Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading, completely confused about RAM

Options
  • 27-06-2013 10:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭

Hi guys,

So I've got great advice so far on upgrading. I'm going piecemeal and trying to buy stuff of adverts to keep the cost down this is what I've got so far

Antec 30
    DVD -
    HDD old pc
    PSU Corsair TX650 off adverts
    AsRock z77 Extreme 4
    GPU Geforce 250 (just to keep me going) eventually buy a 760

I've learnt so much about components in the past week however I have to say that RAM is confusing me. This game really is a hobby, almost makes me want to preorder a Ps4 but then I think of Total War.

If I can't pick something up 2nd hand I'm going to buy 2x4GB RAM and a i5 3570K off amazon sometime next week. (going with amazon over hardwareversand because of the free delivery and good prices if I buy in GBP)

SO I've learnt (which I thought was a lot to learn) that I want 240 pin DDR3 PC3 12800 1600 Mhz CL9 RAM.

However there seems to be limitless types, and I am confused to what Dual channel memory is and if it requires 2 identical sticks? What does this mean for a potential upgrade in the future?

any way here are 2 popular choice.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/G-Skill-Ripjaws-Sandybridge-Platforms-PC12800/dp/B004HZG4ZO/ref=sr_1_1?m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1372369108&sr=1-1&keywords=12800

Says its suitable for CoreDUo, are they not quite old?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Corsair-CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9-1600MHz-Vengeance-Memory/dp/B004CRSM4I/ref=sr_1_2?m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1372369057&sr=1-2&keywords=12800

Its the X version of the one ever gets off hardwareversand whatever that means. says its for sandy bridge?

Maybe I'm completely overthinking these things and choosing RAM is more about picking something rather than obsessing over the details.

Also I remember RAM being cheap than this 6 months ago? Was I just looking at crappy RAM?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

Both are fine but i'd go with the G-skill as heat spreaders are lower and less likely to interfere with your cpu cooler.

Yes ram prices have gone up recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭finlaycm

Is it just me or is this a really good price for and i5 3570K

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Intel-Generation-i5-3570K-3-40GHz-Technology/dp/B007RUZKK6

Thats 175 euro!

finlaycm wrote: »
    Is it just me or is this a really good price for and i5 3570K

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Intel-Generation-i5-3570K-3-40GHz-Technology/dp/B007RUZKK6

Thats 175 euro!

Effing hell thats cheap :eek:

Post that in bargain alerts as its a great deal imo.

**** it I was going to try and get one for cheap second hand but that's 245 for i5 3570K and 8GB of good ram, aint going to do better.

I know I'm going to get it before they find out what they are doing!

• Advertisement

Worth getting it at that price and having it brand new with warrenty,plus not having to deal with some of the awkward type of people you get on adverts :p

No offense to the good sellers though :D

Yeah I just got it, delighted. Strange cause I could of sworn that I loked at the price this morning and it was like 190 GBP

All that's left is putting it together, so exciting!

Oh and a SSD and A GPU - maybe next month.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭Danger781

Feck I am tempted to buy one and try to return my 8350 :-P Only bought it 9 days ago and they offer a 14 day return policy!

Danger781 wrote: »
    Feck I am tempted to buy one and try to return my 8350 :-P Only bought it 9 days ago and they offer a 14 day return policy!

Hehe i know the feeling but i got my haswell to long ago to return it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭Danger781

Ugh I'd be stuck with my CPU cooler though, not worth the effort :-P

• Advertisement
Advertisement