Business, History, Economics and German.

Advertisement