Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attempted Break In Ballybane Area

Options
  • 27-06-2013 10:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭

I thought would just post this so people keep their heads up.I have read about a lot of burglaries happening in Galway at all hours of the day but for some reason it's still shocking when it happens to you.It was around 12 midday earlier today and the person downstairs heard my side gate that takes you through to the back of the house shaking and rattling.Now i was asleep at the time so he woke me up and said there's two lad's in the front yard.I went downstairs and then i noticed one of them walking up to the sitting room window.He then saw me and backed away from the window and the two of them just walked casually.They weren't alarmed enough to feel like running they just casually walked off.It looks like they were just chancing their arm in the middle of the day.I thought a dog might have ran in on them at first or something but they had no dog and you would hardly spend 10 minutes rattling a side gate and looking in windows for nothing.Of course i alerted the guards and gave them the best description i could of the two fellas but im not hopeful that they can catch them but you never know.They were as helpful as they could be and said that things like this is happening very regularly all over the city.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 2K11

According to friends of mine, two houses were robbed in the Bohermore region at 11am this morning, two men were using screwdrivers to get into houses so I'm not sure If they are related to the men in the Ballybane area, Galway has suddenly went very suspicious though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

happening every day nearly. broad daylight too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

Whereabouts in Ballybane op or can you be that specific?

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Totally Tropical

Asmodean wrote: »
    Whereabouts in Ballybane op or can you be that specific?

The Rahylin Glebe area to be more specific and there has been quite a lot of burglaries in that area and the east city in general over recent weeks.

Thanks for the heads-up, alarming news but that's the way things are going unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 77 ✭✭NoPasaran

The guards don't bother doing anything even when you're literally able to give the names of the people who broke in, who are known scumbags. For the hassle of having to have them come over and ask questions it's really not even worth calling them.

NoPasaran wrote: »
    The guards don't bother doing anything even when you're literally able to give the names of the people who broke in, who are known scumbags. For the hassle of having to have them come over and ask questions it's really not even worth calling them.

Not true exactly members of a known scumbag family broke into a house about a year ago and the guards followed their movements and arrested the thugs outside a cash for gold shop.

Not true exactly members of a known scumbag family broke into a house about a year ago and the guards followed their movements and arrested the thugs outside a cash for gold shop.
    Maybe it depends on how much money and influence the victim has.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,158 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

NoPasaran wrote: »
    Maybe it depends on how much money and influence the victim has.

Or maybe their attitude more likely!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 817 ✭✭✭audman

Just after driving through the Ballybane area on my way to work and all seems quiet. Let it stay that way goddamn it, let it stay that way!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

Ah Jaysus, it's hardly South Central L.A, lads.

If people are concerned, get a fake camera installed on your property, or indeed something like Eircom phone watch.

There's some lovely old families living in Ballybane, who would abhor the thought that people associated their areas with crime.

Maybe think about setting up a local resident's group... but not a vigilante one... we can't go there again. :pac:

Or maybe their attitude more likely!
    Are you implying that when dealing with the Gardai I had actually travelled back in time, knowing that they would do f**k-all about it and as such treated them with the disdain they deserved? Unfortunately my time machine was broken so in reality I was polite and friendly with the expectation that they would be able to do something with all the information I was putting on a plate for them.

The fake cameras a good idea alright but you have to remember that some of the people affected by break-ins are students or people who may not have a lot of extra money to spend on services like phone watch.

I think its a good idea that people are being aware. I wouldn't go around scaremongering but there's nothing wrong with a bit of vigilance amongst folks. I'd let anyone know about potential break ins no matter what area it is occurring in.

Ah Jaysus, it's hardly South Central L.A, lads.

If people are concerned, get a fake camera installed on your property, or indeed something like Eircom phone watch.

There's some lovely old families living in Ballybane, who would abhor the thought that people associated their areas with crime.

Maybe think about setting up a local resident's group... but not a vigilante one... we can't go there again. :pac:

South Central LA it may not be but sure what good would that be to me if those thugs got into my house!What happened has happened and that's the facts of the situation.So i think it's no harm to let people know that there's suspect individuals targeting houses even in broad daylight.All im worried about is my own safety.The reputation of an area is of a secondary concern to me.To be honest i think the many people all over Galway who have been affected by this carry on would agree with me.

Advertisement