Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taxi from City centre to Maynooth after night club

Options
  • 27-06-2013 10:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭

Going for a night out in Dublin on a Friday night, able to stay with friends in Maynooth, would there be any problem getting a taxi to Maynooth after the night club. Do taxi s consider that distance a waste of time, I mean when they could be doing shorter runs. Any idea of the cost? Thanks a mill!!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,216 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I'd say it could be 45 euro or more. I'm guessing a bit, but it wouldn't be cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

Nite link is cheaper, maybe not as safe though

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Username exists

hillbloom wrote: »
    Going for a night out in Dublin on a Friday night, able to stay with friends in Maynooth, would there be any problem getting a taxi to Maynooth after the night club. Do taxi s consider that distance a waste of time, I mean when they could be doing shorter runs. Any idea of the cost? Thanks a mill!!

Why not get the 66 nitelink

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭EyeSight

might be cheaper to get a hostel.
    If you were sure you want a taxi home i would advise you ring a company to book it in the morning. Taxi drivers would probably not take you or overcharge you otherwise

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

If you have the dosh taxi is much much handier also depending where you are in the city taxi could be handier, would be 40+ depending on how many people and you should have no problem getting one.

Also it's the 67N that takes you to Maynooth, 66N terminates in Leixlip.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

I've done it a few times before and it was usually around €70. It's not as bad as it sounds if there's a few of you, if you get a 7 seater it works out at about €12 each.

Actually last time we did it it was €69 cause I remember us having a laugh at that (as you do after a night out).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,216 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

GarIT wrote: »
    I've done it a few times before and it was usually around €70. It's not as bad as it sounds if there's a few of you, if you get a 7 seater it works out at about €12 each.

Actually last time we did it it was €69 cause I remember us having a laugh at that (as you do after a night out).

Jakers with my guessing skills (€45) I should have got a job in Anglo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭jubella

spurious wrote: »
    Jakers with my guessing skills (€45) I should have got a job in Anglo.

You wouldn't be too far off I'd say for one person. I got a taxi from city centre centre to Clane by myself not so long ago and at the turn off for maynooth it definitely wasn't more than 48 euro.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

EyeSight wrote: »
    might be cheaper to get a hostel.
    If you were sure you want a taxi home i would advise you ring a company to book it in the morning. Taxi drivers would probably not take you or overcharge you otherwise

:confused:

Do you not know your rights as a passenger?

You really shouldn't respond to a thread if you don't have a clue.

The one part you did get right, "might be cheaper to get a hostel." The rest is nonsense.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/public_transport/duties_of_drivers_of_spsv_in_ire.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Walter Lacey

They would easily take you. The taxi business is super competitive. I got a taxi from Waterford to Kilkenny at three in the morning on a bank holiday Saturday night. You can book in advance too and see can you get a cheaper rate. You can get it but be willing to pay more as it takes away from their time to get more fares.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

College Green, Dublin to Maynooth

http://transportforireland.ie/taxi/fare-estimator/
    Estimated Fare - €40.60to €52.00

Please note: the above fare is an indicative estimate only and should not be taken as a guaranteed fare.

Distance 25.9 km
    No traffic (25 min)
    Heavy traffic (46 min)

1 km @ €4.45 = €4.45
    14 km @ €1.57 = €21.98
    10.09km @ €1.77 = €19.29
    Total = €45.72

So €70 is bunkum.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Victor wrote: »
    College Green, Dublin to Maynooth

http://transportforireland.ie/taxi/fare-estimator/

1 km @ €4.45 = €4.45
    14 km @ €1.57 = €21.98
    10.09km @ €1.77 = €19.29
    Total = €45.72

So €70 is bunkum.

As was said before they might charge more per person or for 7 seaters. I'm not 100% sure how it works, I only get maybe 5 taxis a year.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

GarIT wrote: »
    As was said before they might charge more per person or for 7 seaters. I'm not 100% sure how it works, I only get maybe 5 taxis a year.

It's €1 extra per passenger.
    A taxi can't charge extra because he has more seats.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

OP I'm from Dunshaughlin (in Meath) and before I moved to Dublin I used to get a lot of taxis home from town if I was in a group of 3 or 4. We'd hail a taxi and ask them to bring us to Dunshaughlin for €40. Some would say no and we'd just try the next one. We always got a taxi driver who would turn off the meter and bring us for the agreed fare. There's a surplus of taxis in the city now so many drivers would be glad to get that kind of fare.

F1ngers wrote: »

The one part you did get right, "might be cheaper to get a hostel." The rest is nonsense.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/public_transport/duties_of_drivers_of_spsv_in_ire.html

Get your head out of the clouds. I have been told many times by drivers that it isn't worth their while to take me and driving on. What am i going to do? Call the guards?
    Try living in the real world, guess what, not everyone plays by the rules

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

You still can't beat the Nitelink for €5.70 cash or €5 with a LEAP card!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Get your head out of the clouds. I have been told many times by drivers that it isn't worth their while to take me and driving on. What am i going to do? Call the guards?

I called the regulator and made a complaint for that exact reason. They have since contacted me back regarding the complaint

Mr Simpson wrote: »
    I called the regulator and made a complaint for that exact reason. They have since contacted me back regarding the complaint

good for you. But a majority of people do not read up on all their rights in the world and do not bother to report every incident. You are especially not going to do this if you are drunk not that your credibility remain intact.
    People break the rules all the time in the real world. I was stating advice to the OP so that they can be guaranteed not to have this experience. That the OP can enjoy his/her night and step out of the club and rest assured their taxi will be there and know exactly how much it would cost(which was the main question).
    I'm not gonna reply anymore because it will just derail the thread. Sorry i offered advice, some people on boards just love to disagree

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭hillbloom

Thanks for all the replies, they are very helpful. Regardless of the cost we will be able to get a taxi, there will be a group, we wont be left on the street!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

F1ngers wrote: »

Yep you really should, a taxi driver can refuse any fare over 30 Km, Ringsend to Dublin Rd/Straffen Road junction is 29.93Km according to the AA, so depending where in Dublin and where in Maynooth you start stop could result in a perfectly legitimate dumping out by the roadside, and a fare to pay as well, far easier to suck it up and take a taxi who wants to take you because if I had a bolshey customer insisting that I took them I would require the 30Km (€47.05 plus any extras) fare upfront and you out at 30 Km for being a pratt and even then if you were being bolshey I could still refuse you on H&S grounds that you might attack me when being asked to leave the vehicle :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Realistically you are looking at €60 for a taxi to Maynooth from the City Centre. Any time I have taken one as far as leixlip it was circa €40. Maynooth is another 8km from the City Centre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Please remember to be civil to each other while posting. Attack the post, not the poster.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Laneyh

The fare estimator on here http://transportforireland.ie/taxi/fare-estimator/ reckons it'll be around €50
    You could always try a nitelink and taxi combination if you were worried about cost but if there are a few of you a taxi makes the most sense

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Al2011

I know this is an old post but I wanted to update this incase anyone else reads it.

My husband regularly gets a taxi home from the city centre (baggot st/westmooreland st) and he can get it for €35 to the centre of Maynooth town.

You just ask the first taxi of they'll do a fixed price to Maynooth for €35 and if they say no, move down along the line. When he asks for €35 a lot say €40 so some nights he'll go for that.

One night a taxi left on the meter to see, even though he gave us the set price, I can't remember how much it was but it definitely wasn't over €50.

The one thing to note though is that he's either on his own or it's the two of us. Never anymore people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Mr Simpson wrote: »

Just as a matter of interest what was the outcome?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Just as a matter of interest what was the outcome?.

Details were passed to the Guards by the regulator as it turned out to be a dodgy licence. My complaint wasnt followed up for that reason. (Cant suspend somebodies taxi plate if they dont have one)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,905 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Going where? I have *never* found a driver unwilling to a Maynooth run - €45 quid for a fast trip (due to DC/motorway most of the way) is not something any of them are willing to turn down when they could be waiting half an hour to find another job anyway.

This isn't a once off thing - probably done 100+ taxi trips over the past few years. Don't know anyone else who's had any trouble either - which suggests to me that you may be remembering things from about 2003-ish as if they're still current.

MYOB wrote: »
    Going where? I have *never* found a driver unwilling to a Maynooth run - €45 quid for a fast trip (due to DC/motorway most of the way) is not something any of them are willing to turn down when they could be waiting half an hour to find another job anyway.

This isn't a once off thing - probably done 100+ taxi trips over the past few years. Don't know anyone else who's had any trouble either - which suggests to me that you may be remembering things from about 2003-ish as if they're still current.

Nope i've had these experiences this year twice. All of them were for trips which were "too short". I'm talking from O connells bridge to the Matter hospital area. Usually i walk it but i get a taxi if it starts pissing rain. i was refused as it "wasn't worth their while".
    Eventually i always get one by either trying another one or using Halo.

Last summer i came into Dublin airport extremely early on a Sunday morning and no cab would take me as i could only pay by card. Most of the cabs had card machines but said they only take cash. I even asked the guy at the booth and he told me "you can wait and one might come along". In the end i got the aircoach which was next to the rank, much cheaper and they took my card. Technically they didn't refuse me but it seemed a little weird

• Registered Users Posts: 68,905 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I don't see the relevance of using experiences with taking taxis short distances when making recommendations about taking taxis long distances - particularly as it resulted in you giving extremely poor advice.

Taxis are not obliged to take cards - although they should be, with the NTA arranging a block deal to get the current quite high rates they have to pay the providers down.

• Advertisement

MYOB wrote: »
    I don't see the relevance of using experiences with taking taxis short distances when making recommendations about taking taxis long distances - particularly as it resulted in you giving extremely poor advice.

Taxis are not obliged to take cards - although they should be, with the NTA arranging a block deal to get the current quite high rates they have to pay the providers down.

I was responding to someone who said it's the rules that taxis take anybody as long as it is under a certain distance. I said that this is not the case in practise. Which is true. Just because it never happened to you does not mean it never happens :rolleyes:

I know it's not the law they have to take cards, i just mentioned it was quite strange that out of all the taxis in the rank, all of them said they only took cash even though they had card machines. It would have been about 25 euros in fare so i am not sure if that was too low for them.

My advice was to ring ahead an book a taxi while enquiring about the expected price, or maybe look in to booking a hostel in the city if the price was about the same. Which of those were extremely poor?

Advertisement